Community discussions

MikroTik App

Problems with CRS317-1G-16S+ (SwOS only)

I have SFP problems
6 (25%)
I have FAN problems
5 (21%)
I have RSTP problems
2 (8%)
I have web interface slow down problem
5 (21%)
I'm happy with this device. No problems at all
No votes
I'm using RouterOS instead of SwOS
6 (25%)

Total votes: 24

RusConSPb
Topic Author

CRS317-1G-16S+ FAN, SPF and RSTP problems

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Hello everybody!

We have CRS317-1G-16S+ in our lab (actually it should be already in production but we have a lot of problems with this device)

After delivery we upgraded it RouterOS to latest 6.43.4. No settings, default config removed. Then we switched to SwOS boot, factory SwOS firmware was 2.7, manual upgraded to 2.8. Very simple configuration for testing:

SFP modules installed (all Mikrotik brand):

For testing purpose 5 VLANs was configured (1, 405, 410, 420, 430):

VLAN tab :

SFP5 connected to CSR328-24P-4S+ (to SFP1)

SFP16 connected to CCR1036-8G-2S+ (to SFP2 trunk port, VLAN Bridge Filtering configured according to latest (after 6.41) manuals)

all other installed SFP are disconnected

RSTP is ON on all ports, IGMP Snooping is ON in System menu and for all VLANs but not VLAN1

After reboot everything is working as it should. Few hours later we not able to connect from PC connected to CCR to web interface of CRS317 and CRS328. Cooper MGMT port is still working and we are able to connect to CRS317. All ports on CRS328 are working and web interface accessible.

If we go to "Health" menu of CRS317 when SFP doesn't work already we can see:

But normal state after reboot is:

No errors on ports, nothing else suspicious to mention. This switch doesn't have any logging in SwOS mode. But - Web interface extremely slow.

After reboot CRS317 everything fine again for few hours or minutes. Can't say exact time to "SFP death". But it happened every time.

Something wrong with this device, if it's not able to work as simple switch... is it only me or everyone have such problems with this (amazing on paper) device?

Now we try to disable RSTP on all ports and disable IGMP snooping on all VLANs. 16 hours everything working, SFP links accessible, but web interface became slow again, FAN1 RPM - 14080!!! FAN2 - 0

Any chance it will be fixed soon? Maybe we are doing something wrong? Can anybody help?

PS: From our point of view this device is not ready for production at all, SwOS is kind of Beta testing challenge... We have bunch of this switches and we are going to send them back if solution will not be found soon.

RusConSPb
Topic Author

Re: CRS317-1G-16S+ FAN, SPF and RSTP problems

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Anyone? Mikrotik team? I thought it was a support forum...

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Perhaps MikroTik Support will see your post and respond but I suggest that if you want quicker action contact Mikrotik Support via an emai and they will open a ticket and respond to your info. I do not currently use MikroTik switches so I cannot comment on your issue.

You can contact MikroTik Support at the following address support@mikrotik.com

RusConSPb
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Perhaps MikroTik Support will see your post and respond but I suggest that if you want quicker action contact Mikrotik Support via an emai and they will open a ticket and respond to your info. I do not currently use MikroTik switches so I cannot comment on your issue.

You can contact MikroTik Support at the following address support@mikrotik.com
All i want to know - will they fix it soon or not. There are a lot of other posts about same problems, Mikrotik continue to sell this product but don't want to make it work as it should with SwOS.

MIKROTIK, please tell us - should we wait a bit and you will fix it, or should we take another vendor?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:33 pm

At least you have the options of using RouterOS. On my 260GS models its only SwOS :-((((((( emoji- crying, emoji - hitting myself in the head with a bat for buying them

RusConSPb
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:19 pm

At least you have the options of using RouterOS. On my 260GS models its only SwOS :-((((((( emoji- crying, emoji - hitting myself in the head with a bat for buying them
Will it solve our problems? RouterOS is good in CRS317 or it's hardware problem?

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Will it solve our problems? RouterOS is good in CRS317 or it's hardware problem?
At this stage it would be interesting to find out if RouterOS would solve your problem ... Why don't you give it a try and see what happens?

RusConSPb
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm

At this stage it would be interesting to find out if RouterOS would solve your problem ... Why don't you give it a try and see what happens?
Very good question. Our company paid a lot for this products and they MUST work as advertised and we don't get paid for beta-testing by Mikrotik. I'm totally sure that such testing should be done by Mikrotik. Look at D-Link forum - they react in 24 hours and they try to reproduce errors in own lab. This is professional approach. Mikrotik does not even consider it necessary to respond in their own forum. At the moment we don't have time and people to "play" with this CRSs. Maybe I will spend next weekend (my private time) for this kind of experiments.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Very good question. Our company paid a lot for this products and they MUST work as advertised and we don't get paid for beta-testing by Mikrotik. I'm totally sure that such testing should be done by Mikrotik. Look at D-Link forum - they react in 24 hours and they try to reproduce errors in own lab. This is professional approach. Mikrotik does not even consider it necessary to respond in their own forum. At the moment we don't have time and people to "play" with this CRSs. Maybe I will spend next weekend (my private time) for this kind of experiments.
Its a shame that MikroTik support has not as yet participated in this thread ... You provided excellent evidence of the problem --- So I do agree with you that a morte professional approach would be welcome. If it was me I would immediately try RouterOS and see if that solves the issue because I want my productions systems working properly ASAP without further delay.

nonenonenone
just joined

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:00 am

Me too. Fan issues are the same.
fan1 14xxxrpm, fan2 0rpm
So I upgraded swos v2.9.
But the problem got worse.
At first it works fine.
After a while the red led lights up and the actual rpm goes up and down in a short cycle.
I changed the fan(12v/pwm).
But the problem is the same.

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:04 pm

SwOS v2.9 has few changes which require updated fan controller firmware that comes only within RouterOS.
Please upgrade the CRS3xx to RouterOS v6.44beta61, the fan firmware will upgrade along with it.
Then you will be able to use SwOS v2.9 and can downgrade RouterOS if necessary as well.

grobbarg
just joined

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi all, new to the forum, and first post - I notice there have been some issues with the fans for the CRS317 with mine and posts from this and other forums.
I purchased mine a couple weeks ago to be used as 10G switch with one workstation and two NASes connected via SFP+ and OM3, I had a mixture of Intel and Chelsio transceivers, used in the CRS317 and the other hardware.
On installation of CRS317 I immediately upgraded to SwOS v2.9, connected up all the other hardware and straight away noticed the fans spinning up and down every 6 minutes.
On instruction from Support I've also upgraded to RouterOS v6.44beta61, but still had the issues, both in ROS and SwOS.

I can say that the CPU temp never displayed over 32DegC, but the transceivers would range between 35 and 39 DegC

On a hunch I removed all the Intel and Chelsio transceivers and replaced with new FS transceivers which seem to run at cooler temps. - not more than 35DegC, and now the CRS317 is silent as I expected it to be.

I've asked the question from support, but not quite got the answer yet - what actually controls the fans? - is it the CPU temp. or the transceivers? Can anyone explain the above behaviour please?
I worry that as the ambient temperature is low just now at 19DegC, come the summer time with a possible 25DegC ambient temperature the problems will return.

TIA for any input.

kosyot

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:35 pm

We using some CRS317, all with SwOS, but in diferent confugurations.

Last stable SwOS release for this switch is 2.7 !!
Revert to it and you will have no problem.
Check the topic for SwOS 2.9 and you will see that NO ONE can use it on CRS317 - all LEDs -> turned on, no web management, serial -> work all the time.
MikroTik knows about the problems with 317 in 2.8 and 2.9, but it seems that don't know how to fixed.

kosyot

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 am

SwOS v2.9 has few changes which require updated fan controller firmware that comes only within RouterOS.
Please upgrade the CRS3xx to RouterOS v6.44beta61, the fan firmware will upgrade along with it.
Then you will be able to use SwOS v2.9 and can downgrade RouterOS if necessary as well.
Tested:
  • booted RouterOS
  • upgraded to 6.44beta61
  • back to SwOS
  • upgraded from 2.7 to 2.9
Absolutely same story ! After less than 3 minutes up time, switch loses communication to itself, after that stopped all traffic thru it. After 10-15 sec restored and that repeats on 5-10 min till switch dies and only console stays in working order.
I can show you video, how leds on switch blinking when its lose communications....
shame...