Community discussions

networkfudge
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Best mode for mixed environment

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 am

I would like to ask what is the best mode for a network running AC access points but a mix of N and AC (arm) CPEs:
NV2, nstreme or 802.11 ?

Let me describe my environment and how it came about to help you understand the stage I'm at and my current dilemma.

I have a wisp environment where I started about 6 years ago. As access points I was using things like sxt5-sa, sxt5-hg, basebox-5 with sector antennas and for CPE devices SXT5HPND.

Over the past year or two I've upgraded the basestations with mips-be based AC stuff such as mantbox19s integrated units, and netmetal or RB922UAGS-5HPacD with sector antennas.

On the CPE end now, gradually as newer CPEs came about I started buying LHG and LHG-XL.

For the past few months, after Mikrotik made nv2 useable for ARM, I started using LHG-XL-AC, which I find now performs respectably.

All access points now are AC and for CPEs maybe around 20% LHG-XL-AC (arm) and the rest is LHG-XL and LHG-5 (mips-be)
:lol:
I'm guessing there are plenty of middle-aged Mikrotik WISP networks that look fairly similar to mine at this point

So based on the above and from your own experience: should I still be using NV2 as I have used for the past 6 years, or should I use something like 802.11? Has anyone with AC access points in mixed environments tried 802.11 with good success?

My dilemma/question came about after reading @normis replies on another thread where he said:

ARM works very well. The only issue I know of, is lack of full compatibility with legacy Nv2 protocol.

We added nv2 to improve 802.11n. It was not designed with ARM or 802.11ac in mind. These new systems have no benefits, as they are already superior.
MTCNA MTCWE MTCRE MTCINE MTCTCE UWBS UWBA

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best mode for mixed environment

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:00 pm

From 6.44 is nv2 fixed on ARM. You can make test - try all protocols and see speeds, ping, etc...
Wee use nv2 on AP
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator