Community discussions

MikroTik App

rasputin83
just joined
Topic Author

Hap AC2 - crap wifi 5GHz

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi
I just bought Mikrotik HAP AC2 router. Everything is working well except wifi. I live in a house. The router is located downstairs and I've got pretty good wifi(2.4 and 5) signal there. The problems start upstairs. In the room located just above the router wifi working well but in next room upstairs it dropping down dramatically. To be honest I am not able to use 5GHz wifi due to poor signal and disconnecting any devices connected to it. 2.4GHz works quite well but still far away to be brilliant. When i connected my old router which i get from ISP - all of the problems despaired. Works great on configuration "out the box". Got a perfect 5ghz singal everywhere inside and even outside the house. Why does Mikrotik has got such crap wifi? I attached a screenshot of my WLAN config maybe someone will be able to sort this problem out. Image

GuJack20
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Hap AC2 - crap wifi 5GHz

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:44 pm

The antennas are a physics thing, not a manufacturer thing. I would try a router that has bigger antennas, like for example the RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN. That would improve very much the signal strength.

rasputin83
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:50 pm

The antennas are a physics thing, not a manufacturer thing. I would try a router that has bigger antennas, like for example the RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN. That would improve very much the signal strength.
so Mikrotik solution is to buy 5 times more expensive router? nice one.... if i knew it that hap ac2 is so pice of shit I wouldn't buy that crap - that my personal opinion. That's not a home router thats room router.

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:31 pm

so Mikrotik solution is to buy 5 times more expensive router? nice one.... if i knew it that hap ac2 is so pice of shit I wouldn't buy that crap - that my personal opinion. That's not a home router thats room router.
Calm down, MikroTik’s Wi-Fi isn’t their edge but still usable, 1st if all may I know what’s the current tx power running on 5GHz AP? U can find it on wireless-interface-status page. And how do u place the router? Since it’s internal antennas design so position is matter, not much impact but still useful if u wanna maximize Wi-Fi coverage.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:36 pm

hAP ac2 is an excellent tiny router with built in antennas. If you have a large house, there are other devices that you could have chosen instead. Any other brand "gaming router" with external antennas will cost more than the suggested RB4011, which for the port count and power is reasonably priced.

rasputin83
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Calm down, MikroTik’s Wi-Fi isn’t their edge but still usable, 1st if all may I know what’s the current tx power running on 5GHz AP? U can find it on wireless-interface-status page. And how do u place the router? Since it’s internal antennas design so position is matter, not much impact but still useful if u wanna maximize Wi-Fi coverage.
Ive got standard 3bed house so is not a big. The router is located in the living room almost in the middle of the wall.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:49 pm

One thing that might explain the difference between hAP ac2 and the old wireless router is adherence to country regulations ... all wifi vendors are forced to do it since a year or two ago ... previously this was not really enforced. In "worst case" the difference might be as high as 10dB ... or a brick&mortar wall. So absolutely do verify actual Tx power (it should be under Current Tx power" tab) to see if this is the issue.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Also antenna gain on previous versions of firmware was set to zero and one had to manually insert values like +2.
I believe now the actual antenna gain is accurately reflected for the model being used in the latest software versions.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Not that accurately. My home mAP lite has 1.5 dBi antenna, according to specifications. But the lowest gain I can set is 2. They stole half dBi from me! ;)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Not that accurately. My home mAP lite has 1.5 dBi antenna, according to specifications. But the lowest gain I can set is 2. They stole half dBi from me! ;)
So when your rotund noggin comes in between the router and the wifi device, the signal drops off dramatically??

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:14 pm

One thing that might explain the difference between hAP ac2 and the old wireless router is adherence to country regulations ... all wifi vendors are forced to do it since a year or two ago ... previously this was not really enforced. In "worst case" the difference might be as high as 10dB ... or a brick&mortar wall. So absolutely do verify actual Tx power (it should be under Current Tx power" tab) to see if this is the issue.
This is where the plot thickens, the Hap AC2's dont show power
Hapac2power.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:27 am

Maybe the interface is disabled?

Also HAP AC is indeed a very goord product...i ve used it a lot in many wireless projects with very good results...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:23 am

Also HAP AC is indeed a very goord product...
hAP ac is quite unrelated product ... better wireless (tripple chain on both bands), SFP port and worse routing (single core MIPSBE CPU).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:27 am

Indeed :-( In console it shows all zeroes for current Tx power ... One of beauties of wireless on ARM ...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:33 am

Indeed :-( In console it shows all zeroes for current Tx power ... One of beauties of wireless on ARM ...
mkx check out TX power rates with manual setting. It I believe shows what the default settings are!

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:16 am

It's not just ARM, that is true for all 5Ghz radios in 802.11ac devices.

whatever

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Your wifi signal might improve if you use the device in vertical orientation, it's always worth a try.

NEOhidra
just joined

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Your approach to WiFi is wrong.
Mikrotik wifi is not good compared to competition's.
Hap AC2 has builtin antenna will not peovide good coverage upstaris - it does not matter which manufacturer is making it.

Next you are using 5GHz - it penetrates less (compared to 2,4GHz).

If you want good WiFi coverage the solution is not to get one big access point, but to use multiple smaller units.

heidarren
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:09 pm

I'd spent countless of hour to tune my hAP AC2 + cAP AC, here's my experience with hAP AC2:
This is the internal pic of hAP AC2, pay attention of the antennas position, adjust the placement of the router accordingly. If you wanna cover the 1st floor, try to place it as high as possible, and take the walls on 1st floor into account, minimize the amount of wall by adjusting placement of the router on ground floor (Normally ground flood has lesser wall, I will put it in the position right under the wall of 1st floor to cover both side, I hope you can understand what I say)

Also, it runs best with channel 36~48, any higher channels will shorten the coverage of it.
Use CAPsMAN to create a same SSID of 2.4G and 5G, let your device to choose them automatically, newer devices are smart enough to make the choice, even though may not immediately, my experience is iPhones will switch to 2.4G without any noticeable lag, and take about a minute or less to jump back to 5G if the signal is strong enough, without any noticeable lag too.

You don't need 5G to cover all rooms, really. Just focus on those space you will spend you time most, be piratical.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:25 pm

This model is designed to be an Access Point or a router etc for a small office or a house...

I do not understand why will someone try to cover a whole house with 1, 2 , 3 floors ( i do not know how many) with just a small AP...
It won't work as expected... as simple as that.... Because it is not designed for something like that...

@heidarren, RF signals behave in many ways.. they can be reflected (signal bounce in another direction), reffracted ( signal passes through an object), diffracted (signal "hugs" an object), or scattered ( signal reflected to multiple dirrection) according to the surface or material they find on their way (in simple words)... Its not that simple :
minimize the amount of wall by adjusting placement of the router on ground floor
What i would do is get as many haps as needed and create wireless links using the 5GHz band and that way expand the network inside my house... The position of each hap should be carefully selected. This will give you better coverage, speed, bandwidth and in general better wireless quality...

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 am

Your wifi signal might improve if you use the device in vertical orientation, it's always worth a try.
That plastic foot actually "clicks" in the bottom of the hAP ac2. The current position of this acryllic plate is for wall mounting.
The hAP ac2 has a good all-round spectrum distribution, and low antenna gain and behaves BETTER than a device with large antennas that have an antenna gain of lets say 8.
The reason is that to comply with the regulations, the maximum signal strength in the concentrated direction is defining the limit. An AP with high antenna gain will send out much less energy than an AP with low antenna gain in the other directions. In house this makes the hAP, cAp and wAP a better device for signal distribution than an Omnitik or SXTsq, which are meant for free field outdoor usage, because the path of the signal is unknown. Remember that passing a wall under an angle or in a corner makes it a thicker wall.

Very pleased with the performance of the Mikrotik devices, if you know what you are doing (the client device is the limiting factor in wifi communication in almost all cases, a 5-bar wifi signal means nothing in this). The TX power used is a bid hidden, it is the STATUS of the WLAN interface (like:Channel: 5540/20-Ce/ac/DP(24dBm) ) If you want higher signal strength than 17 dBm then you must look at the country info in CLI, and use other frequencies, like this one 5540MHz. This is limited to 40 MHz bandwidth (20-Ce) on purpose to improve the wifi experience.
I have no problem communicating through 2 walls an one concrete ceiling with hAP,cAP and wAP. One cannot expect more from the legal and safe/healthy signal strength..

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Glad to see that more people recommend multiple accesspoints, having a single accesspoint in a house really makes no sense!
Besides, MikroTik wireless is incredibly stable. But...you have to do a lot of tweaking and need some knowledge about WiFi. @TS: expectations are incorrect (in my opinion) and you can do a lot of optimizations to your configuration.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:08 pm

There is a LOT of misunderstanding in the wifi world. On-line shops still claim they have the more powerfull, very strong signal, APs. Far above the legal and usefull limits (26dBm( radio)+8dBm (antenna gain)+3dBm (2 antennas)). It does only give you a 5-bar signal reading on your smartphone, but not usable wifi.

Starting with "auto" as frequency is a totally unpredictable setup. It could be acceptable, but the outcome can be devastating. No one can tell how this will perform, it depends ... on the environment. And then setting installation "indoor", is like challenging that auto-algoritme while giving it a severe handicap to start with.

And we are not in the "coverage" era anymore, "capacity" is what one really wants.

stuartkoh

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:43 pm

That plastic foot actually "clicks" in the bottom of the hAP ac2. The current position of this acryllic plate is for wall mounting.

From: https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/hAP_ac_2_t ... 162454.pdf

"New design universal case allows unit to be positioned either horizontally (desktop) or vertically (tower case). Wall anchored mounting kit is provided."

In addition, I've used my hAP ac2 in both positions and didn't notice any difference in wireless coverage in my house.

stuartkoh

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:05 pm

There is a LOT of misunderstanding in the wifi world. On-line shops still claim they have the more powerfull, very strong signal, APs. Far above the legal and usefull limits (26dBm( radio)+8dBm (antenna gain)+3dBm (2 antennas)). It does only give you a 5-bar signal reading on your smartphone, but not usable wifi.

Starting with "auto" as frequency is a totally unpredictable setup. It could be acceptable, but the outcome can be devastating. No one can tell how this will perform, it depends ... on the environment. And then setting installation "indoor", is like challenging that auto-algoritme while giving it a severe handicap to start with.

And we are not in the "coverage" era anymore, "capacity" is what one really wants.

I've seen a lot of people bragging about their new "gaming" router with dozens of antennas sticking out in every direction and so many blinking lights that you can see the thing from orbit. "Moar power!!!!" They don't stop to think that their smartphone doesn't have unlimited transmitting power, so being able to receive from the AP when you're down the street doesn't matter because the return signal from your phone will never reach the AP.

I don't know how Mikrotik does their auto frequency settings. If it actually looks for the channel with the least amount of traffic, as well as evaluating which channels have stronger existing signals, it might do a good job. However, if it doesn't change the channel once it's set (at least until a reboot or power cycle), it could well choose a channel that's a problem. For instance, I have noticed that I never see one of my neighbor's SSIDs showing up during the day on weekdays. Maybe they turn their equipment off when they're not at home. (It's also always on the same 2.4GHz channel and I don't see anything that looks like it's the same device on 5.8.) There are also a couple of HP printers that only show up in the evening or one weekends, probably again because that's when they're actually powered on.

If my router is booted up mid-day on Wednesday, it might pick a channel that's free then, but is very crowded in the evening.

I also see that some neighbors are using 2.4GHz channels other than 1, 6, or 11. Most of what I see is 1, 3, and 6. I've got my router manually set to 11 and it does ok. I've got most of my devices set to use ch 36 on 5GHz though, because so far it's been pretty clear, whether because of more limited range that 2.4 or because fewer people have new APs that can use 5 GHz channels.

Does the "indoor" vs. "any" or "outdoor" setting really make that much difference? I've got it set to indoor, but I've also set my channels manually.

stuartkoh

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Glad to see that more people recommend multiple accesspoints, having a single accesspoint in a house really makes no sense!
Besides, MikroTik wireless is incredibly stable. But...you have to do a lot of tweaking and need some knowledge about WiFi. @TS: expectations are incorrect (in my opinion) and you can do a lot of optimizations to your configuration.

I only have a single access point in my house. It's a 2000 sq ft single level house and I actually get good, reliable wifi coverage in the house. I've thought about going to multiple APs and reducing the transmit power on each, but so far I haven't seen a need to do that. We're thinking about building a deck in the back though, so maybe if we do that and it turns out we don't get good wifi coverage there I'll move to multiple APs.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:01 pm

"I also see that some neighbors are using 2.4GHz channels other than 1, 6, or 11. Most of what I see is 1, 3, and 6. I've got my router manually set to 11 and it does ok. I've got most of my devices set to use ch 36 on 5GHz though, because so far it's been pretty clear, whether because of more limited range that 2.4 or because fewer people have new APs that can use 5 GHz channels.

Does the "indoor" vs. "any" or "outdoor" setting really make that much difference? I've got it set to indoor, but I've also set my channels manually."

Also my experience. Many devices (4G boxes etc) delivered by ISP's in Europe tend to set the frequency at 3,5,7 and 9. There is probably the lowest energy level detected around. They don't care this is very selfisch and self-destructing, as they use 40 MHz channel width on 2.4 GHz as well.
The difference between indoors/outdoors/all setting in Mikrotik limits the channels you can choose from when set to regulatory domain and select a country.
If you set "outdoor", what is the mandatory choice for some devices like the SXTSQ 5 ac, Omnitik AC,... then you can not select an indoor frequency from the regulatory domain country set.
(Other combinations to check. Indoor should allow outdoor as well, as the signal remains inside, but it seems not to be defined that way.)
Indoors tend to be limited to 20dBm, Outdoors to 27 dBm, quite a difference if you are at the limit of a good connection.

Regulatory info via CLI:

[admin@hAPac2] /interface/wireless/info> country-info
ranges: 2402-2482/b,g,gn20,gn40(20dBm)
5170-5250/a,an20,an40,ac20,ac40,ac80,ac160,ac80+80(23dBm)/passive,indoor
5170-5330/a,an20,an40,ac20,ac40,ac80,ac160,ac80+80(20dBm)/dfs,passive,indoor
5250-5330/a,an20,an40,ac20,ac40,ac80,ac160,ac80+80(20dBm)/dfs,passive,indoor
5490-5710/a,an20,an40,ac20,ac40,ac80,ac160,ac80+80(27dBm)/dfs,passive
5190-5310/a-turbo(20dBm)/dfs
5180-5300/a-turbo(20dBm)/dfs
5520-5680/a-turbo(27dBm)/dfs,passive
5510-5670/a-turbo(27dBm)/dfs,passive
902-927/b,g,g-turbo,gn20,gn40(30dBm)

k4c
just joined

Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:53 pm

Hi,
I don't know if You still have an issue. What I have noticed recenlty with mikrotik wifi is that it may vary tx/rx strenght a LOT on different channels.
I observed this behaviour with 60 GHz links (only 1 channel out of 4 gives super performance, stability, and stable signal power).
I observed this with hap ac2 at 5 GHz. Try out this settings and different channels:
Instalation: any
Frequency-mode: manual-tx-power
Band: 5GHz-A/N/AC
Channel width: 20/40/80MHz XXXX

For me frequency 5200 work very well. Now i have signal strenght in registartion table -55, on different channel and settings it was -70. Exactly the same place, laptop, environment.
That looks to me like antennas or analog part of the radio is mismatched to certain frequencies.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:47 pm

For me frequency 5200 work very well. Now i have signal strenght in registartion table -55
1. with XXXX you have no control over which freq will be used, 20 MHz wide control channel (C) position can be Ceee, eCee, eeCe, eeeC. However with the non-DFS nature of that 5200 frequency , it will be eCee (5180-5200-5220-5240) by Mikrotik, as MT avoids mixing non-DFS and DFS appearantly. Check it in "status" of WLAN interface.
2. with installation "any" you have the correct setting. Nobody forbids outdoor frequencies to be used indoor, only Mikrotik device does this with "installation=indoor"
3. 5200 is not your "strongest" signal possible. It's only max 17 dBm (including antenna gain of 3dBm), even if you set higher manual TX-power under "regulatory domain"
BUT: interesting country "sri lanka" as that country allows for Frequency-mode="manual-txpower" (!?) while setting the country frequencies.
If I use this here (under ETSI regulation of 23dBm) the received signal at the laptop (inSIDDer sniffing) jumps from -61dBm to -55dBm.
Very tempting with all those non-compliant AP's around, giving a +10dBm signal strength even when set to the correct country.
But it is illegal.
Klembord-2.jpg
4. What do you mean with "strength in registration table=-55". Registration table in the Mikrotik AP shows the received signal strength of the client device. Or is it the strength in the client device?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:11 pm

The hapac2 is an excellent wired router for the price, can handle up to 1gig fiber connection.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:35 pm

/interface wireless info country-info "new zealand 5.8 fixed p-p"
  ranges: 5735-5835/a,an20,an40,ac20,ac40,ac80,ac160,ac80+80(53dBm)/outdoor
really? 53dBm???

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:17 pm

It says "p-p" ... which implies use of big parabolic antennae, where antenna gain easily surpasses 30dBi ... and that means power amplifier output of 2x 100mW (3dB+20dBm=23dBm).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:20 pm

The hapac2 is an excellent wired router for the price, can handle up to 1gig fiber connection.

It can hardly handle any fiber connection ... it hasn't got SFP/SFP+ cage. :-P

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:23 pm

It says "p-p" ... which implies use of big parabolic antennae, where antenna gain easily surpasses 30dBi ... and that means power amplifier output of 2x 100mW (3dB+20dBm=23dBm).
What have surprised me is than is the only country than allow more than 30dBm...
(on MikroTik internal database)
Routeros-7.1.5-mipsbe\bndl\wireless\nova\etc\wirelessrd

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:05 pm

It can hardly handle any fiber connection ... it hasn't got SFP/SFP+ cage. :-P
Sorry, I meant to say up to fibre internet with ethernet copper ports - picky picky picky, you must have copious amounts of dried snot in the two biggest nostrils on the planet. ;-P

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:20 pm

I was thinking about the exact same remark so I'm glad I am not alone.
And I could predict that sort of response...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:15 pm

I was thinking about the exact same remark so I'm glad I am not alone.
And I could predict that sort of response...
hahahah says the man from the land of phlegm ( I think you get the pun ) ;-)