Community discussions

xian1sheng1
just joined
Topic Author

just installed router and switch, android phone can't access internet, frequent internal server errors

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:52 am

I just installed a Mikrotik router and switch and am having lots of issues.
I'm totally new to Router OS, so I appreciate any help.

Previous setup:
ISP modem -> ASUS RT-AC68U in Wireless router mode -> Android phones via WiFi

This worked reliably.

Current setup:
ISP modem -> RB750Gr3 -> Mikrotik CRS326-24G-2S+RM -> ASUS RT-AC68U in Access Point mode -> Android phones via WiFi

There are 3 problems:
1. Two android phones (both running Android 9) cannot connect to the internet. At least DNS resolution seems to be failing.

Other devices connected to the same WiFi SSID are working fine, though they're running Windows or MacOS.

I am entirely new to Router OS, but I attempted to configure alternate DNS servers by going to:
/webfig/#IP:DNS

I added two servers (Google's public DNS servers), but this didn't fix the problem. I tried restarting the phone, didn't fix it.

All other settings on both the router and the switch are factory defaults.

I can see the android phone's IP address in both the Asus' clients list and the router's list of DHCP leases.

2. I'm not sure if this is related, but I am accessing the router through my web browser, and every few minutes it logs me out and says "ERROR: Internal Server Error" and I have to log in again.

I don't see any error messages on the log page though.

3. Just while I was typing this, I got logged out due to the above error and was unable to log in. It rejected my username and password. After a few retries, it let me in.

Any suggestions for how to debug further?

xian1sheng1
just joined
Topic Author

Re: just installed router and switch, android phone can't access internet, frequent internal server errors

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:15 am

I ended up solving this a few months ago. I don't remember the details, but I think it had to do with both my mikrotik switch and router trying to claim the IP address 192.168.88.1. I think changing one of them to use another IP address solved the issue.