Community discussions

MikroTik App

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

RouterOS DPDK

Sat May 09, 2020 1:02 pm

Any plans for ROS v7 to support DPDK/ VPP for line rate 10Gbit/s + routing ?
This would give mikrotik a big jump in throughput and performance over millions of pps.
On top of that, support for firewall filters done in NIC hardware etc..
I think it will be a game changer for Mikrotik to consider it and it will put Mikrotik on par with big vendors performance wise.

g33k
just joined

Re: RouterOS DPDK

Sun May 10, 2020 12:44 am

+1

This is a Very Practical Request. Any Response from Mikrotik Officials on this ?
Last edited by g33k on Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clauu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 10, 2020 11:20 am

You are kidding right, mikrotik barely has time and resources to work on v7, from september till now it's 7beta5. This way it will take another 1-2years to have a fully v7 release. Not to say that this v7 it's the only one with a more current kernel release(4), all other versions are based on kernel 2.6.. 10years old kernel. This is the main reason why in production i stopped using mikrotik devices other than switches.
Although in mikrotik eyes i'm a 'noone', my opinion is that mikrotik should change his current strategies to target low cost equipments, they should increase price for hardware and licenses, and make more major investments in development and features, in order to bring mikrotik devices as close to all other enterprise solutions. There is no 'good and cheap' solution ;)

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun May 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Actually it is a very practical request.
Imagine a special version of ROS called "RouterOS Core" targetted to Core network deployment.
It will have only the Routing package + Firewall Filter features and nothing else. No fancy stuff like VPN, NAT etc.
OS will be based on Fd.io/ DPDK/ VPP and will only work on specific CPU + Network NICs or with their custom hardware like new CCRs with DPDK supported ARM chipsets.
No body wants all the bell and whistles on Core Network Routers. Just BGP, OSPF and stateless firewall filters.
RouterOS in its current situation (kernel based routing) can not keep up with 1M+ pps while simultanusly routing 10Gbit+.
Even small ddos attacks with high pps take down the most powerful CCRs .
Mikrotik may charge extra for RouterOS Core yearly for funding the devolopment and I think most of us here are OK to pay a yearly license fee for a powerful Core Router which can handle 10M+ pps.

Clauu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 10, 2020 10:19 pm

Don't get me wrong, i'm fully 100% with you, what you have described it's a great ideea and it will be a huge step, but with current mikrotik strategy this will be close to 0 to be happened in near future.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 11, 2020 3:49 am

Actually it is a very practical request.
Imagine a special version of ROS called "RouterOS Core" targetted to Core network deployment.
It will have only the Routing package + Firewall Filter features and nothing else. No fancy stuff like VPN, NAT etc.
OS will be based on Fd.io/ DPDK/ VPP and will only work on specific CPU + Network NICs or with their custom hardware like new CCRs with DPDK supported ARM chipsets.
No body wants all the bell and whistles on Core Network Routers. Just BGP, OSPF and stateless firewall filters.
RouterOS in its current situation (kernel based routing) can not keep up with 1M+ pps while simultanusly routing 10Gbit+.
Even small ddos attacks with high pps take down the most powerful CCRs .
Mikrotik may charge extra for RouterOS Core yearly for funding the devolopment and I think most of us here are OK to pay a yearly license fee for a powerful Core Router which can handle 10M+ pps.
This is actually a really great idea.

In my opinion they should not focus on DPDK, but rather a framework like OpenFastPath/OpenDataPlane this will allow them to plug in a bunch of different offloads whether it is ASIC based offlload on the Marvell Prestera boxes, or DPDK/XDP on CHR and smaller boxes.

thekrzos

Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:59 am

+1

Wmillo

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:38 pm

I think the Mikrotik fast past is based on dpdk......

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:48 am

Just an FYI there are more modern and better replacements for DPDK that are now built into the Linux Kernel like io_uring and eBPF that do not peg CPU cores at 100% to handle interrupts.

Mikrotik would be wise to use these.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 am

I am fairly certain that they do NOT use dpdk. If they did, one of your CPU cores would be pegged at 100%

chubbs596
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 pm

I am fairly certain that they do NOT use dpdk. If they did, one of your CPU cores would be pegged at 100%
Maybe they have there own custom version of backported xdp for fastpath,

drdre
just joined

Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:30 am

Any updates on this topic?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:50 am

Any updates on this topic?