Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

blackmetal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

fasttrack or RAW is better for blocking ddos attacks?

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:57 am

Hello,
I have a mikrotik ccr 1036 and most of my ddos attacks are on TCP/UDP and currently my connection tracking is disabled and i block destination hosts on RAW filtering for reduce cpu loads. so i want to know this way save better CPU usages for me or enable connection tracking and use fast track ? which one has better performance while you are under attack ?
Note: there is no important for us the attack forward to user .
Thanks

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: fasttrack or RAW is better for blocking ddos attacks?

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Hello,
I have a mikrotik ccr 1036 and most of my ddos attacks are on TCP/UDP and currently my connection tracking is disabled and i block destination hosts on RAW filtering for reduce cpu loads. so i want to know this way save better CPU usages for me or enable connection tracking and use fast track ? which one has better performance while you are under attack ?
Note: there is no important for us the attack forward to user .
Thanks
This has been discussed the last days and in the past.

If connection tracking is disabled, it makes no difference if it is blocked in RAW or in Filter.

When you can live with disabled connection tracking to fend of the ddos then that is better.
Two RB760iGS (hEX S) in series. One does PPPoE and both do IKEv2.
Running:
RouterOS 6.46Beta68 / Winbox 3.20 / MikroTik APP 1.3.7
Having an Android device, use https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases (no root required)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: fasttrack or RAW is better for blocking ddos attacks?

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm

On the other hand, if you need connection tracking enabled, then RAW is the place to drop DDOS packets.
BR,
Metod