Community discussions

MikroTik App

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

winbox Dark Mode

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:45 pm

tomorrow apple IOS 13 will support dark mode, windows 10 has light and dark theme, chrome also has, ubnt unifi has.
isn't time also for winbox? god so much brightness when you open winbox and you have open tabs saved inside.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: winbox Dark Mode

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:24 pm

I remember the days when users could choose colors from 24-bit RGB and whole system was supposed to respect that. Light windows, dark windows, pink windows, anything was possible. Today's big hit is two options to choose from, and it's supposed to be progress. :roll:

I just want to say that if/when MikroTik decides to do anything about it, please, pretty please, do it in a way that won't screw it up for people who like current behaviour, i.e. that WinBox uses system colors (to some extent, it's far enough from perfect, but not too bad).

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:31 pm

of course i propose to be a choise from the user. light or dark selectable by the user.
Last edited by freemannnn on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:33 pm

For the record:
pinkbox.png
And no, that's not what I normally use. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:36 pm

so much WHITE color of every window (firewall, dhcp etc) . black or dark blue foreground with white or grey text should help at nights. also address book at start so bright.
take a look at UNIFI CONTROLLER dark mode. google it.
chrome also has SLATE skin. so nice color.
Last edited by freemannnn on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:37 pm

coloring on winbox will be nice, and useful to ease distinguish windows when working with several routers at once

of course dark mode will be useful too in some situations

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Anything, as long as the option to use system colors remains. If it's not clear to anyone, the pink hell above is not PhotoShop, it actually works now. It works reasonably well with light colors, dark ones don't look good, because contrast with some derived colors is too big. But it wouldn't be too hard to tweak it, especially if the dark more option would use hardcoded colors.

So three options: hardcoded light, hardcoded dark, system colors (what current WinBox uses). And everyone should be happy.

Different colors for different routers (perhaps just window titles, so it wouldn't look like a circus) is also interesting idea, it wouldn't be just about design, but actually useful (critical routers with red, ...).

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Fair points. But, a 64-bit version is a bigger concern.

My bet is winbox will just do the "right thing" with a dark mode theme Microsoft does... Personally, I'm with @Sob on this one: just do what other "normal" windows app do with the colors. If you want a slick UI, the mobile app is what to use, sure that will continue getting better over time. As noted, we're still waiting for the transition to 64-bits in the winbox world.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 pm

i am curious how winbox would look with the colors of dark mode of unifi. wish i knew photoshop lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:45 pm

It's just too different, it's not only colors, but also spacing and the whole structure. You can do different things when it is (or at least looks like) simple webpage, and when it's complex application with child windows.

Before MikroTik does something, you can avoid getting blinded by too much white by tweaking colors in registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors). You can't go for too dark, that wouldn't look good with current WinBox. But you can definitely tune down the brightness a little.

webequipped
just joined

Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:30 pm

I up vote this request!