Community discussions

marcos22496
just joined
Topic Author

Unusual hotspot setup/configuration

Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm

I'm trying to setup a hotspot to show the webpage of the customer and then, pepople can browser the internet. No need for user and passwords I only want to show the webpage of this restaurant, shop...

I'have tried several things but with no much succes.

The point is, if the client is Android,IOS or Windows detect that they have internet access, they don't show the login.html and If I only allow acces (with wallet garden) to the webpage of the customer, none of the social links that are inside the webpage, work (cause they are not in the wallet garden).

Anyone knows an effect way of using the routeros hotspot to show webpages like an ad and then allow interent acces?

With javascript is quite simple, I can wait a few secons to show the page, and then auto-fill the form with user/passw but i don't know why, javascript is not being executed.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unusual hotspot setup/configuration

Thu May 30, 2019 12:11 am

The point of hotspot is to block internet access before users log in. If you do that, they will show login page. And you can use javascript to auto-fill form and login, I don't see why it shouldn't work. Of course you will have problem with external links from login page, because user seeing that page didn't log in yet, so links won't work. And if you unblock access to those external servers, you can easily unblock too much and clients' hotspot detection may fail to work and login page won't be shown at all.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

marcos22496
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2019 2:27 pm

The point of hotspot is to block internet access before users log in. If you do that, they will show login page. And you can use javascript to auto-fill form and login, I don't see why it shouldn't work. Of course you will have problem with external links from login page, because user seeing that page didn't log in yet, so links won't work. And if you unblock access to those external servers, you can easily unblock too much and clients' hotspot detection may fail to work and login page won't be shown at all.
I don't know why, but if I use:

<script type="text/javascript">
alert("test");
</script>

In the end of the index.html, nothing happens. (a javascript alert message should be displayed)

If I load the index.html file on Windows/Chrome, the alert appears as it should.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Check if browser received whole index.html content. I wouldn't be surprised if browsers, when displaying hotspot page, would run in a kind of degraded mode to prevent from running some malicious code before user decided that current wireless network is fine to use...
BR,
Metod