Community discussions

MikroTik App

robertlaurenson
just joined
Topic Author

Rural p2p link advice required

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi everyone, hope you can help with my situation.
I have just built a new workshop which as the crow flies is 2.4 miles from our house. (well the hill above it is at least)
We have good internet at home, 30mbps or more and where the workshop is the internet is lucky if it reaches 1.5mbps.
I have been looking into options, 1 being 4g broadband which i could get but it would cost around 40 pounds per month to have the IP security camera set up i am looking for due to the data usage.
The second option i have now found is the wireless p2p option, at the top of the hill near the workshop i can see my house and am hopeful that i could run a cat 6 cable up the hill and put possibly an "SXT SQ5 AC" up there and one on the gable end of my house.
As mentioned above the link is 2.4 miles, there is a clear line of sight over the top of another hill (not sure if this matters but see attached photos) and finally 3/4 of a mile of it is over the sea, the link is between the top of two hills and starts 30m from sea level and ends up 70m from sea level above the workshop so the signal should be nowhere near the water.
So i suppose my questions are
1, do you think it will work with all the info above and attached photos?
2, i have been looking at Mikrotik and Ubiquiti and not sure whether to go for one or the other?
3, how do these units stand up to weather, i live in shetland and its very exposed especially the one which would be on the hill above the workshop.
Thanks in advance
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Rural p2p link advice required

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:49 pm

0.- What a wonderful place to live!

1.- The link seems to be viable even with the water masses. I'd use an online calculator, or google earth to draw the PTP and see elevation/fresnel to research a little more, but in the end the proof is in the pudding.

I guess also spectrum in your area is clean?? Are there more houses with 5Ghz antennas around?

2.- This is a mikrotik forum :)

3.- Mikrotik antennas are deployed on really harsh environments, that being said salty water ends up rusting and breaking everything. Sealing with dielectric grease, or other mediums any potential spots where water may seep in will help.

In addition to an SXT, I'd consider a LHG5.

Price on both is about the same, main difference is LHG5 is way bigger, has almost triple antena gain vs SXT sq 5, 100Mbit ether port vs 1G port, and LHG is N whereas SXT sq 5 is N/AC.

But... I think 100Mbps sustained is perfectly enough for an IP cam.

robertlaurenson
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 pm

0.- What a wonderful place to live!

1.- The link seems to be viable even with the water masses. I'd use an online calculator, or google earth to draw the PTP and see elevation/fresnel to research a little more, but in the end the proof is in the pudding.

I guess also spectrum in your area is clean?? Are there more houses with 5Ghz antennas around?

2.- This is a mikrotik forum :)

3.- Mikrotik antennas are deployed on really harsh environments, that being said salty water ends up rusting and breaking everything. Sealing with dielectric grease, or other mediums any potential spots where water may seep in will help.

In addition to an SXT, I'd consider a LHG5.

Price on both is about the same, main difference is LHG5 is way bigger, has almost triple antena gain vs SXT sq 5, 100Mbit ether port vs 1G port, and LHG is N whereas SXT sq 5 is N/AC.

But... I think 100Mbps sustained is perfectly enough for an IP cam.
Hi pukkita,
Thanks for the detailed reply
I tried an online calculator thing called airlink but it says theres an obstruction so i think the data must be off, as you can see in the photos there is a clear view of the whole end of my house.
Would the SXT be enough do you think, the other one as you say is bigger meaning it would catch the wind a lot more, and yes a 100mbit link is most definitely enough for what i want.
Thanks
Robert

robertlaurenson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:17 am

Pukkita
Also looks like the LHG5 is only good for 1.5km so not idea for what im doing to be honest.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:03 am

Have you seen it? It has been designed to stand strong winds, frosts, snows... I also think it is a sturdier design for your conditions regarding moisture, etc...

Captura de pantalla 2020-04-28 a las 0.54.18.png
Reference: Mikrotik PtP Guide a pair of this will provide a solid reliable link for larger distances than you need...

All I can say is you'd better factor in climate (fog, water masses hops) and other potential losses, this antenna does it by pure physical design (gain) and that requires a size, but doesn't seem to be an obstacle in your scenario; in urban, crowded areas, a SXT sometimes is a requirement because of being much less conspicuous than bigger ones, mostly to comply with local urban regulations.

That being said, both should do the job, but only if, no obstacles in the line of sight. Maybe you can post a screenshot?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robertlaurenson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:20 am

Have you seen it? It has been designed to stand strong winds, frosts, snows... I also think it is a sturdier design for your conditions regarding moisture, etc...

Captura de pantalla 2020-04-28 a las 0.54.18.png

Reference: Mikrotik PtP Guide a pair of this will provide a solid reliable link for larger distances than you need...

All I can say is you'd better factor in climate (fog, water masses hops) and other potential losses, this antenna does it by pure physical design (gain) and that requires a size, but doesn't seem to be an obstacle in your scenario; in urban, crowded areas, a SXT sometimes is a requirement because of being much less conspicuous than bigger ones, mostly to comply with local urban regulations.

That being said, both should do the job, but only if, no obstacles in the line of sight. Maybe you can post a screenshot?
If you have a look at the attachments i have a couple of photos taken through a telescope of the proposed link.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:43 am

In addition of Direct Line of Sight, you need to check if there's an obstacle in the first fresnel zone of the link.

What are the GPS coordinates of each point? I referred to a screenshot of a Link Planner calculator or Google Earth to see a cross section of the PtP terrain elevation.

robertlaurenson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:27 am

In addition of Direct Line of Sight, you need to check if there's an obstacle in the first fresnel zone of the link.

What are the GPS coordinates of each point? I referred to a screenshot of a Link Planner calculator or Google Earth to see a cross section of the PtP terrain elevation.
Hi again
Here is a screenshot of the ubiquiti planner, it says theres a hill in the way but from being there as you can see in my earlier photos there quite clearly isnt. Theres a dip in the hill you can see through.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:53 am

That hill is obstructing the fresnel zone, I'd mount both as high as possible, play with antenna heights to see what would be the minimum...

robertlaurenson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:01 pm

That hill is obstructing the fresnel zone, I'd mount both as high as possible, play with antenna heights to see what would be the minimum...
The thing is from what i could see i dont think it is, the reason i say that is the fresnel zone has a 25ft radius for 5ghz, and the end of my house is 27 feet, i can see the full gable end over the top of that hill from a 5ft camera tripod. Doesnt that mean if got at least 25ft clearance? Or have i worked that out wrong?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:01 pm

I agree with @pukkita and his suggestions...
Nice view as well...

robertlaurenson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:06 pm

I agree with @pukkita and his suggestions...
Nice view as well...
Do you think it will work looking at the photos, and whether to go for the SXT or the LHG, not sure now which one to go for, heres a thing, whats the LHG made from? If its steel it will most liklet tot away to nothing quite quickly?

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:20 pm

I think it will work although i do not like that obstacle there... You should certainly use a higher pole for that Antenna and avoid that obstacle as much as you can (Better Performance)...

I ve used both SXTs and LHGs (maybe every model available) on harsh enviroments with a great combination of Wind, Sun, Moisture and Salt (near the Sea) enviroments and i would recommend you the LHG...
Also i would recommend you to use 4 RBGESPs, two on each side of the Antennas to protect them from Lightnings as much as possible...
https://mikrotik.com/product/rbgesp

robertlaurenson
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:37 pm

I think it will work although i do not like that obstacle there... You should certainly use a higher pole for that Antenna and avoid that obstacle as much as you can (Better Performance)...

I ve used both SXTs and LHGs (maybe every model available) on harsh enviroments with a great combination of Wind, Sun, Moisture and Salt (near the Sea) enviroments and i would recommend you the LHG...
Also i would recommend you to use 4 RBGESPs, two on each side of the Antennas to protect them from Lightnings as much as possible...
https://mikrotik.com/product/rbgesp
Ok, thanks for the info
Can i please ask what the LHG is made from? Steel, aluminum, plastic?
Thanks
Robert

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Rural p2p link advice required  [SOLVED]

Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:15 pm

It is made of plastic and a really light wire mesh (dunno if steel or aluminum, I'd say an steel alloy) material:

Great point on the RBGESPs Zacharias! Definitely highly advisable to install them, moreso in this scenario.

Robert, I'd contact LinITX, they're really experienced in your climate and will be able address any concerns you may have.

chrisgr
just joined

Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:16 pm

Hello,
Zacharias & Pukkita , is it ridiculous idea to ask you for your advice in the viewtopic.php?t=197070 ?

Thank you.