Community discussions

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Audience vs Eero?

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:09 pm

That seems to be the product its built to compete with.

Anyone done the comparisons yet?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain

Zacharias

Re: Audience vs Eero?

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 pm

What is Eero? :shock:

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:00 pm

mesh WiFi
https://eero.com/

I have 2 in bridge mode. Excellent wireless coverage. I did order Audience to give it a try.

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:45 pm

mesh WiFi

I have 2 in bridge mode. Excellent wireless coverage. I did order Audience to give it a try.
Eero is what the guy who has NO BUSINESS AT ALL TOUCHING A NETWORK, is bringing into a commercial install.
Sparky, "I use this all the time."
Me, "YEAH IN HOUSES. You can't do multiple SSIDS or VLANS beyond 1 for Guest. We have a VLAN for the control system... 1 for the Point Of Sales... 1 for Voice of IP... 1 for the back of house managers... 1 for the wait staff... Then one for Guests that has to work on a schedule..."
Sparky, "Well it works in homes..."
Me, "This ain't your home."

I got to work with the Eero system in a home for the first time last week. Yeah... a MORON could put them in.
Coverage gave you bars all over the house. But pings and actual throughput... not so impressive. Also I was curious what would happen if they put some IP video cameras on the system. Between the fact that I saw a bunch of units and not a lot of channel separation... wonder how much worse it would get if I flooded the backhaul with traffic...

But I digress.

I have used and LOVED Mikrotik for routing for a long time. But... every time I buy the latest wireless devices from Mikrotik... I sure get that Unpaid Beat Tester Feeling.

wAP AC, hAP AC2, cAp AC... all seemed to go through real growing pains.

So the question begs... since Audience is fresh out of the gate... how were they doing?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain

Zacharias

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Haven't tested Audience yet...
Am just curious to check how they are configured because i ve tested wireless dynamic Mesh in the past but i wasnt very happy with the performance...

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:23 pm

mesh WiFi

Eero is what the guy who has NO BUSINESS AT ALL TOUCHING A NETWORK, is bringing into a commercial install.
Rather confused why you quoted me and posted this rant. If you are indeed referring to me personally, I do no commercial installations, just my own little home net. :shock:

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:02 pm

mesh WiFi

Rather confused why you quoted me and posted this rant. If you are indeed referring to me personally, I do no commercial installations, just my own little home net. :shock:
Proximus...
No Offense to you intended at all.
My rant was an actual back and forth at a job I was working on last month.

If how my phone bunched the responses made it look like a shot at you... I am sorry.

However... I am seeing a considerable amount of LV type contractors flipping to Eero.
Sparky of course...
But the Heating and Air Conditioning guys.
Audio Video Guys.
Security Contractors.
Solar Panel installers.
etc

Basically... a lot of the trades I interact with are starting to "just use Mesh so we don't have to run wires anymore..."
Mark Twain

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Thank you for clarifying this. All good.

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Distros in the US are sending out "we have Audience in stock".

But still not seeing anyone saying... "Yes I have used it... And..."
Mark Twain

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Everybody is waiting for you to share the experience :wink:
BR,
Metod

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Everybody is waiting for you to share the experience :wink:
#

While I used to LOVE TESTING STUFF OUT AND BEING FIRST...
Not getting paid, and ending up holding the bag on thousands of dollars worth of crap over the decades... might have sullied my enthusiasm. A little...

###
...I have used and LOVED Mikrotik for routing for a long time. But... every time I buy the latest wireless devices from Mikrotik... I sure get that Unpaid Beat Tester Feeling.

Mark Twain

mozerd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Information and capabilities for the Audience Mesh is very sparse .... specs looks interesting but not interesting enough for me to make a trial investment without much further usability information. MikroTik should show off some real world application to demonstrate Audience Mesh properly.

WeWiNet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:51 pm

I have 2 days of (limited) Audience testing experience now:
  • Audience looks nice, actually smaller than on the pictures, a device you can actually keep outside, close to TV or sideboard
  • it has 3 color LED that shine nicely through little slot on lower front side (including Mtik preferred blue led! but no more that bright :D )
    No idea yet what they mean in terms of device status, but looks good!
In terms of HW it has 3 Wifi master interfaces:
  • 2x2 2.4GHz Wifi (IPQ4019)
  • 2x2 5Ghz Wifi (IPQ4019) (can only use channel 36 to 52(?))
  • 4x4 5GHz Wifi (QCA9984) (can only be used on channel 100 and above (I have European model))
There seems to be no additional SW/functions for MESH such as steering, improved access lists etc.
But maybe within Capsman there could be some additional functions (I don’t use Capsman …)[/list]

I did some quick setup and test as a dual band AP (2x2 2.4G + 4x4 5Ghz) to compare to RB4011.
To use all three bands as AP I need a bit more thinking how to organise my network…
  • 2.4GHz Wifi coveres slightly less distance than that of RB4011 (but RB4011 does have a great range)
    I have some far away IOT devices which have sometimes some disconnects, but they are really far off...
  • 5GHz 4x4 Audience has huge improvement over 4x4 5Ghz of RB4011. I get 5G conection for many clients now where before
    they stayed on 2.4Ghz.
    Now I can not tell if this is due to the Wifi channel difference as Audience only uses channel 100 and above!
    For the experts to tell (and more testing to be done).
  • I see no issue with DFS/radar on 4x4 so far (those 100+ channels are DFS channels).

Based on this, to cover huge homes or areas using two or more Audience seems to be a good way to provide
Wifi coverage.

A bit more tricky is going to be the setup / config, specially if you will use 3 AP Wifi interfaces (and not as MESH).
Which 5Ghz network will a client select if you have 2 with same SSID at two different channels? Or create 2 or 3 different SSID?
Creating the right access rules with signal level will be more complex, maybe not practical at all.

And seeing 3 master Wifi i/f with all (for me 18!) the virtual Wifi i/f means you quickly get lost in what is what…
But hey this is why you have such a device… :lol:
Will definitely keep it as my main Wifi router... !
WeWiNet

MTCNA
hapac2, map, hap-lite, ltap-mini, RB4011 :-) !!!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:28 pm

A bit more tricky is going to be the setup / config, specially if you will use 3 AP Wifi interfaces (and not as MESH).
Which 5Ghz network will a client select if you have 2 with same SSID at two different channels? Or create 2 or 3 different SSID?
Running two 5GHz channels with same SSID in the same spot is definitely and utterly a non-sense.
If one is currently running a few VAPs off same physical radio, then dual 5GHz radio offers ideal opportunity to split them. Use the 4x4 radio for the high speed/volume SSIDs (such as IoT and guest access) and keep the low speed SSIDs on 2x2 radio.
BR,
Metod

PPJ

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:19 pm

I have been using Mikrotik since V3. I do know a lot, but there is more I do NOT know.

I got 3 Audience devices to do a job, since the write up about them fit my application.

I have spent days to get them to mesh (still no success) The insert that came in the box describe amongst others the led's and the "WPS Sync" button functions for automatic "linking" The guide available on the net ( https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/1568200626 ... -%20qg.pdf ) differ from the printed one and also yield no success if followed.

I will have to use Winbox or CLI to "manually" mesh????

If a non networking savvy member of the public would buy this device, I can not imagine they would get it working. It is certainly a a aesthetically pleasing device.

Can any one maybe point me at a "guide" that actually work, that I can follow? Or just some pointers or tips please.
Never say, or even think, that you are going to do it quickly on the computer........

gotsprings
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Running two 5GHz channels with same SSID in the same spot is definitely and utterly a non-sense.
If one is currently running a few VAPs off same physical radio, then dual 5GHz radio offers ideal opportunity to split them. Use the 4x4 radio for the high speed/volume SSIDs (such as IoT and guest access) and keep the low speed SSIDs on 2x2 radio.
How to generate interference and mess up one's airtime...
Mark Twain

WeWiNet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Can any one maybe point me at a "guide" that actually work, that I can follow? Or just some pointers or tips please.
PPJ, I am sorry but I only have one device so can not really help you.

I would open a new forum post to ask help on set up as MESH solution
WeWiNet

MTCNA

WeWiNet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:38 pm

How to generate interference and mess up one's airtime...
Actually all 3 Wifi radios are working in 3 seperate frequency bands, so no interference at all.
And I think that proposal by MKX (put high speed on 5Ghz high band)
is exactly what I will try out to get even more speed/capacity of the system.
WeWiNet

MTCNA

nickshore

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:39 pm

I tested the meshing a couple of days ago.

1) power up the 1st Audience which you will use as the main AP

2) press the wps-sync button briefly, the light on the front starts flashing green

3) power up the next Audience device whilst holding the wps-sync button, keep holding until the light on the front flashes lots green and orange

you should then find that it has connected back to the main AP, and capsman is managing the interfaces.

Note if you wish to add another one, you have to pair it with the first main AP, you can't add it to the 2nd one. Well it didn't work for me...

Hope that helps
Nick

Nick Shore MTCNA MTCWE MTCRE MTCINE MTCTCE
LinITX.com - MultiThread Consultants
Get your MikroTik RBs and Training: http://linitx.com/brand/mikrotik
Official UK MikroTik Distributor
IRC chan: #routerboard on irc.z.je (IPv4 and IPv6)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Actually you can pair an audience to any of the already paired audiences
No answer to your question? How to write posts

PPJ

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate it.

I will certainly try again, and report back.

It is 3.10pm South African time now and I have been at it since early (no success so far), so my brain is jelly at the moment.
Never say, or even think, that you are going to do it quickly on the computer........

mozerd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:47 pm

It is 3.10pm South African time now and I have been at it since early (no success so far), so my brain is jelly at the moment.
It should not be as hard as you seem to be experiencing.
Can you describe how the chain of gear you are using is connected? I.e. your Router >your Switch> your Audience Mesh
How far apart are the Audience Mesh AP’s from each other when your try and connect via mesh method?
Which wireless band is strictly dedicated to the backhaul for the Mesh?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:03 pm

I tested the meshing a couple of days ago.

1) power up the 1st Audience which you will use as the main AP

2) press the wps-sync button briefly, the light on the front starts flashing green

3) power up the next Audience device whilst holding the wps-sync button, keep holding until the light on the front flashes lots green and orange

you should then find that it has connected back to the main AP, and capsman is managing the interfaces.

Note if you wish to add another one, you have to pair it with the first main AP, you can't add it to the 2nd one. Well it didn't work for me...

Hope that helps
Nick

thx for sharing your experience

have you tried to measure performance? coverage?

PPJ

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 am

It should not be as hard as you seem to be experiencing.
Can you describe how the chain of gear you are using is connected? I.e. your Router >your Switch> your Audience Mesh
How far apart are the Audience Mesh AP’s from each other when your try and connect via mesh method?
Which wireless band is strictly dedicated to the backhaul for the Mesh?
I agree it should not be what I am experiencing. I am pressed for time. I usually set up all the stuff before I get to the client. I expected things to go quickly and smooth, but I am obviously doing something wrong. I will come back with some more detail with regard to this topic. Thank you kindly.

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:54 pm

mesh WiFi

Sparky, "I use this all the time."
Me, "YEAH IN HOUSES. You can't do multiple SSIDS or VLANS beyond 1 for Guest. We have a VLAN for the control system... 1 for the Point Of Sales... 1 for Voice of IP... 1 for the back of house managers... 1 for the wait staff... Then one for Guests that has to work on a schedule..."
Sparky, "Well it works in homes..."
Me, "This ain't your home."

I got to work with the Eero system in a home for the first time last week. Yeah... a MORON could put them in.
Coverage gave you bars all over the house. But pings and actual throughput... not so impressive. Also I was curious what would happen if they put some IP video cameras on the system. Between the fact that I saw a bunch of units and not a lot of channel separation... wonder how much worse it would get if I flooded the backhaul with traffic...

But I digress.

I have used and LOVED Mikrotik for routing for a long time. But... every time I buy the latest wireless devices from Mikrotik... I sure get that Unpaid Beat Tester Feeling.

So the question begs... since Audience is fresh out of the gate... how were they doing?
Sparkies running TV coaxial cable and they make some mess of that too, not leaving enough at some points and using wrong wall plates.