Community discussions

MikroTik App

mubh
just joined
Topic Author

hap ac2 wifi issues

Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 pm

I installed hap ac2 yesterday (US version) and facing issues with wifi across iphone, android phone and windows laptop. Here is the entire sequence of my router setup

1. Plugged in router to power source and ethernet cable to LAN 1. When I enabled wifi lookup from my android phone found 2 Mikrotik entries, selected one and then went into admin from Mikrotik Android app. I somehow set up what i believe is a ssid (same as what i had before plugging in mikrotik router)

2. I got logged off the app and after a lot of trial and error was able to get the admin page opened on browser in Mac mini using the Ethernet cable.

3. Upgraded to latest stable update, rebooted router, upgraded RouterOS firmware to latest and rebooted router.

4. I was able to see ssid in both (2 and 5Ghz), however I was not able to use wifi.

5. Tried modifying password in default security profile but could not get it working.

6. Created new security profile and used it against the ssid (both 2 and 5Ghz).

7. I was able to get wifi working in Android phone (Moto G5 Plus, Sony G3223), iPhone 8.

8. WiFi kept dropping in Android (Moto G5) and iPhone 8 when the screen in either devices were off. The only way to get WiFi working in Moto G5 Plus is to disable wifi, forget network and reconfigure the network back again. This gets the wifi working but only until the screen is on. When the screen goes off wifi says connected but no internet. This happens every time and the only way to get it working is forget and reconfigure. iPhone wifi does not work even after forget network and reconfigure. Sony so far has been holding OK so far, though not sure for how long.

9. Connected Windows 10 laptop (Lenovo Z50-70). Unregistered old ssid and re-registered back again. But Wifi did not work. Finally had to use ETH and able to get internet.

10. Internet through ethernet seems to be OK so far, didn't face any outage yet.

11. I never faced wifi issues with any of my devices with previous routers. All of them worked with default setup.

From the above steps WiFi has been a big issue to get it working and remaining enabled consistently.

Can someone please advise the remediation steps around wifi? If you need me to send any logs kindly let me know what logs and i can research and send it over. While Mikrotik and RouterOS is quite new to me if you could please give me the command i can try running through the terminal mode in admin page and send it over.

Are these known WiFI issues with this router model or did I get a defective device? Would a subsequent update or firmware upgrade resolve these issues?

Hoping someone can help

Thanks.

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: hap ac2 wifi issues

Wed May 20, 2020 11:31 pm

Can you clarify: is it a WLAN issue or WiFi issue?

mubh
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 11:46 pm

Can you clarify: is it a WLAN issue or WiFi issue?
I think it is WLAN issue, is there any way I can check or troubleshoot some basic steps? I just tried to connect two of my printers using wifi and they failed to connect as well. So bulk of my issue is related to not being able to use WiFi in any of my devices except for one.

Is there a way i can completely erase all previously created ssid's from the router and all my devices and create afresh, possibly with same name or a new name altogether if that will resolve the issue for good? Or do I need to do a factory reset of the router and start all over again.

Thanks in advance.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 21, 2020 12:05 am

Your best bet is to hook up the router to your PC directly.
No internet no wifi nothing, and reset the router to defaults.
Trying to recover a botched config is worse than starting from scratch.

Then come back and ask for the steps you need next, based on your requirements
How many Lans,
How many wlans and type
One group of users or more
Segregate any smart devices etc...

Once we have an appreciation of your needs we can advise on a conceptual configuration and then you get to play.
Best thing ever is safe mode top left of winbox which always lets you recover to the last step you made before you made a change to the router, otherwise its no fun at all.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 21, 2020 12:41 am

I think a mismatch of security protocols, ie. WPA etc.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

mubh
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2020 5:22 am

Your best bet is to hook up the router to your PC directly.
No internet no wifi nothing, and reset the router to defaults.
Trying to recover a botched config is worse than starting from scratch.

Then come back and ask for the steps you need next, based on your requirements
How many Lans,
How many wlans and type
One group of users or more
Segregate any smart devices etc...

Once we have an appreciation of your needs we can advise on a conceptual configuration and then you get to play.
Best thing ever is safe mode top left of winbox which always lets you recover to the last step you made before you made a change to the router, otherwise its no fun at all.
I was able to connect router to PC and it worked fine.

Main issue is getting to connect devices using WiFi. I keep getting connection drops on some of the devices that actually connects while the other two devices are not connecting. I will have to try resetting network settings in iPhone and see if it will fix the issue. I had Smart TV connected using ETH cable which was working fine with chromecast and all of a sudden it failed to recognize wireless settings for chromecast giving the message "Restart router or use another network". It is not working now with either ETH or WiFi.

I have the following requirements:
Users: 2
Smart Devices: 4 phones, two tabs, two printers, one Smart TV
PC's: 2 Win laptops, 1 Mac mini

Router admin page shows two wlan connections - wlan1 (2GHz), wlan2 (5GHz)

I hope i have given the right information based on your questions.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help. Please let me know if you need any other logs or settings from router.

AllexRo

Thu May 21, 2020 11:44 am

Maybe exporting configuration an posting it here might better help.

To do that, go to New Terminal and input these 2 commands:
/interface wireless
export hide-sensitive

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 21, 2020 1:30 pm

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

mubh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 22, 2020 1:51 am

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish
Attaching wireless settings.

Just wanted to update - After i launched winbox as per your suggestion in Quick Settings I found my original wifi setting was set as WISP AP. I changed it to Home AP dual thinking that might be more appropriate.

Also what i observed in the past couple of days whenever i launch winbox or webfig one or more of my devices get disconnected from WiFi and they stop working. Even today when i just ran the two commands to get the config settings caused one device to lose wifi and didn't connect since then. Is there a good practice of rebooting router after launching admin console irrespective of whether any change was done or not or is that how RouterOS works?

Please let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 22, 2020 3:45 am

I prefer WISP AP but home dual should work also.

(1) Remove this it only causes issues, not needed.
/interface detect-internet
set detect-interface-list=all

(2) The following rule is incongruent with the rest of the config ...........
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment=defconf interface=ether2 network=\
and should match this
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp disabled=no interface=bridge name=defconf

(3) UPNP is generally not recommended what do you use that requires it ???
/ip upnp interfaces
add interface=bridge type=internal
add interface=ether1 type=external

(4) Not required normally and more secure to turn off
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=LAN

mubh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 22, 2020 5:23 am

I prefer WISP AP but home dual should work also.

(1) Remove this it only causes issues, not needed.
/interface detect-internet
set detect-interface-list=all

(2) The following rule is incongruent with the rest of the config ...........
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment=defconf interface=ether2 network=\
and should match this
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp disabled=no interface=bridge name=defconf

(3) UPNP is generally not recommended what do you use that requires it ???
/ip upnp interfaces
add interface=bridge type=internal
add interface=ether1 type=external

(4) Not required normally and more secure to turn off
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
All of those settings came when i configured the router for first time using Android app, i went with the default setup but did not notice it was WISP AP, so maybe these came in with that profile?

Sorry if i sound dumb, since this is the first time i'm getting used to RouterOS I am not sure if what i did was correct.

For detect-interface-list i did this -> [admin@MikroTik] /interface detect-internet> set detect-interface-list none
and i got this in print ->
detect-interface-list: none
lan-interface-list: none
wan-interface-list: none
internet-interface-list: none

As I was not very sure, i did not proceed with the remaining 3 points, so if you could please guide me it would be quite helpful. Also after making the first change i took config dump and it's a pretty small file now compared to earlier, not sure if i messed up anything :(

If you think resetting and starting with fresh config will make things easier i could try that over the weekend.

Thanks for your patience and help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mubh
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 am

I just stumbled upon DHCP lease settings with a timeout of 10 mins and some of the devices expiring in few mins. Not sure if this is the reason why devices are losing wifi after some time and not able to connect after. I did not set it up this way and wondering if it came with default setup for WISP AP. Same thing about uPNP settings.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 22, 2020 1:28 pm

No worries, nothing wrong with WISP or Home Dual as that is only the default setting of the router.
As long as we then modify the config from the ios app or winbox it should be fine.

what is that other attachment, a separate wifi device??
or you just wanted to show me the wifi settings?
What is the purpose of this rule: /interface wireless access-list
add interface=wlan2 mac-address=80:58:F8:84:49:2F

I think you can get rid of it, if you didnt put that in there.

Also I dont see a name for your wlans??
Here is a typical wireless settting.
interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-g/n basic-rates-b="" country=canada \
disabled=no distance=indoors installation=indoor mac-address=\
CC: mode=ap-bridge name=Devices rate-set=configured \
scan-list=2412,2437,2462 security-profile=devices_only ssid=RD9 \
supported-rates-b="" wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled \
wps-mode=disabled

See the diff...
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX \
disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=\
ap-bridge ????????????? security-profile=MyProfile ssid=chinna wireless-protocol=802.11

mubh
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 3:02 am

No worries, nothing wrong with WISP or Home Dual as that is only the default setting of the router.
As long as we then modify the config from the ios app or winbox it should be fine.

what is that other attachment, a separate wifi device??
or you just wanted to show me the wifi settings?
I just wanted to show the new wifi settings after i disabled detect-interface-list setting
What is the purpose of this rule: /interface wireless access-list
add interface=wlan2 mac-address=80:58:F8:84:49:2F

I think you can get rid of it, if you didnt put that in there.
I did not add it explicitly. Those are the wireless clients connected to my network and it gets picked up automatically.
Also I dont see a name for your wlans??
Here is a typical wireless settting.
interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-g/n basic-rates-b="" country=canada \
disabled=no distance=indoors installation=indoor mac-address=\
CC: mode=ap-bridge name=Devices rate-set=configured \
scan-list=2412,2437,2462 security-profile=devices_only ssid=RD9 \
supported-rates-b="" wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled \
wps-mode=disabled

See the diff...
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX \
disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=\
ap-bridge ????????????? security-profile=MyProfile ssid=chinna wireless-protocol=802.11
I did not see any option to name my wlans during the initial config. Can i add it now? If so, can you please tell from which screen in winbox i can add the name?

Regarding the 4 options you had recommended in your earlier post i am attaching screenshots related to those points. The ones that are highlighted in red in the screenshots, can i disable/remove them? Specifically the following:

Bridge interface in Interface list,
Interface-List.png
Completely disabling DHCP Server and DHCP client,
DHCP-Server.png
DHCP-Client.png
Disabling uPnP,
uPnP.png
Disabling Firewall Router, DHCP Server, NAT, UPnP in HomeAP. Should i also try changing country to united states from united states3 or maybe change frequency for 2Ghz or 5Ghz?'
HomeAP.png
Also is it recommended to restart the router after any change is applied in webfix/winbox?

Please advise. Thank you.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 23, 2020 5:49 am

Arggg, I am saying dont touch or use quickset settings............
Just reset the router to defaults select home dual AP in quickset and then leave quickset and then use winbox from then on...........

mubh
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2020 1:21 am

Arggg, I am saying dont touch or use quickset settings............
Just reset the router to defaults select home dual AP in quickset and then leave quickset and then use winbox from then on...........
Ok, I will try that route. Thanks for your help.