Community discussions

MikroTik App

AstroPig7
Topic Author

Possibly silly question about Bridge mode

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 am

I have a MikroTik hEX PoE that I am configuring for the first time, and I need it to work in bridge mode. However, when I select Bridge mode under Ethernet Quick Set in WebFig, the device suddenly stops responding to HTTP requests. As a test, I set Address Acquisition to “Automatic”, and I confirmed it does pick up a DHCP address by checking the device list on my Internet gateway. However, all attempts to contact it over HTTP, Telnet, or SSH just time out. All ports are open on my internal network, and I already have a MikroTik hEX (not PoE) device working with the same configuration. I also tried switching the network cable to ports other than Internet, but I get nothing. The only way I can reconfigure the device is to reset the configuration and reconnect using the default address (192.168.88.1).

Am I overlooking something obvious?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Possibly silly question about Bridge mode

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:57 pm

Dont use quickset to configure the router.

AstroPig7
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm

Dont use quickset to configure the router.
Ha! I just figured that out. I managed to get the device working by going to Bridge > Ports and adding “ether1” to the existing bridge. Now Quick Set states the device is working in Bridge mode. Is Quick Set known to be broken?

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Not broken, it works perfectly fine if your devices was reset before.

But don't use it once you configured your device with Webfig/Winbox or Terminal/CLI.
Then things get mixed up and it screws up things.

So once set up with Quickset, you can continue makes changes through Webfig/Winbox.
But then never use Quickset again, except if you reset your device and you want to do something else with it
and want to use Quickset for... quick setup :-)

AquaL1te

Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:29 pm

I used quick settings to set it in bridge mode (after a reset), but then it doesn't get an IP. I added ether1 manually to the bridge (after an reset) and then indeed it shows the device in bridge mode. But then I set the IP address to dynamic (in quick settings) and then the device is lost again. I guess I have to do that manually as well? Quick settings does seem broken to me.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 pm

Read post #2

AquaL1te

Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:19 am

Read post #2
I've read it, but it's a bit strange, right? If it serves no purpose, why is it there? Or why isn't it fixed?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:18 am

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:52 pm

Simple, different things have different priorities for MikroTik, and it doesn't seem that Quick Set has the highest one. Which is probably right, many others are more important.

AquaL1te

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:19 pm

Simple, different things have different priorities for MikroTik, and it doesn't seem that Quick Set has the highest one. Which is probably right, many others are more important.
Prioritization is key indeed. But it would then be better to hide this functionality until it's fixed. Reputation is also a priority :)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:51 pm

But it would then be better to hide this functionality until it's fixed.

QuickSet is not really broken (not much at least), it's fine to use it exclusively. But then it doesn't allow user to configure device in any non-trivial way.

So what MT should do is to hide QuickSet if anything is configured without using QuickSet (either via "normal" GUI interfaces or via CLI). And prior to accept the "invalidation" change it should warn user about pending hiding QuickSet with big ugly blinking letters.
Such idea was already mentioned in this forum (possibly multiple times), but MT didn't hear that.