Community discussions

MikroTik App

jsmith2
just joined
Topic Author

Notifications for Excessive Bandwidth Usage using SNMP

Wed May 09, 2007 4:49 am

Is it possible to have dude monitor send a notification if SNMP reports usage over a certain level? For example, a dude network map with a SNMP link between switch and server is exceeding 90MB, can it send a email notification when that SNMP link reached 50MB?

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Notifications for Excessive Bandwidth Usage using SNMP

Wed May 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Is it possible to have dude monitor send a notification if SNMP reports usage over a certain level? For example, a dude network map with a SNMP link between switch and server is exceeding 90MB, can it send a email notification when that SNMP link reached 50MB?
Yes, you have to create your own probe (type 'function') and then you'll be able to do that.

See this thread for some examples you can start off with...

jsmith2
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2007 2:51 am

Thanks for the information, but I couldn't find any information in the forum on how to have dude report if bandwidth exceeds a certain value. There is information on Cisco CPU and OUTLOOK.EXE (0/1), but couldn't find anything about Bandwidth Usage. Please provide the thread URL or any additional information that would be helpful.

Thank you for your help.

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 16, 2007 3:12 pm

Sorry, fogot to paste the URL. This is it: http://forum.mikrotik.com//viewtopic.php?t=12402

You'll find some examples there. Not precisely what you want, but you should be able to go from there...

bobg
just joined

Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi jsmith2... I have been trying to do this too. did you ever get it to work ?

Thanks,

Bob G.

cajeptha
just joined

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:21 pm

Did you get the information about the bandwidth Management???

Carl

jsmith2
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:22 pm

No, we never could get this to work.

There is no information available, and support for The Dude is almost non-existent, except for the little information that is here in the forums. From the research we did, it's not possible to have the Dude send notifications when a specific port on a Cisco Router reaches a certain threshold.

We have since stopped using the Dude until the Dude is developed more and has the support required for our enterprise customers.

VTWifiGuy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi, i was motivated by this thread to implement bandwidth warnings for our smart switches, I got it to generate an alert if the port used 9Mbps of traffic for a period of 10 minutes. Is this what you were looking to do?

boardman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:38 am

Hi, i was motivated by this thread to implement bandwidth warnings for our smart switches, I got it to generate an alert if the port used 9Mbps of traffic for a period of 10 minutes. Is this what you were looking to do?
Can you please post how you did it?

Thanks

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:23 am

Can you please post how you did it?

Thanks

+1 :shock:

subrec
just joined

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:32 pm

I get creating the probe, but I don't get how I make it notify me if the limits are hit?

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:06 pm

I get creating the probe, but I don't get how I make it notify me if the limits are hit?
Are you getting to the point where the device is going orange or red? Then it's simply a matter of going into that device's properties, polling tab and enabling 'use notifications'. You can add to the list of notification types under (you've guessed it) 'Notifications' in the main program.

subrec
just joined

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:07 pm

I didn't do a good job of explaining that. I know how to get notified, it's setting the actual limit that has me stumped.

For example, I'm trying to set a limit on CPU usage:

Type: function
Available: cpu_usage_available()
error: if(cpu_usage_available(), "80", "high")

the rest is a copy of the default CPU setting.

What I'm trying to accomplish is getting ti to notify me when usage is 80% or higher, but I don't think I'm doing it correctly. Do you have any suggestions?

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:12 pm

I don't understand your probe... I think a 'error when CPU > 80' probe should look something like this:
Name: CPU usage < 80% (because the probe is essentially checking to see the CPU is under 80%, not over [but this is semantics 8) ])
Type: Funtion
Available: if(cpu_usage()>0, 1, -1)
Error: if(cpu_usage()<80, "", "CPU usage > 79%")
Value: cpu_usage()
Unit: %
Rate: none
This probe (not tested, but I'm fairly confident :)) is ok when the CPU is under 80%, and errors when 80% or higher.

Please keep in mind that a probe usually needs to fail 3 times before they go into error and each probe is done, what?, once a minute? (all configurable). So the CPU has to go over 79% and stay that way for at least a little while to trigger a warning.

subrec
just joined

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:00 pm

I don't understand your probe... I think a 'error when CPU > 80' probe should look something like this:

This probe (not tested, but I'm fairly confident :)) is ok when the CPU is under 80%, and errors when 80% or higher.

Please keep in mind that a probe usually needs to fail 3 times before they go into error and each probe is done, what?, once a minute? (all configurable). So the CPU has to go over 79% and stay that way for at least a little while to trigger a warning.
I'll give that a shot. Thank you!

What I'm trying to catch are periods of long high CPU usage, so that's just fine. I'm having problems with my Citrix servers where every user on the server just freezes for several minutes. I'm trying to see if it's one person running a report, or at least try to narrow down why it slows down. If I can get notified of the problem, then I can start to figure out what is running at that time. Otherwise the users tend to just roll with it and not tell me until afterwards when I can't do anything about it.

Thanks again!

EdwardQ
just joined

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Have anyone set up notifing for Excessive bandwidth that will say how they did it?

I have tryed to create a function for getting the ifinOctets but its a running counter. I dont know how to get the prevous polling counter to figure out the traffic. I also cant figure out if theres a way to get the information that Dude is doing.

Thanks.

Martinalix
just joined

Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:37 am

SNMP,allows administrators to discern actual bandwidth usage based on multiple parameters, such as IP addresses, port numbers, protocols, etc., using either packet sniffing or Netflow collector sensors.