Community discussions

MikroTik App

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

The extra packages in RouterOS

Sat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm

I've a new CRS326 switch with just the RouterOS installed (no other packages installed).
Recently I got also another switch, a used CRS125. There are more packages installed:
[admin2@CRS125] /system package> print 
Flags: X - disabled 
 #   NAME                                                                        VERSION          SCHEDULED
 0   routeros-mipsbe                                                             6.46.6
 1   system                                                                      6.46.6
 2 X ipv6                                                                        6.46.6
 3   wireless                                                                    6.46.6
 4   hotspot                                                                     6.46.6
 5   mpls                                                                        6.46.6
 6   routing                                                                     6.46.6
 7   ppp                                                                         6.46.6
 8   dhcp                                                                        6.46.6
 9   security                                                                    6.46.6
10   advanced-tools                                                              6.46.6
Questions:
1) I think currently I only need just the basic RouterOS package. If I uninstall the other packages, how would I install them later if needed?
2) What tools are in the "advanced-tools" package"?
3) What kind of security does the "security" package offer?
4) What is in the package "system"? Is it optional?
5) What about the "routing" package? Is this an extra/advanced routing stuff?
6) Surely there must be some documentation of/about these packages. Can someone kindly tell me the link? Thx

jvanhambelgium
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: The extra packages in RouterOS  [SOLVED]

Sat May 23, 2020 12:43 pm

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: The extra packages in RouterOS

Sat May 23, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks, this explains it all, indeed.

A related question: What does the following from the above link do? I assume it downgrades to the previous version. Is it also possible to specify the version to downgrade to?
/system package downgrade; /system reboot;

Btw, on my CRS326 switch the "system" package is not installed. It seems necessary(?) only if the device is a router, or in router mode.
Last edited by mutluit on Sat May 23, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jvanhambelgium
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Don't think you can specify a specific version. Just upgrade (to the latest) or downgrade (to previous) within the channel chosen (eg. stable/long-term/...) (and I'm not even sure on the channel-flag)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm

When you put package files into proper place in device and reboot device, it will instal packages ... if extra packages versions match system package ... or if new system package version is newer than currently installed. If you want to install older version, you have to run /system package downgrade - which simply disables safeguard against downgrading.

IIRC changing release channel allows downgrading without playing abovementioned games.
BR,
Metod

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Don't think you can specify a specific version. Just upgrade (to the latest) or downgrade (to previous) within the channel chosen (eg. stable/long-term/...) (and I'm not even sure on the channel-flag)
Would the following method work to install a specific version: uploading the routeros.npk file to the Files directory and then rebooting the device ?

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 pm

When you put package files into proper place in device and reboot device, it will instal packages ... if extra packages versions match system package ... or if new system package version is newer than currently installed. If you want to install older version, you have to run /system package downgrade - which simply disables safeguard against downgrading.

IIRC changing release channel allows downgrading without playing abovementioned games.
So, can you confirm: do i need to do these steps for installing an older version from an .npk file? :
Step 1: /system package downgrade
Step 2: upload routeros.npk to Files directory
Step 3: reboot the device

And: how can I get which "channel" is active? I think this information is missing in the above link, isn't it?

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 2:58 pm

I have no DHCP server configured on the above said CRS125 device, so I want to disable the "dhcp" package,
but it doesn't work: it gets scheduled for disable, but after reboot it's still active. How come? What to do?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 23, 2020 4:05 pm

In current ROS there's bundle of packages which is what you get by downloading "Main package". You can not uninstall individual packages if installed with bundle, you can only disable them.
But you can "unbundle" ROS by installing different version of ROS, but taking necessary packages from ZIP downloaded as "extra packages". Bare minimum is "system" package. And there are some dependencies, security depends on dhcp (it's been explained why dependency, IIRC it has to do with IPsec, but I forgot the details). If you need neither DHCP server nor client, you can disable package (but has to be installed).
Note that with ROS v7, Mikrotik went away from packaged installation, currently you can only install bundle and there's no way of unbundling the installation.

You can check configured update channel by running /system package update print.

BTW, you can not downgrade to version lower than factory-software (displayed using /system resource print).
BR,
Metod

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 4:20 pm

In current ROS there's bundle of packages which is what you get by downloading "Main package". You can not uninstall individual packages if installed with bundle, you can only disable them.
But you can "unbundle" ROS by installing different version of ROS, but taking necessary packages from ZIP downloaded as "extra packages". Bare minimum is "system" package. And there are some dependencies, security depends on dhcp (it's been explained why dependency, IIRC it has to do with IPsec, but I forgot the details). If you need neither DHCP server nor client, you can disable package (but has to be installed).
I have been able to disable most of the packages, but some won't even disable, take a look:
/system package print 
Flags: X - disabled 
 #   NAME                                                                        VERSION        SCHEDULED              
 0   routeros-mipsbe                                                             6.46.6
 1   system                                                                      6.46.6
 2 X ipv6                                                                        6.46.6
 3 X wireless                                                                    6.46.6
 4 X hotspot                                                                     6.46.6
 5 X mpls                                                                        6.46.6
 6   routing                                                                     6.46.6
 7 X ppp                                                                         6.46.6
 8   dhcp                                                                        6.46.6
 9   security                                                                    6.46.6
10 X advanced-tools                                                              6.46.6
But Uninstalling these already Disabled packages is not possible: it gives an error saying "Couldn't perform action - can not uninstall bundled package (6)"
Is this a bug?

Note that with ROS v7, Mikrotik went away from packaged installation, currently you can only install bundle and there's no way of unbundling the installation.

You can check configured update channel by running /system package update print.

BTW, you can not downgrade to version lower than factory-software (displayed using /system resource print).
I want to install a version that is >= the factory-software version.
I put the .npk into the Files dir, and then rebooted the device, but it did not replace the current version with the given older version; it just deleted the .npk from the Files dir.
So, what are the correct steps to install an older version .npk?
Last edited by mutluit on Sat May 23, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 4:37 pm

To upgrade you can use the System > Packages window and click on "Check for Upgrades".
From there you can also change channels (stable, long-term, rc, dev)

If you want to downgrade to a specific version, then you have to upload the packages manually to the router and then from the System > Packages menu you click Downgrade.
Simply rebooting without clicking downgrade will do nothing.

When ROS sees packages uploaded, it will only try to upgrade and not downgrade after a reboot.
And only if the packages are the correct arch (obviously).

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 4:51 pm

If you want to downgrade to a specific version, then you have to upload the packages manually to the router and then from the System > Packages menu you click Downgrade.
Simply rebooting without clicking downgrade will do nothing.

When ROS sees packages uploaded, it will only try to upgrade and not downgrade after a reboot.
And only if the packages are the correct arch (obviously).
I tried both variants, but neither worked :-(
I think that even the standard downgrade function isn't working. I have currently this version installed:
/system package update print
channel: stable
installed-version: 6.46.6

To which version will it downgrade if one calls the normal downgrade function (ie. w/o supplying manually an .npk)?
I'll now try this, but I think I already tried, and it didn't function.

Update:
Like I said: even the standard downgrade function does not work, as the version is the same as before, after the reboot.
Last edited by mutluit on Sat May 23, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Discerning (astute) device, it does not like you! Has Mikrotik developed networking equipment similar to brooms in Harry Potter? ;-P
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Like I said: even the standard downgrade function does not work, as the version is the same as before, after the reboot.
Then you are doing something wrong.
Read the fine manual again and retry until you succeed.

Only with exercise you will learn how to properly use ROS.

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 6:18 pm

[admin2@CRS125] /ip service> /system package update print
[admin2@CRS125] /ip service> /system package downgrade; /system reboot;
Router will be rebooted. Continue? [y/N]:
y
system will reboot shortly
Reboot, yes? [y/N]:
Received disconnect from 192.168.128.253: 11: shutdown/reboot

And after reboot and new login:

[admin2@CRS125] > /system package update print

:-) Didn't work as can be seen.
Man, it seems another rocket science to downgrade this device :-)
IMO there is simply a bug in the downgrade function of this software. Logic & the countless tries with negative outcome today tells me :-)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Perhaps operator error--------- bug incurred during conception??
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 7:44 pm

[admin2@CRS125] /ip service> /system package update print
[admin2@CRS125] /ip service> /system package downgrade; /system reboot;
Router will be rebooted. Continue? [y/N]:
y
system will reboot shortly
Reboot, yes? [y/N]:
Received disconnect from 192.168.128.253: 11: shutdown/reboot

And after reboot and new login:

[admin2@CRS125] > /system package update print

:-) Didn't work as can be seen.
Man, it seems another rocket science to downgrade this device :-)
IMO there is simply a bug in the downgrade function of this software. Logic & the countless tries with negative outcome today tells me :-)
You post too much, you read too little. You have half my posts in 2 months and I've been here for 15 years.

RTFM and then come back with proper results.

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 pm

Does anybody else have a constructive contribution to make (ie. help, tips, hints) for this problem of downgrading to an older RouterOS version?

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat May 23, 2020 8:31 pm

You mean constructive, like telling you exactly how to downgrade and you ignoring it?

bpwl
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 pm

It's childs play. And there is no bug. Processes that are very old and are used daily usually don't contain bugs anymore.
As programmer you see bugs everywhere , like someone with a hammer sees nails everywhere.

Upload the needed npk to the files directory. Either in RAM (above /flash, the preferred place) or in a top directory in /flash.
Make sure it is the correct npk (hardware variant) and it is the only instance of that npk in the files directory.
The hardware variant selection can be confusing. For CRS125 its the MIPSBE variant. If you load the ARM variant of the CRS325 it will just be deleted.
Check the size of the uploaded npk to verify it is complete. (incomplete files will not install, if there are multiple (incomplete) files it will try one and possibly delete another. So it tries the bad one, fails, and then deletes the good one. Next upload same story.)viewtopic.php?f=8&t=161217&hilit=upgrade#p793778

If it is a higher version number : take upgrade. If it is a lower version number : take downgrade. (The channel does not matter in this. E.G. I like the 6.45.6 from the stable channel)

The only, very classical, hurdle in upgrading is that sometimes you need to do an intermediate upgrade step (to be able to upgrade the bootloader firmware).
(I think it was from 6.44 towards 7.0beta ..... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152531&hilit=upgrade#p752369)
I have never seen a case that needs an intermediate downgrade step.

mutluit
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2020 9:20 pm

@bpwl, thank you for your input. I already tried that all with unfortunately a negative result.
Yes, of course I used the right architecture (routeros-mipsbe-6.45.1.npk).
But ok, I'll try it now again anew.

OTOH, this thread initially was about the other packages (extra packages), on how to disable/uninstall them,
but then it drifted away to also to cover this very problem of RouterOS downgrading. I think I better should open a new thread and continue there.

Update:
Ok, the downgrade again didn't function, but now I got more information: it says the .npk file is damaged (I tried even 2 different .npk's !).
But let's continue this discussion in this new thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=161501&p=795455

bpwl
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 23, 2020 10:09 pm

How do you upload????

Download from the CRS125 and do a difference check. Check for multiple copies ! The new online download process does not show the npk in files !