Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

MtHoodlum
just joined
Topic Author

Redundant WAN links checking beyond the gateway

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Is there a way to setup redundant WAN links so they will check beyond the gateway? With Comcast, when configured with a static IP address, the gateway is the cable modem. Pinging the cable modem does not mean the internet connection is working. It would be much better to ping the next hop. Can this be done?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Redundant WAN links checking beyond the gateway

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Why Sindy would send you to a non approved MT site is beyond me. I suspect he has been drinking all afternoon. ;-)
What you seem to be asking is for recursive routing. Search the forum for those keywords and hopefully you will get some starting points.
(Search found 325 matches: recursive routing)
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:51 am

If all you need was clearly explained on "Mikrotik-approved sites", we wouldn't need this forum. The article I've linked explains what to do and why to do that far beyond the documentation, or at least it did when I was looking for that solution two years ago.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Couldnt agree with you more. I personally think you should write a book on MT & Everything you wanted to know about VPNs!
I would be the first in line to buy it! The other option is kidnapping and the vulcan mind meld.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)