Community discussions

MikroTik App

LaKing
just joined
Topic Author

CAPs client mode set with the reset button, gets forgotten after reboot

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 am

Hello Forum, ...

Using Mikrotik wAP series, after setting CAP mode on the device by holding the reset button for ~10 seconds it works as expected. BUT, after a reboot (power cycle) the AP is not a CAP anymore.

The wAP has leds for:
PWR
5Ghz
2Ghz
AP/CAP
ETH

As far as I understand, if the AP/CAP led is solid green, the device is in client CAP mode. This works, with the reset button I set client mode by holding it for about 10 seconds, and releasing when the AP/CAP led starts blinking. After some time all LEDs are solidly on, and I see the device on the CAPsMAN's list, the wireless network is working as it should be.

However, after unplugging, and plugging in again, the AP/CAP LED does not light up, and the device wifi is broadcasting the default Mikrotic-MAC based wifi. Connecting over wifi, the default WebFig page is not accessible on 192.168.88.1 ...

- resetting with a hold of 5 seconds resets the configuration, WebFig becomes accessible.
- Both, the CAPs and the CAPsMAN has the latest firmware.
- CAP v1

Could anyone confirm that this is a bug?
Is there a workaround?
What is the preferred, but most simple method to set a device to be a CAP client?

I would like to be able to unplug an AP from one network, and use it on another network with a CAPsMAN on a different IP and with a different config. Client CAP mode was working so far, with this method....

I have a fully functional setup with RouterOS 6.43.2
Is this bug introduced with 6.43.4?

LaKing
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CAPs client mode set with the reset button, gets forgotten after reboot

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:06 am

The workaround is to open the terminal, and while the AP is in temporary CAP mode, the terminal will list the configuration and asks to press r to remove or any key to keep and confirm the configuration.

This seems to apply to RouterOS 6.43.4

Thank you.

LaKing
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CAPs client mode set with the reset button, gets forgotten after reboot

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:37 pm

This seems to re-appear in 6.46.1

:(