Community discussions

alexpiccioli
just joined
Topic Author

Failover with recursive routing stays on backup connection

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 am

Hi guys,

Finally I have failover with recursive routing working (attached). Used mainly Tomas Kirnak approach (many thanks!). I have a question about it. I notice that not always come back to main connection, let say, router goes to isp1 which is main, primary connection, fast but unstable, when missed pings succeed then router goes to secondary, backup connection, and stays there. Eventually changes to primary many times but finally stays on secondary and does not goes back to primary. My question is: Im missing something on my config ? (I do have blackhole route disabled but dont now how to use it), primary connection instability makes router decides not to go back to primary any more ?, How router evaluates routes ?, thanks for answering
Pic2.png
Pic1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Failover with recursive routing stays on backup connection

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi

for faster route switch back, have you tried switching the "/ip setting route-cache off"?

alexpiccioli
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi sebastia, I never heard about that, I do not know how it works. I will look for its use and implementation

alexpiccioli
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:19 pm

route-cache (yes | no; Default: yes): Disable or enable Linux route cache. Note that by disabling route cache, it will also disable fast path. What is a fast path ?

alexpiccioli
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:26 pm

taken from another forum <=viewtopic.php?t=127311=>, Fastpath requires route-cache in order to work. If you disable route-cache, you disable fastpath (and by extension, fasttrack). What is the meaning of this...?

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:36 pm

That is the consequence, but was wondering if it would solve your switching issue.

alexpiccioli
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Ok, I will do it (will update changes also). Thanks

alexpiccioli
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:55 pm

One question: Could this change slow down the connection to internet ?

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:14 pm

depending on the hardware used, you might hit the limit before reaching max of you connection. You can still revert back later.

enggheisar
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 am

Hi guys,

Finally I have failover with recursive routing working (attached). Used mainly Tomas Kirnak approach (many thanks!). I have a question about it. I notice that not always come back to main connection, let say, router goes to isp1 which is main, primary connection, fast but unstable, when missed pings succeed then router goes to secondary, backup connection, and stays there. Eventually changes to primary many times but finally stays on secondary and does not goes back to primary. My question is: Im missing something on my config ? (I do have blackhole route disabled but dont now how to use it), primary connection instability makes router decides not to go back to primary any more ?, How router evaluates routes ?, thanks for answering

Pic2.png
Pic1.png
Disabling fast route can help you but you need to be more careful about consequences in other hand There is some problem with that and that is why I recommended to use Netwatch instead of check gateway with ping,
You Assume your router has access to your ISP1 but your ISP1 has internal problem so in that case you never switch to the ISP2.
--
Respectfully,
MohammadTayyebi@Gmail.com

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 am

Disabling fast route can help you but you need to be more careful about consequences in other hand

You Assume your router has access to your ISP1 but your ISP1 has internal problem so in that case you never switch to the ISP2.
You talk about consequences: which?

Do note that the "recurive routing" is already doing "gateway" check to internet, through ISP network and beyond.

alexpiccioli
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Good morning, is working already. I would like to know what router-chache does...

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:36 pm

It it's name states, it keeps a list of previously calculated routes from x to y for later reuse. After a while an entry gets invalidated, removed and needs to be calculated a new.