Community discussions

greasygeek
just joined
Topic Author

Trying to configure CRS305-1G-4S+IN...

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:18 am

I bought a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN and am needing to ditch most of the advanced features that is has but I know nothing about vlans and how this thing is supposed to work. I'm hoping that if I describe what I need, someone can explain how to configure this thing to get the result I'm after, so here goes...

I have 3 machines that I am trying to connect to the sfp+ ports so they can communicate at 10gb speeds with one another - my NAS, proxmox host, and one workstation. I want to use the lone ethernet port as an uplink to my existing gigabit unmanaged switch. I don't need or want any of the advanced features of the Mikrotik.

My current network layout is:
                                                  internet
                                                     |
                                        pfsense router & DHCP server
                                                     |
                                             unmanaged switch              
                                             /               \
                wireless AP & other machines                mikrotik
                                                               \
                                                     NAS, proxmox, workstation
I want to configure the Mikrotik so that the machines connected via sfp+ can pull from the DHCP server in pfsense and everything will be on one subnet. I have messed with this thing for hours and I cannot find a simple explanation of how to do this anywhere, just LOADS of conflicting information. I've tried it in routeros, swos, and have not had any luck due to my lack of understanding how to work with vlans.

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a networking guru. Hopefully someone can nudge me in the right direction for this.

Thanks in advance. :)

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Trying to configure CRS305-1G-4S+IN...

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Why do you want vlans at all if you need everything in one subnet?!

Just bridge all the interfaces and add dhcp-client to that bridge for the CRS to get the address itself (or even add that address statically).

greasygeek
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Why do you want vlans at all if you need everything in one subnet?!

Just bridge all the interfaces and add dhcp-client to that bridge for the CRS to get the address itself (or even add that address statically).
I'll take any suggestions, just please tell me how to do it! As I said, I know nothing about vlans and have never tinkered with anything besides plain old dumb switches. NOT a network guy at all!

I would prefer to keep this thing in swos as it seems far more manageable than routeros and I'm not going to use any of the router functions anyway.

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 pm

I’m almost sure you don’t need to configure anything at all in SwOS - the default config should work.
Maybe just change its own IP.

smccloud

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:41 pm

I know GreasyGeek and am trying to help him with this. Unfortunately, the two CRS309-1G-8S+IN switches I have in production have a different VLAN for traffic and management. What he wants to do (and I can't remrmber how to do) is use the 10Gne ports for their speed and also have the 1Gbe port be part of that same network to pass traffic to his existing LAN infrastructure. Basically, use it as a 5 port dumb switch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Trying to configure CRS305-1G-4S+IN...  [SOLVED]

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:49 pm

I know GreasyGeek and am trying to help him with this. Unfortunately, the two CRS309-1G-8S+IN switches I have in production have a different VLAN for traffic and management. What he wants to do (and I can't remrmber how to do) is use the 10Gne ports for their speed and also have the 1Gbe port be part of that same network to pass traffic to his existing LAN infrastructure. Basically, use it as a 5 port dumb switch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'm not completely sure, but I think in SwOS default config will do. All you need is to change the address to the one you need.
In ROS you need to reset the device without default config applied, add all ports to one bride and assign an address to that bridge.

greasygeek
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm not completely sure, but I think in SwOS default config will do. All you need is to change the address to the one you need.
In ROS you need to reset the device without default config applied, add all ports to one bride and assign an address to that bridge.
I tried the default config for swos, changed it's ip to 192.168.1.5 and nothing happens. No device connected to the sfp+ ports can "see" anything. The link tab shows everything connected properly, but traffic isn't going in/out to the sfp side.

In routeros, I tried to do exactly as described, but got the same results. I tried all of this before I ever came here. This has got to be a simple configuration issue but I don't know what to look for and this thing has enough options to get lost for days...

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm

What are the modules that you use?

greasygeek
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:28 pm

What are the modules that you use?
A pair of Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M cables for the moment.

I'm half way there now. Performed factory default, ran
/system swos reset-config
in the terminal to restore swos config to default, switched to swos boot mode, configured DHCP rservation for the ethernet MAC and set up "DHCP with failover" (so no matter what happens, it will always land on the same IP address), rebooted it, and I now have *one* of the ports on my Intel X520-DA2 mezzanine card connected to the network and properly pulling an address from the DHCP server.

I swapped the cables around and switched ports on the mezzanine card and the Mikrotik to verify that both cables are fine and all the ports are working properly on the switch.

So whatever is going on now is either a problem with the mezzanine card or proxmox itself. The output of ip addr yields the following...
7: enp12s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr4 state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a0:36:9f:18:bf:b9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
8: enp0s29u1u1u5c2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr3 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether aa:4d:80:42:c0:48 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

That's a separate problem that I will nail down on my own. The problem I was experiencing is that there is sooooooo much bad information floating around out there regarding these things that it's hard to make sense of it all.

Thanks for the information, now I have just one last gremlin to chase down and murder with an axe.