Community discussions

MikroTik App

bcbigb
just joined
Topic Author

CRS3xx-series -IN/desktop model?

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:45 am

I haven't been able to find anything about this, so perhaps I'm the first to ask, but I greatly prefer the CRS3xx over the CRS1xx series as they act more like traditional switches for VLANs where it's handled in a more integrated fashion and not through an odd combination of the switch/bridge menu. I realize some of those issues were resolved in ROS software updates, but it appears there are just limitations of the 1xx switch chip with respect to VLANs in hardware that prevent it from fully competing with the basic feature set of most 1U switches from the last decade or so. Not complaining as I realize there's a cost to keeping prices down, but the 3xx seemed to solve my last major issues so since that's done I'm now making this miniaturization request/query. Anyways, not looking to debate this a ton, just saying 3xx series is better for me.

I need the smaller form factor of the -IN model for the in-wall equipment cabinets found in most homes (at least in my experience in mid/high-end homes in the US)... like the Leviton one linked below (pic attached for posterity), in which it is very difficult to fit even the smallest 24-port rackmount switch (MT/Cisco/etc, doesn't matter) with any space left over for other equipment, which I usually need, like POETexas injectors, power bricks for other gear, power strips, etc. The CRS125...-IN is what I use now and it's a good size... has room around it for cooling and some slim other stuff if need be (power bricks/etc) and fits right in the center of the top usually, facing down for easy access plus the screen is accessible (not as worried about having a screen, but it's a nice touch for this mounting arrangement.

Current link to article with sample pics (same as attached): https://digitized.house/future-proofing ... omponents/

Which is all a long way of saying, are there plans for a CRS3xx (or its successor) coming to a -IN form factor within an inch or two of the CRS125...-IN model, roughly speaking (slightly wider is better than slightly deeper for my application, if changes had to be made to accommodate the 3xx board)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bcbigb on Sat May 28, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS3xx-series -IN/desktop model?

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:46 am

They make a 5 port switch that runs the SwOS your looking for: https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in that has SFP. You can also search the catalog and set for "SwOS" or "dual boot" as OS filter in search.

There are lot more options if your willing to use ROS...perhaps even a way reduce the amount of gear need. If you add clear the config (/system reset-configure no-defaults=yes) of ROS, add a DHCP client, and then use the "Switch" menu to configure ROS, instead of the bridge, it acts a lot like SwOS.

bcbigb
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2022 8:12 pm

They make a 5 port switch that runs the SwOS your looking for: https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in that has SFP. You can also search the catalog and set for "SwOS" or "dual boot" as OS filter in search.

There are lot more options if your willing to use ROS...perhaps even a way reduce the amount of gear need. If you add clear the config (/system reset-configure no-defaults=yes) of ROS, add a DHCP client, and then use the "Switch" menu to configure ROS, instead of the bridge, it acts a lot like SwOS.
Thank you, but I accidentally wrote CSS instead of CRS only once in my original post, but meant CRS (implying RouterOS) as mentioned elsewhere in the post, so I'll clean that up now. I agree with you and have no use for SwOS with the usefulness of RouterOS at my disposal.

In case anyone stumbles across this old post and are trying to fit gear into one of these annoying wall cabinets: Mikrotik eventually released the CRS326-24G-2S+IN, which is the highest density you can get without the wasted space of a full-width switch or the lost ports of chaining multiple 5-port or 8-ish-port switches (like the CRS112), so I just replaced the CRS125 line with this.

For a PoE-centric setup I had to go with several HeX PoE (RB960PGS) routers (set up as switches in RouterOS) cross-connected on their PoE-In ports through a HeX (RB750Gr3), though they were all individually powered as trying to daisy-chain PoE should be limited to one hop out and no more than two devices in my experience, even though you may have the power budget for it "by the numbers".

glow

Sat May 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Yeah, no real POE options in that density, even though they do make the boards for it (netpower16 is a CRS3xx with 16 RJ45 POE PD).

Strange part about the non-rack variant of the CRS326, it seems to be lacking any ability to put rackmount ears onto it. I'm not looking to mount it in a rack, but it also seems to be lacking wallmount holes. I guess I can just use my own mounting methods. Meanwhile, the CRS309 (similar size) has wallmount holes, rackmount holes + ears, and supplies rubber/soft feet for desktop use.