Community discussions

routiti
just joined
Topic Author

Positioning Fan CCR1036

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Hello,

I am performing an energy audit of a rack which has a CCR1036-12G-4S, in order to make more efficient heat extraction I would like to know the position of the fans of the Router.

Is the hot air expelled from the front or from the back?

Do the fans breathe air from outside or take air from inside the router?

Thank you for all

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Positioning Fan CCR1036

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:17 pm

First of all, the photo shows the old CCR1036. Which one will you use? The new ones are different
No answer to your question? How to write posts

routiti
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello

I will use a CCR1036-12G-4S

The photo it's download in internet and maybe not it's this model.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:34 pm

So you need to find out what you will use, before anyone can answer your questions :D
No answer to your question? How to write posts

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:56 pm

@normis, are you saying that CCR1036 of different vintage differ considerably regarding what OP is asking? I don't think he's after precise fan positioning (to milimetre exact), I believe he's after more high level answers. Like: does hot air exit on the back or does it rather escape through some top/bottom/side holes? Or is it even expelled on the front (and is thus meant to be mounted at the back side of equipment rack)? Likewise does the unit suck air from some determined direction (e.g. through front plate holes) or through random cracks in any side wall (preferably adjacent to fan exaust)?

I guess an answer stating something like "95% of air flow is pushed out by fans on back side and enters passively through venting holes on front plate" would be accepted by OP. Because, you know, air flow direction through and around equipment rack does matter and energy efficient cooling should consider any potential pockets of hot air or misdirected hot air flow. Not everybody immerses their gear into huge lake of freezing air anymore.
BR,
Metod

eldoncito2019

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 pm

in my opinion, I would place the fans to extract hot air from the inside of the equipment, since if you place them to inject cold air into the equipment, you run the risk of extending the heat throughout the plate causing overheating of the same , I hope you understand me.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:47 pm

The picture pasted by OP shows that fans are working on air flowing directly over CPU heat sink. And yes, every sensible engineer would construct fans to suck the air out of case in this kind of device layout.

However, the new CCR1036 features twin power supplies and it seems that it's got additional venting path between those PSes. The photograph of exterior does not say whether additional fan, pushing air out, is mounted or the vents are simple hole - in which case part of air expelled by fans will enter CCR from the back - which is usually hot-air zone. Which makes this vent hole without a fan mounted, IMHO, a bad design decission. Hopefully it is easy to mount a fan there (and board provides needed fan power connector).
BR,
Metod