Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kronyx
just joined
Topic Author

Need help for get rid of the HH3k with Bell Fibe

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi !

I just bought a RB4011 router to get rid of the bell HH3k router, i know that the GPON module is not compatible with the router but i have a media converter (fiber to rj-45) i also want to configuer the TV on the router.

Does anyone have a how to for this ? Or show me is configuration and what to modify ? I have some network basic.

Thanks !

Error0x29A
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Need help for get rid of the HH3k with Bell Fibe

Wed May 01, 2019 3:18 am

Do you know about this thread?
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31118 ... meHub-3000

Yes it is long but information should be there.
I would also not discard possibility of using this module directly in RB4011. Bell provides different Huawei and Nokia modules. There were some issues with one model.

Start, by making sure that RouterOS is upgraded to the latest version then insert the SFP module to see if it is detected and display basic info like SN, Vendor, temperature. etc.

Kronyx
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Yes i looked at this post but there is too much informations and a lot if hit or miss, i was looking for someone who did it with a Mikrotik router ;-) I'll test the SFP module in the router.

Thanks !

bolmsted
just joined

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:01 am

Any luck with getting Bell Home Hub 3000 replaces with RB4011 or other similar hardware? I saw the poster in the DSL reports thread was using a CRS switch but everything I see says to not use RouterOS on the switch to turn on bridging or routing and you will see performance impacts but if I could run bridging/firewall on the SFP+ on the 10GBps port with a 2.5Gbps GPON then could potentially not see any performance impact on lower speeds if it can route 75% with 25 rules on 10Gbps port

If I went to CRS switch I’m no different then the HEX router plugged into the HH3000 via cat6 in DMZ where I’m getting about 650-700 type speeds but I want to remove this HH3000

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:23 pm

I went another route, ditched Bell TV, and use their alcatel ONT plugged into my MT router. Easy peasy.
Just get IPTV, way better anyway. Combine that with an EMBY or PLEX account (similiar to IPTV but for tv shows movies) etc.
You will never look back.

bolmsted
just joined

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:15 am

Which Mikrotik did you use to replace the Bell Home Hub 3000. I have the Hauwei ONT SFP GPON that syncs at 2.5Gbps. I see a lot of people using 1Gbps SFP media converters with their routers but the MikroTik routers don’t seem to support above 1Gbps (RB2011, CRS) or don’t support at all (RB4011)

My RB750GR3 can’t get above 650-700 and doesn’t perform well as a pppoe client compared to being a dhcp client to HH3000

ieatkittens
just joined

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:01 am

I am generally pretty tech savvy but I am at a bit of a loss getting this working myself. I have a Hex S - does anyone have any tips on configuring this to work with Bell? I live in Atlantic Canada - we do not use PPPOE here - but I imagine I am am configuring the VLAN tagging wrong.

I have the module plugged into the router and it is recognized. There is a link established on the SFP1 port and it's set as the WAN. I can see packets being transmitted, but after the initial negotiation, none are received, and no IP address is assigned to the WAN

I got the Hex due to slow speeds with the media converter I was using previously (500mbps or less)

If anyone could walk me through the config that is needed for this router to properly tag the traffic across the WAN with VLAN 35 I would be incredibly grateful!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi Kittens, Dartmouth here,
No way I see to replace the HH3 at the moment and I have used a hex and now a ccr1009.
When the bell fiber folks came to upgrade my setup, they came with the HH3 and I said, can I get a public IP, (passthrough/bridge mode) with the HH3 and the tech said no.
So my reply was to say I dont want the HH3 so he gave me an alcatel lucent small modem instead. This works well with any MT router as the modem passes a public IP.
This was okay for me because:
a. I didnt want their wifi'
b. I didnt want Bell TV either

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:05 pm

I just bought a RB4011 router to get rid of the bell HH3k router, i know that the GPON module is not compatible with the router but i have a media converter (fiber to rj-45) i also want to configuer the TV on the router.
With RouterOS version 6.47.1 you can now use the Bell provided GPON Transceiver [HUAWEI MA5671A] on the RB4011 SFP+ Port ... no need for the media converter ... and this gets rid of the HH#K completly.

Confirmed by igorfie

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:56 pm

Mozerd, can you elaborate on what this epon looks like and where is the usual ONT/Modem in that setup.
I suspect Ontario Bell maybe doing things differently from Atlantic Bell??

PS my SFP+ cage to copper converter from mikrotik didnt work with Bell or my plain jane Cable connection. (this is straight ethernet7 cable from router to ONT/Modem)
On bell it would not grab an IP or gateway at all (vlan35) and on Cable it would grap an IP and gateway but not pass any data (no email no internet) very weird.
I suspect that there is something wrong on the cage or on the firmware on the router for the sfp+ port.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:46 pm

@anav
The link below shows the connection diagram between the OLT and the ONT and the Router.
The HUAWEI MA5671A transceiver is the Optical Network Terminal pre-configured by Bell and initialized when the HH3K is first installed in the client premises. After the CPE [HH3K] is installed the GPON Transceiver can then be removed from the HH3K and then put into your Tilk Router's SFP port -- this is in ONTARIO and QUEBEC only because Bell Ontario/Quebec uses GPON. And one still needs to configure the VLAN's for Internet, IPTV and Phone all depending on the service one subscribe too.

Atlantic Bell uses EPON .... this means that you take the Ethernet cable coming out of your ONT and plug it directly into your Tik's designated Ethernet port for WAN. You still need to configure the VLAN's for Internet, IPTV and Phone all depending on the service you subscribe too.

Your CCR1009 SFP+ cage to copper converter does not work because there is a Ethernet mismatch or there is some other issue in the conversion to Ethernet .... so if you want to use that port for WAN MilroTik will need to fix the issue ... BUT because your BELL connection is EPON and NOT GPON then why bother with the SFP when the Ethernet port will work perfectly.
Last edited by mozerd on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:43 pm

@anav
The link below shows the connection diagram between the OLT and the ONT and the Router.
The HUAWEI MA5671A transceiver is the Optical Network Terminal pre-configured by Bell and initialized when the HH3K is first installed in the client premises. After the CPE [HH3K] is installed the GPON Transceiver can then be removed from the HH3K and then put into your Tilk Router's SFP port -- this is in ONTARIO only because Bell Ontario is GPON. And one still needs to configure the VLAN's for Internet, IPTV and Phone all depending on the service one subscribe too.

Atlantic Bell uses EPON .... this means that you take the Ethernet cable coming out of your ONT and plug it directly into your Tik's designated Ethernet port for WAN. You still need to configure the VLAN's for Internet, IPTV and Phone all depending on the service you subscribe too.

Your CCR1009 SFP+ cage to copper converter does not work because there is a Ethernet mismatch or there is some other issue in the conversion to Ethernet .... so if you want to use that port for WAN MilroTik will need to fix the issue ... BUT because your BELL connection is EPON and NOT GPON then why bother with the SFP when the Ethernet port will work perfectly.
I concur with your assessments. The reason I may consider using the SPF+ port at some time is when I go above 1 gig down, speeds. Currently they are offering a 1.5gb down speed and that is beyond the capability of the SFP combo port. Since they supposedly with current configuration get to a 2.5 up and down scenario with the equipment in place, the SFP+ port could handle that negotiation. If the SFP+ Port could deal with vlan fibre internet or PLAIN JANE cable internet. Agree MT has some work to do here. Yes, I am assuming that the ethernet jacks on the ONT would e able to pump out 2.5 gigs as well. Either way, I am ready for whatever tech epon or gpon they decide to go, just need MT to catch up.

zadigre
just joined

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 pm

any hope to see 2.5Gbps sync in the future or hardware is limited to 1 or 10 Gbps only?

Deslok
just joined

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:25 pm

any hope to see 2.5Gbps sync in the future or hardware is limited to 1 or 10 Gbps only?
The S+RJ10 supports 2.5GbaseT as do others like the Ipolex SFP-10G-T-S (I'd link amazon and a video I did featuring the ipolex but i'm not sure if i'm allowed per forum rules off hand) These are fully supported in the RB4011 per the table wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_SFP_module_compatibility_table

bolmsted
just joined

Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:29 am

They (and I) want 2.5Gbps sync on the SFP+ Fibre port and not an RJ45 SFP. Ie 2500Base-R

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:05 pm

I do not believe that MikroTik will support 2.5Gbps anytime soon for SFP(+) ..... its either 1Gbps or 10Gbps

In Canada most ISP who support FFTH [FTTP] will be going to 1Gbps or 5Gbps or 10Gbps .... 2.5Gbps is just a one trick pony :-)

hahnhell
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:17 pm

No way I see to replace the HH3 at the moment and I have used a hex and now a ccr1009.
When the bell fiber folks came to upgrade my setup, they came with the HH3 and I said, can I get a public IP, (passthrough/bridge mode) with the HH3 and the tech said no.
So my reply was to say I dont want the HH3 so he gave me an alcatel lucent small modem instead. This works well with any MT router as the modem passes a public IP.
Sorry to hijack this discussion, but @Anav, would you be able to provide me with the model of your Alcatel modem and how you did your setup with your MT router? I also have a RB4011 and am planning on switching over to Bell Fibe. I currently am with another provider that does FTTH but their GPON is not compatible, not sure if the new Bell one will be either, but just looking into options before I switch.

Thanks!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:31 am

Sorry to hijack this discussion, but @Anav, would you be able to provide me with the model of your Alcatel modem and how you did your setup with your MT router? I also have a RB4011 and am planning on switching over to Bell Fibe. I currently am with another provider that does FTTH but their GPON is not compatible, not sure if the new Bell one will be either, but just looking into options before I switch.

Thanks!
Yeah no issues send me an email. You are in Ottawa so I doubt its the same setup.

rjnewbie
just joined

Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:51 pm

I am generally pretty tech savvy but I am at a bit of a loss getting this working myself. I have a Hex S - does anyone have any tips on configuring this to work with Bell? I live in Atlantic Canada - we do not use PPPOE here - but I imagine I am am configuring the VLAN tagging wrong.

I have the module plugged into the router and it is recognized. There is a link established on the SFP1 port and it's set as the WAN. I can see packets being transmitted, but after the initial negotiation, none are received, and no IP address is assigned to the WAN

I got the Hex due to slow speeds with the media converter I was using previously (500mbps or less)

If anyone could walk me through the config that is needed for this router to properly tag the traffic across the WAN with VLAN 35 I would be incredibly grateful!
Hey, I live in Atlantic Canada too. Were you able to get this working?

404Network
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Nope not possible as Bell Atlantic does not use the same type of protocols as in Ontario.
I just got them to provide an alcatel LUCENT ONT, and you just plug in the ethernet cable into the designated WAN port of the mikrotik.
I dont use bell TV so it works, just have vlan35 set to that port and she works!!

As for bell TV thats much trickier. The bell TV comes in on a different VLAN and the router has to be able to conduct a handshake with that vlan with the right priority bits or something set to 4 if I recall and I couldnt do this with my zyxell router ( even though they had a firmware update to have this capability except it worked everywhere except the initial handshake with Bell). I never tried with Bell mainly because I had already converted to IPTV, Bell TV is over priced anyway so I just use IPTV.

koolandrew

Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:18 pm

Hi, did anyone ever have any luck with this setup.

The fibre link is established as i can see it in the logs, but little else.

I have assigned the ppoe to each of the sfp1 connection and the the vlan (id 35) and neither works although i have found at least there is a message in the log when assigned to the vlan, "failed to authenticate ourselves to peer".

I have not even got as far as the TV side as of yet.

Can anyone share with their setup to get this work as i have run out of ideas?

Thanks