Community discussions

MikroTik App

friesedraad
just joined
Topic Author

20km Point-to-Point 5HPacD2HPnD-XL or LHGXL52ac has 5dBi less gain due to antenna construction dual band design

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:31 pm

Does anyone else have this experience?
I have just bought 5 of these Sept 2019 released antenna's LHGXL52ac that have a max 30dBm Tx radio power with a 24vdc factory supplied adapter. Has anyone experience with the unit not being able to reach the full output as I have a link where one direction has 10dB lower than the other. I suspect that with the 28m cable that the power reaching the antenna is too low "Health 21.2 V".
I even noticed another one does every couple of days a restart like it had a power failure.

Up til now I used the LHGXLHP5 which have a max of 25dBm tx radio power and never come across this 10dB Tx /Rx level difference using a 24vdc power adapter, even with a 95m cable in some situations.

So to me it looks like the an antenna is broken from new or it is a power issue? so shall try putting on a 50vdc power adpater as the LHGXL52ac is designed for 50vdc as well.

So does anyone else have this experience?

Netherlands
Last edited by friesedraad on Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 20km Point-to-Point 5HPacD2HPnD-XL or LHGXL52ac

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:52 am

That distance is nothing for this antenna... https://mikrotik.com/products/ptp
Has anyone experience with the unit not being able to reach the full output
Full output? Actually you must setup the antenna within the Limits allowed in your Country.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:01 am

It's not the voltage, these will happily work down to 12V...

millenium7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:38 am

That distance is nothing for this antenna... https://mikrotik.com/products/ptp
Has anyone experience with the unit not being able to reach the full output
Full output? Actually you must setup the antenna within the Limits allowed in your Country.
I call bulllllllllllllllshit on those graphs lol
LHG XL 5AC can supposedly do 23km at MCS7 and its only a 27db dish. Maybe on Mars it can, here on Earth no chance

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:35 pm

@millenium7 the OP does not mention that the link is not established... So i dont even see your point !
If those graphs are not real maybe you should contact support and let them know ... :lol:

friesedraad
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:15 pm

This info I got from Mikrotik Support should clear it all up.

LHG XL 52 ac LHGXL52ac antenna dual band has 5dB less receive power than other 27dBi LHG antenna (designed like this!)

I purchased beginning 2020 a total of 4 of these LHGXL52ac antenna hoping to build a stable 20km (12.5miles) point-to-point link and found that I could not get the expected Rx signal levels and definitely not the expect throughput.
Turns out that the LHGXL52ac 5Ghz is not designed to have as much gain as a single frequency LHGXLHP5 27dBi dish says Mikrotik support in an email to me. This being due to the LHGXL52ac having a 2Ghz antenna placed in the same headend whereby the 5Ghz antenna has not been placed in the exact sweet spot of the parabolic curve therefore has 5dB less gain on the receive side and in fact 5dBi less antenna gain on the transmit side too.
My summary is that the main use of the LHGXL52ac is for if you have a shorter point-to-point link (10km or 6miles) where you would like a 2Ghz backup built all in one unit I guess?
Due to the LHGXL52ac having extra Tx radio power (up to 30dBm) 3 or 5dBm more than other LHGXL5 units then one can compensate a little if your country regulations allow. But as we know it is much better to have more antenna gain.

The 5dB signal less is particularly noticed if you pair a LHGXL5 with a LHGXL52ac, one direction is 5dBm less than the other with same tx power levels in both units.

To this end I confirmed indeed that the radio is mounted incorrectly for the 5Ghz radio card antenna and to fix I have moved the radio card board in the headend about 7mm to the centre of the parabolic sweet spot by adding in some extenders onto the 4 radio board mount bolts, so it is in reality it is 7mm further away from the dish and almost touching the ethernet lid side plastic.

I have yet to test this redesigned board position so shall update when I know.
To get a better throughput I used LHGXLHP5 units at both ends and on another link a 30dBi dish.

Would be nice if this was in the specs documentation so as one can waste a lot of time climbing towers trying to figure out why it is not working as expected!
Then this LHGXL52ac should be classed as a 22dBi on the 5Ghz segment of the antenna and not 27dBi.

I had also initially thought that the supplied 24volts power adapter may not give enough power to the radio but on trying a 50volt adapter no improvement, and all 4 units had the same 5dB gain less than in the specifications.

Netherlands WISP
Friesedraad