Community discussions

MikroTik App

TheFox21
just joined
Topic Author

hEX (RB750Gr3) Serial Console

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi,

how can I enable a Serial Console on my hEX (RB 750G r3). Since it doesn't have a serial port is it possible via the USB port? I found this Reddit post but was not revealing.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: hEX (RB750Gr3) Serial Console

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Sadly there is UART on the board (you could solder the connection) but it's not enabled in ROS and thus not usable by user.
So only way is to use usb to serial converter and after it appears in Ports, enable Console on it.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm

Is this a requirement that could be well served by the raspberry pi?

TheFox21
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:17 pm

So only way is to use usb to serial converter and after it appears in Ports, enable Console on it.
Why a USB to Serial Converter? My PC has a USB port and the Routerboard has a USB Port. So is a Serial Converter really necessary? Why not using a USB to USB cable?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Why a USB to Serial Converter? My PC has a USB port and the Routerboard has a USB Port. So is a Serial Converter really necessary? Why not using a USB to USB cable?

Because in ROS serial console is ... well ... serial.

So you need a gadget which provides serial port over USB. You can plug another such gadget to your computer and use serial cable to connect the DB-9 ports of both gadgets.
Yeah, I know, sounds kind of stupid to use such cabling when simple USB2USB connection should do, but USB standard (up to, USB2.0 with USB OTG) doesn't allow direct connection between two USB hosts (and PCs and RBs are always USB hosts ... contrast that with USB devices, such as keyboards or mice).

TheFox21
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 pm

So you need a gadget which provides serial port over USB. You can plug another such gadget to your computer and use serial cable to connect the DB-9 ports of both gadgets.
OK, so just to make sure I understand you, I need a cable/adapter which provides USB to Serial Port which I connect to the Routerboard on the USB side. Further I need another USB to Serial Port cable which I connect on the USB side to my PC. And both Serial Ports I connect. So I have USB to Serial Port to Serial Port to USB, right?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:56 pm

That's how it can be done.

raystream
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:26 am

or you can use a Woobm USB Stick from mikrotik
you can connect wireless to that stick and use the serial console over web or telnet.

TheFox21
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 am

or you can use a Woobm USB Stick from mikrotik
This sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you very much for your time everyone.

gpmendive
just joined

Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:35 pm

Thanks, r00t!
It worked! I connected a CP2102 based USB/TTL bridge to the RB750g3r USB port and another similar bridge to my notebook. Just 3 wires to interconnect the bridges, GND, TX, and RX signals needed. TX and RX must be crossed connected. From a RealTerm console on the Notebook @9600 baud, I was able to authenticate and work normally.
Instead of guessing the baud rate, just in case, you can run "/port print" in the terminal via Winbox to confirm its current value, among other settings.

Afterward, to change the baud rate to 115200, after temporarily disabling the Console,

[admin@MikroTik] > /system console disabled=yes

I just run

[admin@MikroTik] > port set 0 baud-rate=115200

In case you forget to disable the Console first, you will a get failure message stating that the port is in use.
After a successful change, you must re-enable the Console, and you will be ready to reconnect to your console at the new baud rate.

I hope these additional details prove useful to other readers.
Thanks again to you all!
Last edited by gpmendive on Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:54 am

Or.. A USB-Serial adapter for both your PC and the RouterBoard and a null-modem cable between them...

My computers have real serial ports but I have used a USB-Serial adapter on my RB750Gr3 and RB760iGS.

ngrigoriev
just joined

Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:38 pm

I found that setting the serial console with RB750gr3 is a mess. I really want to control my router with the serial console because this is the only guaranteed way to get to it in some situations. Things can get messy. I do not run Windows etc. Good old serial console is the way to go.

The fact that the creators of this nice little device did not think enough about the console is a disappointment.

I had a pair of CP2102 modules and tried to connect to the router. I tested them before, they work just fine when using a computer with Linux, TX <-> RX and GND connected, I can send the traffic both ways. When I plug this module into the router it either crashes or fails to show the console. Once randomly I saw the console prompt but then the router has crashed again. Finally I have given up and replaced the router side of this messy solution with FTDI breakout module I had. That does seem to work better, a new USB port has appeared. And the router still crashes when I connect the USB cable but at least it seems to work after the crash. Automatic speed negotiation does not work either :(

On latest 7.3.1 OS.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 pm

Yeah, it sounds like the USB-Serial on v7 is messy from other threads.

Automatic speed negotiation isn't a feature though... 115200,8n1