Community discussions

MikroTik App

kintho
just joined
Topic Author

Problem to choose the right hardware

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 am

Hello,
I'm trying to understand what type of routerboard I need to buy in order to use it with no perfomance issues with 10, 20 o 30 PC on the LAN.

I've tried a RB450Gx4 on a LAN with 10 PC with no problem (100/20Mbit DSL).

I've used the same routerboard on a LAN with 20 PC with a 100/20 Mbit DSL and a single VPN to a remote location (with low bandwith usage) and I've noted many disconnections on the VPN tunnell.

What can you suggest in this three type of configurations using VPN tunnels (max 3 with traffic around )?

Thank you, regards

Max

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Problem to choose the right hardware

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:25 am

Your RB450Gx4 has enough performance and AES hardware acceleration for all 3 situations.l

I used a Hex Lite, a very cheap Mikrotik router, for 80 PCs and one IPSec tunnel for site-to-site. The Hex Lite does not have AES hardware acceleration so I had to slow Microsoft DFS to 3 mbit/s otherwise the CPU would max out and all users noticed slow internet. I've since upgraded it to a regular Hex with AES hardware acceleration and lifted the throttle, it performs well. Your RB450Gx4 has better specs than the Hex.

If your VPN is disconnecting regularly, then I'm thinking it's not a performance issue. Using Winbox, you can monitor the CPU usage. For your VPN, IPSec is the only VPN that uses hardware acceleration. So L2TP/IPsec for road warriors, and regular IPSec tunnels or GRE/IPSec for site-to-site VPNs.

EaqSup
just joined

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:31 am

How can I monitor the hardware usage and the VPN issues of the box?

The problem is real: if I disable the VPN tunnel on the board and I use a client on the PC all is ok.
As soon as I try to use the VPN on Routerboard I have again the disconnetcions.

The problem happen on three different boards in three different locations!

Thank you.

EaqSup
just joined

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:48 pm

I think you need to use RB450Gx4, Its enough.
Ok, so can you tell me how can I investigate for the present issues?

neutronlaser

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Look at logs