Community discussions

MikroTik App

rudivd
just joined
Topic Author

Weird iOS behaviour to hAP ac

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:42 am

Hi all,

On my network I use hAPac devices as accesspoints (not as router). The clients are almost all apple devices. (mac(book), iPhone, iPad).
I am running 6.44.75 beta to get (ac) connectivity to the newer devices. With both 6.44.75 beta and earlier versions I see on the iOS
(all of them !) devices weird behaviour using either the facebook or Instagram app. other stuff seems to go smoothly. Often images,
and more often comments/ reactions do not load in the app, while connected with either 2 or 5 GHz to the hAP ac. (this is a network
with v6 enabled, if i disable v6 same behaviour). Macbook(s) are ok, seems the iOS apps are doing something that the mikrotik does
not like in my setup.
When I connect to another AP on this segment, that happens to be an apple time capsule (in bridging mode), I do not see the described
behaviour, so I have some suspicion on the Mikrotik device(s) (multiple) and / or their settings. (I already use LongPreamble)

Any suggestions where to look / what to do ?

Rudi

rudivd
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Weird iOS behaviour to hAP ac

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:39 pm

After posting the issue on reddit one user suggested to set the multicast-helper to “full”
( from default ) on the wireless interface(s). This seems to has solved the issue at least
for now. :-) What exactly does this setting do in relation to the observed behaviour remains
to be investigated.

Any comments on this ?

R

neutronlaser

Re: Weird iOS behaviour to hAP ac

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:37 pm

Multicast helper listens to multicasts and is helpful with it.