Community discussions

MikroTik App

Adam McLaughlin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Problem with Registering Clients

Tue May 22, 2007 8:03 pm

Ok guys - I have an annoying and serious problem here.

I am having a hell of a time making the A.P. units register all clients, consistently. Clients are Engenius EOC-3220 or 2611 (CB5 format).

I am using a RB532, with an R52 radio.
I also have this same problem when using the SR2 radio, although to a much more extreme degree.

When using the RB532 with the R52... I have the Routerboard setup in bridge mode. Ether1 and Wlan1 are bridged together.

Not using hotspot mode, just a clean and simple bridge. The RB 532 is not doing any addressing, or routing to speak of.

When I do something to cause the clients to re-register, all hell breaks loose. I see perhaps 3 to five of the twenty two clients on the A.P. re-register...

This is very annoying to say the least.

These people are ostensibly offline, as well.

Now, if the A.P. only serves fewer than ten clients, then it doesn't seem to have this problem. I have verified that with SR2, and SR6 radios as well.

I have noticed something helpful about this problem:

If i disable the wlan1 component of the bridge, and then disable the wlan device, followed by a re-enable of the wlan1, many clients re-register about half of the time. As soon as I see everyone pop up, then I re-enable the wlan1 component of the bridge, and everyone is happily on again.

Please, can someone suggest what I am doing wrong with my A.P.?

This is really annoying... and clients get all hot when they call up and ask what the problem is.

So... I was wondering if one of two things were happening:

A. Too many ARP requests at once for the Routerboard to handle
B. Too much bridging of traffic to handle at once??

.....but these are just thoughts that are really grabbing at straws.

Thanks in advance guys,

Adam

support(at)pogowave.com

chiefbmr

Thu May 24, 2007 8:41 am

I am having the exact same problem with the same setup with the SR2 card. Still waiting for a solution too.

Adam McLaughlin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2007 4:51 pm

Oh good. That means that I am not the only person experiencing this.

I have found a way to negate it, half of the time.

A: Disable the wireless device

B: Disable the wireless side of the bridge

C: Re-enable the wireless device

D: Re-enable the wireless side of the bridge

As long as another bridging component doesn't pop in, like WDS, the A.P. will have a much better success rate in re-registering the clients.

There should be a real way to deal with this, though.

I have tried it with SR2, and R52 radios.

Seem to have similar degrees of success with either radio.

Adam

chiefbmr

Thu May 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Has anybody tried the Compex WLM54AG card yet. Do they have the same issues?

surfnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2007 6:05 pm

I am starting to see a pattern, I first posted this http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=15434 and thought it was a single user to start, then I figured it was mixing the Atheros chipset and the prism.. Now I am see it even more clearly

Basically I am seeing the problem spread over my 27 node network like a disease. It happened on my most popular nodes first, and then has been affecting the other nodes as well, and the same fix works on all node.
to fix you do one of 2 things
1. disable...enable.. a 1000 times till you see everyone get on.
2. stick in a prism chip set, everyone connects but then they complain about speed and other things, things that are solved by switching to the atheros.

Now I have a theory, I believe it is the RB113 board out there. When I get a call that no one can connect on a node that has not had the problem, I notice that there has been an 133 user added. the node in question was working perfectly with 32 people on it, now 2we added 2 133 mikrotik clients, and BAM, that node is now having the same problem.

I am in the process of adding a new card to the AP, and moving all the atheros cards to it, I have done that to 1 node, and as soon as I moved the RB133 clients to the new card, everything went back to normal

I need people to chime in here and let us know if you have this problem, and if you are using RB133s in the field.

NOTE: I love the RB133 as a client, I have solved many issues by having the ability to login to peoples' CPEs and do diagnostics, now if we could beat this latest issue we will be in Mikrotik Heaven.
Ken

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 25, 2007 3:43 am

I don't yet have the per AP client loadings that you guys have, but I did have problems with using dynamic WDS and AP on the same Atheros radio card. In the end I switched to static WDS and no more problems.

Adam McLaughlin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2007 3:49 am

WDS or NO WDS, there is no difference in the problem I see.

Adam

nickb

Re: Problem with Registering Clients

Thu May 31, 2007 12:34 am

ditto.... same issues on our network.