Community discussions

O1992
just joined
Topic Author

Extend VLAN across 2 routers

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Hello,

I have been tasked to propagate a VLAN across 2 different routers. The easiest way that comes to my mind is to connect both routers with a cable and configure the required VLAN on both ports.

For some reason I haven't managed to make it work so far and I was wondering if I am missing something... Could someone clue me what to do or point me to some documentation?

Best

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Extend VLAN across 2 routers

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Is this a class assignment or what?
Cause it sure sounds like your not the IT for a business or a company that provides IT services for a small business.

Which two pieces of equipment are you using to connect the vlans?
Also most vlans have to do with a router attached to managed switches for example or router to access points........
Normally one doesnt vlan across routers, cause thats called VPN, or MT can also do EOIP which is probably closer to vlans than vpns..........

enggheisar
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Extend VLAN across 2 routers

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 am

Hello,

I have been tasked to propagate a VLAN across 2 different routers. The easiest way that comes to my mind is to connect both routers with a cable and configure the required VLAN on both ports.

For some reason I haven't managed to make it work so far and I was wondering if I am missing something... Could someone clue me what to do or point me to some documentation?

Best
are your routers connected directly together? can you tell us what their situation and how many vlan you have?
--
Respectfully,
MohammadTayyebi@Gmail.com