Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Reshy
just joined
Topic Author

Webproxy in CCR1036

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am

I have CCR1036 and I want activate my webproxy and cache for fast browsing, do I need install external HDD or not? I am running hotspot with almost 700 clients.

please guide me bcz I have only 200 mbps for all my clients and mostly they complain when there is a lot of load on my system.

bpwl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Webproxy in CCR1036

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm

For a webproxy only, you don't need a disk. For the cache you do need that storage. Make it fast, so maybe a SSD disk might be usable. (A USB stick is too limited in read/write cycles).
Remember that only HTTP will be cached. HTTPS is never cached as every transfer is different, even for the exact same content. With the security evolution towards HTTPS the cache becomes less and less important. Still the proxy may be usefull, as it might use a better HTTP connection than the browser does (packet aggregation, session reuse, ...).

Try to prioritise the traffic, or limit things like P2P connections. Another small benefit can come from blocking advertisers (Pi-Hole).
Don't forget to cache the DNS requests, There can be a high volume of repeated identical requests.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Webproxy in CCR1036

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 pm

I have CCR1036 and I want activate my webproxy and cache for fast browsing, do I need install external HDD or not? I am running hotspot with almost 700 clients.

please guide me bcz I have only 200 mbps for all my clients and mostly they complain when there is a lot of load on my system.
What do they complain about? Are they using certain timing-critical functions like Voice and report stuttering?
Are they all watching video at the same time?
Or are they just reporting slow browsing? How intensive is their usage?

Anyhow, you cannot expect a webproxy to improve things drastically. There may be a small improvement but there also will be new issues.
Do not try to cache content on the internal disk! When you want caching, you need an external disk (USB).

However, prepare yourself for not solving the problem that way. In the past it helped quite a lot, but not anymore today. The majority of cached content you will find is "Microsoft Windows Updates", and when your 700 clients are not mainly Windows devices that only use your network (i.e. they do not download their updates somewhere else already) it is not a big chunk of the traffic. Furthermore, not evey web proxy will be able to cache this content because Windows retrieves it in small chunks instead of whole files.