Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

gemesif
just joined
Topic Author

Is any alternative of Mikrotik Btest 0.1 for Windows

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:12 pm

I would like to test and optimizing the WiFi connection between Mikrotik router and my laptop.
The Mikrotik Btest 0.1 for Windows, unfortunately 'not enough strong'.
Missing the statistic, and the authentication not working(when setting up the BTest server, I need to uncheck the Authentication box).
Workaround, Cloud Hosted Router on client side. It's not really elegant and effective.
gemesif

angriukas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Is any alternative of Mikrotik Btest 0.1 for Windows

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 pm

r00t
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:35 pm

iperf is not a solution as there is no iperf server or client in ROS

Mikrotik should release updated btest, it's really handy to be able to speedtest from windows without having to do all tests from hardware to hardware. If there is some reason why it can't be updated, then release just a simple commandline program that does the same as btest in ROS console. There is no need for a fancy GUI, just something that works! It shouldn't be that hard to cross-compile it with mingw, I don't think it depends on other ROS specific features...
If this is too much work, then why not just release documentation of the btest protocol? I don't see any reason why it should be kept secret, there is nothing sensitive about it...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:08 am

Why would you want to terminate the test in the router? This is not recommended, the test should go through the router, otherwise you are limited to the small CPU power of the router, and your test will show worse result than the router can actually "route"
No answer to your question? How to write posts

macsrwe
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:22 am

Why would you want to terminate the test in the router?
Not necessarily. Having iperf server in all MT routers would enable him to terminate the test in any other router. For example, next router in the path, instead of PC-based server in one other arbitrary spot on the network.

gemesif
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Why would you want to terminate the test in the router? This is not recommended, the test should go through the router, otherwise you are limited to the small CPU power of the router, and your test will show worse result than the router can actually "route"
I would like to test and optimizing the WiFi connection between 'my Mikrotik router AP' and 'my laptop'. So more accurate. That's why I want to terminate the test in the router.
gemesif

r00t
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:43 pm

It's perfecly fine to do btests from router, as long as you keep watch on the router CPU usage to make sure you not limited by that.
So btesting from each hop to the next, be it router, AP, outdoor link, etc. is always good practice. If router is used in SOHO environment then there simply is no other router behind that to use for btesting (unless you use one of the free internet btest servers). But most routerboards can easily run btest at full wire speed (100MBit/s). If you are testing GigE or faster interfaces, you have to check first if CPU usage isn't limiting factor... but on newer HW like RB4011 that's fine too.

Overall I don't see anything wrong with topic author's question or practice... what I do see is reply from Normis that's not really helpful, not really answering any questions, just criticizing gemesif and avoiding the real questions as usual...

gemesif:
If you have android phone and notebook, you can connect the NB using cable to router, run iperf server on it and then use GE tools on android phone for testing (it does have iperf client in it) to test wifi connection. As you can see state of btest support on other platforms is rather sad.... so we have to use workarounds like this.

gemesif
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:32 pm

It's perfecly fine to do btests from router, as long as you keep watch on the router CPU usage to make sure you not limited by that.
So btesting from each hop to the next, be it router, AP, outdoor link, etc. is always good practice. If router is used in SOHO environment then there simply is no other router behind that to use for btesting (unless you use one of the free internet btest servers). But most routerboards can easily run btest at full wire speed (100MBit/s). If you are testing GigE or faster interfaces, you have to check first if CPU usage isn't limiting factor... but on newer HW like RB4011 that's fine too.

Overall I don't see anything wrong with topic author's question or practice... what I do see is reply from Normis that's not really helpful, not really answering any questions, just criticizing gemesif and avoiding the real questions as usual...

gemesif:
If you have android phone and notebook, you can connect the NB using cable to router, run iperf server on it and then use GE tools on android phone for testing (it does have iperf client in it) to test wifi connection. As you can see state of btest support on other platforms is rather sad.... so we have to use workarounds like this.
Thank for new workaround tip, and for 'protection'. :)
gemesif