Community discussions

Martooo
just joined
Topic Author

NEW Public Bandwith Test Server

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:32 am

Hello mikrotik fans,

I will be bringing up a btest server soon. I have preprared one RB800 and a 1Gbit connection dedicated only for the sake of testing.
It is ready, but I want to limit the usage somehow before I post it public. I have created filter rule for input that puts your IP in ban address list for X period of time.

I can't figure out how to limit the test sessions per time. You can basically let it run indefinately. Can you tell me how to disconnect every btest connection for example on 5min?

nescafe2002
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: NEW Public Bandwith Test Server

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Nice work!

You can check out the configuration of TomjNorthIdaho posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104266&p=690150#p690150
/ip firewall raw
add action=accept chain=prerouting comment="testers accepted" src-address-list=tester
add action=drop chain=prerouting comment="previous testers drop" src-address-list=previous
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=tester address-list-timeout=2m chain=prerouting comment="add to tester" dst-port=2000-2100 protocol=tcp
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=tester address-list-timeout=2m chain=prerouting comment="add to tester" dst-port=2000-2100 protocol=udp
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=previous address-list-timeout=15m chain=prerouting comment="add to previous" dst-port=2000-2100 log=yes protocol=tcp
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=previous address-list-timeout=15m chain=prerouting comment="add to previous" dst-port=2000-2100 log=yes protocol=udp

This will limit tests to 2m every 15m per ip address.

neutronlaser
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:33 pm

It's almost like Mikrotik should run one

Martooo
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:04 pm

I did check his config and set it up nicely. Everything works except when the timer runs out for "testing" address list it wouldnt drop the traffic server>client only the other way. This issue appears only when testing UDP. With TCP test there is no problem. I worked on this for about 6 hours last night and I couldnt find a solution. Anyone else experenced this iisue?

Should I provide any screenshots?

nescafe2002
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Have you enabled fasttrack? I will probably bypass raw firewall, however doesn't explain why tcp is working.

Please do no post screenshots, just export config ( /export hide-sensitive ) and paste in code blocks.

Also.. TomjNorthIdaho mentioned more than a terabyte of traffic per month hosting public bandwidth server.
Are you sure your connection can handle such large amount of traffic?

Martooo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:25 pm

I have enabled fasttrack, but it doesn't count packets so I guess i doesn't apply for this.

I will post config as soon as I can.

The mikrotik will be in a datacenter for the clients to test their bandwith and also for public use. So yes the network behind it will handle alot ;)

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:52 pm

It's almost like Mikrotik should run one

Please forward the bandwidth test link for Cisco, Juniper, Huawei, Zyxel, TP-Link, ....
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE