Community discussions

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

What is the best way to enable GUEST WiFi?

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:38 am

I would appreciate some guidelines on the best approach how to enable guest WiFi.

We have Capsman isntallation with some 5-6 APs and two wlan networks for internal use. I was thinking that GUESTS link would be nice, but don't really like open networks (which are the easiest to use for actual guests).

What can (and does) happen with open wifi networks is that a lot of additional people get in. Is there a way to limit that somehow, etc.

Any advice appreciated! :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: What is the best way to enable GUEST WiFi?

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 am

apart from the specific SSID name, are there other considerations and limitations that need to be taken into account?
just making a separate SSID for guests is easy in capsman. make a new "configuration" and "datapath" template to have a new SSID and put the connected clients in a new bridge. Then you can assign them different IP addresses or firewall them.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:36 pm

I have no trouble creating additional SSID, but was considering the simplest solution for the actual guest. I ban guest SSID from accessing anything local, or each other.

I was thinking something in the line of maybe enabling them to be connected only for a specified amount of time, or maybe kicking them automatically when they get out of the company? - How is the dbi of the user connection calculated? By signal from the user?

lfoerster
just joined

Re: What is the best way to enable GUEST WiFi?  [SOLVED]

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm

You can find an excellent documentation about this design with the use of dynamic VLANs and authentication here:
https://administrator.de/wissen/dynamische-vlan-zuweisung-wlan-u-lan-clients-mikrotik-512768.html

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Thank you very much, the guide is excellent.