Community discussions

KenD
just joined
Topic Author

Total Beginner (hEX S) Simple SOHO Setup

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:56 am

Hello,
1) Any recommended resources for a TOTAL beginner besides the wiki? (I bought this router because I want to learn.)

2) I am trying to setup a hEX S (RB760iGS) between a Motorola MB8600 cable modem (Comcast Xfinity) and a windows based PC. (Then I will learn/add more.)
From what I read the router's default router configuration should work, but it's not and I don't know why. (Simple setup, no port bonding)

The modem can have one device connected to it and it dynamically allocates a network address and DNS. The computer works when connected directly to the modem.

When I connect the router's Ethernet1 to the modem and Ethernet2 to the computer, it doesn't work. The computer connects to the router. (I can use WInBox & webfig) The computer is not connecting to the modem/internet. Error message indicates it's not getting the expected DNS response. Selecting the update option in the router's configuration also gives a DNS error when it tries to check for the newest version available. (I have to swap wires and re-login, to switch between searching for the answer online and connecting to the router.)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Total Beginner (hEX S) Simple SOHO Setup

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:22 pm

If you are asking about literature, this one is pretty good.
https://www.amazon.ca/Routeros-Example- ... 0692777903

THe MT wikis are improving all the time but are not designed for beginners.
Spending time reading similar posts are helpful.

Finding topics that are similar perusing these presentations.....
https://mum.mikrotik.com/archive

These MT tutorials......
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHe4vS ... rhyrNYXzFg

Some others are good too.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Total Beginner (hEX S) Simple SOHO Setup  [SOLVED]

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:17 pm

The modem can have one device connected to it and it dynamically allocates a network address and DNS. The computer works when connected directly to the modem.

When I connect the router's Ethernet1 to the modem and Ethernet2 to the computer, it doesn't work. ...
If modem is limiting one device at time, then it'll likely do it by denying another DHCP lease until lease for previous device is valid. If you're lucky it doesn't actually store the lease to non-volatile storage and simply rebooting modem (power off / power on) would allow RB to obtain address from it. If that doesn't help, you'd have to wait until DHCP lease expires (under windows you can check lease expiry in "Network Connection Details").
BR,
Metod

mozerd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Since you are using the Motorola MB8600 the first thing that you should do is to find out is if the Cable Modem is BRIDGEABLE ... if the answer is YES then put the 8600 in bridge mode and then your hEX S (RB760iGS) will work with the default configuration otherwise you will experience the problems you have described.

To find out if the MB8600 is bridgeable disconnect the hEX S (RB760iGS) from the Cable Modem then pull the power cable from the Cable modem and wait for 30 seconds then put back the power cable into the Cable modem and wait another 3 minutes then attach your PC to the Cable Modem and check if your PC is connected to the Internet ... If YES then in your internet browser type in the following address 192.168.100.1 and that should take you to the Cable modem administrative page. It will prompt prompt you for a username and password which you will need to get from Comcast. Once you are in you can then see if bridge mode is available to you.

If on the Other hand you also subscribe to Comcast Triple Play service which provides you with TV, Internet and Phone my suggestion will not work and is far more complex to address.

If you do not subscribe to the Triple play service and if the Cable Modem is bridgeable then after completing the bridging step you will need to disconnect your PC immediately after you notice that the Cable modem is restarting and wait for 3 minutes after which you can connect the hEX S into the Cable Modem Ethernet port and be off to the races.

KenD
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:20 pm

anav, Thank you for the additional resources

mkx, Thank you. I was looking at settings and I never thought to reset the modem. That solved my current question!

mozerd, I don't see any user settings on the modem other than changing the login info. I bought the modem, not Comcast supplied. Only have internet, not triple play.

Next step, which isn't for this forum, is setting up the Unifi AP-AC-LR access point. Maybe I'll get lucky, and I can use it's power injector (24V 0.5A=12W) for both it (6.5W) and the RB206GS (5W), that will be near it.Power in port 1, AP port 5, other device port 3.If after getting it working, I want to add more advanced functionality, I may be back.

mozerd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm

According to the following doc
http://www.motorolacable.com/documents/ ... t-revE.pdf
Your cable modem is strictly a modem only with no other capability so the following should work for you.
1. Reset the modem but make sure that neither your hEX S or pc is attached. Shut down the hEX S
2. After the reset has completed now connect the hEX S WAN port to the modem Ethernet port and power on the hEX S
3. Now connect you pc to the hEX S and you should have access to the Internet ... if not you will need to check if your ISP DNS address where inserted properly by routerOS via winbox.