Community discussions

cpakeith
just joined
Topic Author

Product Request: Mode switch "Doorbell" trigger

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:28 am

Hi,

I have a product request, what I’m looking for is basically a RB760iGS (or similar) shrunk down to just a single RJ45 input connection and the mode button. Perhaps in parallel with the mode button it would be nice to have a plug-in screw terminal block so an alternative switch could be used at the discretion of the customer. I’m finding as time goes on a lot of products from all manufacturers are removing their old serial/contact inputs, other things are moving towards virtualized or off-site cloud, or the replacement ways of triggering it are less than reliable. In most of these cases they’re one-offs here and there at different buildings and I don’t see the value in going with a full automation solution.

I have come across a fair amount of use cases which I’ve used telnet client, ping, or similar within the RouterOS device to contact another to do things such as:
-Triggering a restart of another device
-Triggering WoL of another device
-Triggering a panic shutdown
-Signaling the start of a sequence (kind of like a recording)
-Toggling a remote device’s Wi-Fi (without logging in, etc)
-Restarting a failed service (i.e. telnet into a windows box and restart the service) without logging in
-Literally a doorbell to trigger the
-Be useful for running small diagnostic scripts/logging
-Logging a physical action (i.e. server rack doors were opened)

I wouldn’t expect the logic or control to be done by the Mikrotik device, just that it has the same telnet/ping/etc. scripting capabilities that the RB760iGS (or the earlier HEX) does. In a way it would also look similar to a doorbell and be powered via 48V PoE. To all in the community, do you think this product would have enough interest for Mikrotik to build this?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Product Request: Mode switch "Doorbell" trigger

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 am

If you take any of the RBs with passive PoE out, you should be able to shunt the power out lines on that Ethernet port by a serial combination of a pushbutton and a resistor, so your script would monitor the power drain (yes/no).
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm

If you take any of the RBs with passive PoE out, you should be able to shunt the power out lines on that Ethernet port by a serial combination of a pushbutton and a resistor, so your script would monitor the power drain (yes/no).
This is an interesting idea. However to make it truly work "like a door bell button", periodic polling of the power drain status wouldn't suffice (unless the script ran in a busy loop), we'd need event triggering - something like "power drain on" and "power drain off" delivered from ROS ... and that with maximum delay of, say, 10 miliseconds.
BR,
Metod

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Given that the machine is likely to have nothing else to do, a script running continuously is less of a problem than how often the internal detection of the power drain from the port is done. So it is necessary to find that out and place a capacitor of a corresponding capacity in parallel to the pushbutton 🙂
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

cpakeith
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks.

Instead of the shunt-style for PoE I've been using non-PoE ports and just shunting back a loopback on itself and just monitoring for link up. Since there's no traffic on the port it doesn't seem to cause any ill-effects. Also can do some more interesting stuff depending on how you loopback or length with cable-testing to preserve ports but I'm not really using that. The polling-rate with the loopback cable can be an issue but it seems the logic is already reasonable within the mode button HEX, some CRS, and some others. At the moment I have a RB750Gr3 and CRS328-24P-4S+RM to test with. Some of the alternatives from other manufacturers are twice the price of a HEX and the HEX is a capable small router too, just seems kind of silly have a router sitting out somewhere to only act as a push-button to trigger a network event when a doorbell-like switch would be more beneficial.

Edit: Sorry, I should specify, I'm currently testing the "mode switch" no the HEX because it seems better than what I was doing previously, which was making a cable that was a cross-over switch on itself, with an in-line switch (if switch is closed, link state on the interface is up, switch open, no link) and have a script that would poll the interface. The mode button already has an event handler, although I'm not sure what Mikrotik's internally polling rate is for it:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:R ... ode_button