Community discussions

jinnko
just joined
Topic Author

mAP tx-power-mode and reducing tx-power

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:48 pm

I have an mAP with the latest long-term 6.44.5 running. I want to reduce the output power on the wifi but I get an error message:
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface wireless set 0 tx-power-mode=card-rates 
failure: tx-power-mode not supported
Setting the tx-power attribute directly doesn't result in an error, but the signal strength also doesn't change.

Is this expected behaviour for this device?

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: mAP tx-power-mode and reducing tx-power  [SOLVED]

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Manually setting TX power has been a mess for a while. The most reliable way I've found is to use the antenna gain setting to make the device think you have a stronger antenna so it reduces TX power proportionally for regulatory domain compliance.

jinnko
just joined
Topic Author

Re: mAP tx-power-mode and reducing tx-power

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Manually setting TX power has been a mess for a while. The most reliable way I've found is to use the antenna gain setting to make the device think you have a stronger antenna so it reduces TX power proportionally for regulatory domain compliance.
This is great - did what I needed, thanks.

I'm using Ubiquiti's WiFiman to monitor the signal strength and one thing I noticed is the calculated distance increases as the antenna gain setting is increased. You wouldn't happen to know whether this would have an impact on the devices that connect, in the sense that they may use more power to attempt to compensate for what they think is an antenna at a greater distance?