Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VLAN tag Untagged confusion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 pm

On a AP - Interface Bridge Vlan I have added tagged Vlans for ether + Wlan interfaces but in status they are appearing as "untagged" when I activate Vlan filtering, is this normal or do I change the vlan interfaces to untagged?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN tag Untagged confusion

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Vlan interfaces (the ones created under /interface vlan) have two ends... The "anchoring" end, mentioned in creation stanza as being tied to underlying interface, is tagged. The other, "free" end is untagged. So if you added the "free" end of vlan interface as port member of a bridge, then yes, it's untagged. But quite probably that use is not whet you want to achieve. For example, frequently made error is to add vlan interface as member port of the same bridge it is anchored to ...
BR,
Metod

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:52 pm

So If i understand this, a Vlan is it added as untagged and ether (or Wlan) is added as tagged?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:04 pm

I don't know what exactly you did and how exactly it demonstrates. How about posting config (/interface export) as well as print-outs which are bothering you?
BR,
Metod

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:09 pm

I am slowly beginning to realise that the next connected device will determine if tag or untag is required on the bridge vlan settings?
also can Vlan which as mentioned is untagged be set to tagged on the bridge vlan

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:56 pm

I have random AP + PTP lockup's and with nothing in the logs to indicate the cause of the issue, I am currently follow solutions listed in Manual:Layer2 misconfiguration
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:L ... figuration and applying to our network but tagged and untagged is confusing me,
PPPoE traffic path - core > PTP > PTP > 5 port switch RB750 > AP > CPE > Wlan port of WiFi router