Community discussions

sadeq
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE client on multiple interfaces resulting in slower speeds

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Hello
my RB4011 is connected to a 4 port Huawei gigabit GPON ONT, I'm using PPPoE to connect to the internet.
I've set ether9 as a wan port and the PPPoE client is using ether9 to reach the PPPoE server.
everything is working fine like that and I'm reaching near gigabit speeds on speedtest.net from my pc which is connected on ether2 port (a slave port on bridge).
I was thinking what would happen if I add another interface to the PPPoE client so I connected another port from my ont to ether8 and added it to the interfaces of the PPPoE client.
so now my PPPoE client is connected through two interfaces and it's connected to the PPPoE server without a problem.
when I do a speed test I get slower and inconsistent results, sometimes it's only 99mbps and sometimes its around 190mbps but I can't reach anything higher than 199Mbps.
I opened up winbox and monitored ether8 and ether9 while doing the speedtest and I noticed that mostly one interface is doing the heavy load and it can't do more than 99mbps but I once saw both of them working at 99mbps.
I'm really curious about what is happening, so can someone explain the reason behind the slower speeds to me ?
Last edited by sadeq on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zacharias

Re: PPoE client on multiple interfaces resulting in slower speeds

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:45 pm

In the interface you specify the interface the pppoe client will run
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... PoE_Client
I dont know why it lets you select two interfaces... what did you expect by selecting both interfaces? Also in your pppoe client you specify username and password only once... how will it authenticate to both servers with the same username and password???
Just select one intetface.. then create a second pppoe client and choose the other interface..
Use mangles to load balance both your connections...

sadeq
just joined
Topic Author

Re: PPoE client on multiple interfaces resulting in slower speeds

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:07 pm

it's a single PPoE client not two, but connected to the PPoE server through two interfaces which are ether 8 and ether9 as seen in the photo,
I don't know how is this possible, thus I'm asking this question

Zacharias

Re: PPPoE client on multiple interfaces resulting in slower speeds

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:18 pm

There is no reference in the manual that says you can add 2 interfaces in the PPPoE client...
There is no meaning in what you do... you have one server and one client that should get connected through 1 interface in order for the client to discover the server in layer2.. as simple as that..!