Community discussions

MikroTik App

nick52
just joined
Topic Author

Supermicro PC and RB532

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:45 pm

Hi MikroTik community!

I have to realyze a project where a site has 4 PtP links (10 Mbps full-duplex each one) and an omnidirectional link, wich have to gather the traffic of 5 CPEs.

My opinion is to use 5 RB532, four of them for each one PtP links and one for the omnidirectional link. The 5 RB532 are connected together by a hub/switch Ethernet.

Another solution is to use only one Supermicro PC with 5 PCI slots with 5 Wireless cards.

Do you think the last one could be the solution?

May anyone give me any suggestion, please?

mcozio

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:47 pm

1pc and 5 card - will not work with speed you want to reach, I got p4 2,4 ghz with 5 cards and effect - 2-3m mbps each at traffic time ..

nick52
just joined
Topic Author

Supermicro PC and RB532

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:03 pm

mcozio,
how many wireless cards may have a PC, at max, in your opinion?

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:19 pm

nick52 -
I don't know what mcozio's setup is but I have a unit w/4 cards in it (5Ghz nstreme dual bonded), 1.4Ghz AMD processor, and I get a LOT BETTER that 2-3Mbps. Typically these units run 10-15Mbps full duplex day and night. I believe that MT has demo'ed a unit at one of the MUMs that was able to achieve 300Mbps (in the lab) w/3 dual nstreme bonded channels. You won't get that kind of performance in the real world but it's nice to know what can be achieved.....

Looking at what you want to do, and if you never plan to go much faster than 15Mbps per link, the RB532s each in it's own box, and some very directional antenne should get you what you want. I say the 15Mbps limit - this is due to the speed at which the RB532 operates at - you might be able to burst to 20Mbps - depends on what other services you have running, encryption, firewalling, etc.

Also by using multiple boards you get away from a single point of failure for the entire network - something to think about...

Thom
Thom Lawless
General Manager
RapidWiFi, LLC
thom.lawless [at] rapidwifi.com

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:27 pm

nick52 -
I don't know what mcozio's setup is but I have a unit w/4 cards in it (5Ghz nstreme dual bonded), 1.4Ghz AMD processor, and I get a LOT BETTER that 2-3Mbps. Typically these units run 10-15Mbps full duplex day and night. I believe that MT has demo'ed a unit at one of the MUMs that was able to achieve 300Mbps (in the lab) w/3 dual nstreme bonded channels. You won't get that kind of performance in the real world but it's nice to know what can be achieved.....

Looking at what you want to do, and if you never plan to go much faster than 15Mbps per link, the RB532s each in it's own box, and some very directional antenne should get you what you want. I say the 15Mbps limit - this is due to the speed at which the RB532 operates at - you might be able to burst to 20Mbps - depends on what other services you have running, encryption, firewalling, etc.

Also by using multiple boards you get away from a single point of failure for the entire network - something to think about...

Thom
You also should consider Interference between wireless cards and
pigtails within one PC-Housing. I would prefer RB532.

Stefan

mcozio

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:26 pm

if it is a pure ap for users about 2-3 cards, if a bridge p-t-p 1 or 2 for good speed. CPU works worse if it has to put 2 processes - divide power for two cards - 5ghz takes more than 2,4ghz to support good link.

Look at post "65km" and this what marksx wrote - p3-1ghz point to point - 80 mbps with nstreme-dual with 5g-turbo- it's not so bad, :D

I will try to test at my place - 7 km with 90cm 2xdish and 2xpanel antennas, p3-933mhz / 128 mb ram, signal about -62/-64. If I get 50 mbps I will be in heaven.

greetings

mcozio

nick52
just joined
Topic Author

Re:

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:20 pm

if it is a pure ap for users about 2-3 cards, if a bridge p-t-p 1 or 2 for good speed. CPU works worse if it has to put 2 processes - divide power for two cards - 5ghz takes more than 2,4ghz to support good link.

Look at post "65km" and this what marksx wrote - p3-1ghz point to point - 80 mbps with nstreme-dual with 5g-turbo- it's not so bad, :D

I will try to test at my place - 7 km with 90cm 2xdish and 2xpanel antennas, p3-933mhz / 128 mb ram, signal about -62/-64. If I get 50 mbps I will be in heaven.

greetings

mcozio
mcozio,
have you done the test? What are the results?

marksx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Supermicro PC and RB532

Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:18 pm

PC's aren't good for multicard setups regarding to their IRQ bottleneck - it's only 32bit PCI.
You probably won't find PC which running 5 (or more) cards won't have IRQ conflict.
In my setup i have 4 cards, but often telling people when they want to archieve 100% of their wireless setup they should consider removin 2 of them and setup another PC...
Simple test:

eth - PC/w 2xATH - nstremedual- PC/w 4x Ath - nstremedual- PC/w 2xAT - eth

you won't be able to push more than 30-40Mbps of real life full duplex traffic, but if you divide central pc into two different machines connected through ethernes - there shouldn't be any problem to have 60-65Mbps of real full duplex traffic