Community discussions

MikroTik App

Atresta
just joined
Topic Author

Connection randomly drops, then refuses to reconnect

Sat May 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Hey fine people of this forum,

I have recently acquired a fine MikroTik and installed it in my house. My father played around with the settings a bit to make it all work and it has been working quite well. However, I have one issue: my Win10 laptop will disconnect after some time (maybe an hour or so) from the wifi signal, and then refuse to reconnect to it. The only way to connect it again is to reboot the MikroTik. This also happens whenever the laptop enters into sleep mode; once disconnected it refuses to reconnect. My phone, interestingly, does not experience the same issue.

I have already tried connecting to other wifi signals with my laptop. The issue does not replicate itself with any other wifi signal I have used.

Unfortunately I am completely new to fixing something network-related like this, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Is this a know issue? Should I just reset the device? Which of these tabs should I even be paying attention to?

Of course, if you need any additional information I'll happily provide it!

Thanks in advance!

bpwl
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Connection randomly drops, then refuses to reconnect

Sun May 24, 2020 1:03 am

Maybe the reason for the connection refusal is written in the log of the Mikrotik. It would we wise to check what is written there.
It is not clear yet if the root cause is at the WIN10 PC or at the Mikrotik. OK the Mikrotik reboot resets the situation, but maybe a reboot of the PC could do this as well.

The log and the "wireless" "registration" in the Mikrotik will learn if the PC did associate again or not, did get an IP address or not, .... .
The model of Mikrotik and the current version of installed software is important to look for known issues.

Atresta
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2020 5:03 am

Hey! I took me while wading through the menus, but I think I've gathered all the information that was suggested!

1. Rebooting my computer does not solve the connectivity issue. It persists as before the reboot.

2. I took a screenshot of off my phone with a bunch of logs that may or may not be pertinent to the issue. I am honestly having difficulty making heads or tails from it. If someone is able to do so, that would be a big help. Here is the screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/zXo4dXL.png

3. The Mikotik Model is: RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD. The current OS is v6.45.9 (long term) and the software ID I found is: AXZH-XUBS.

On a perhaps related note: I have noticed that sometimes my computer connects to the wlan1 and sometimes to the wlan2. Is this relevant at all or is it supposed to be doing that?

Thanks again for your time dear people of the MikroTik forums. I greatly appreciate any help and/or advice you can give me.

bpwl
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 31, 2020 10:55 am

Hey! I took me while wading through the menus, but I think I've gathered all the information that was suggested!

1. Rebooting my computer does not solve the connectivity issue. It persists as before the reboot.
OK. Interesting information. Less likely it is WIN10. But maybe forgetting the known wireless network is a stronger reset.
2. I took a screenshot of off my phone with a bunch of logs that may or may not be pertinent to the issue. I am honestly having difficulty making heads or tails from it. If someone is able to do so, that would be a big help. Here is the screenshot:
Yes the problem is described there. The client disconnects from WLAN1, and immediately reconnects, however it is not able to re-associate. (5 seconds later)
Klembord-2.jpg
The reason is not clear yet.
If we want to see more information on the wifi connect-disconnect process, you should extend the "/system logging" setting with topic "wireless" prefix "debug"

[/quote]
Klembord-3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zXo4dXL.png

3. The Mikotik Model is: RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD. The current OS is v6.45.9 (long term) and the software ID I found is: AXZH-XUBS.

On a perhaps related note: I have noticed that sometimes my computer connects to the wlan1 and sometimes to the wlan2. Is this relevant at all or is it supposed to be doing that?
The client device decides where to connect to, and when to change connections (roaming). If WLAN1 and WLAN2 have the same SSID then the PC is free to choose. It will normally choose the strongest one, but other saved information may also play a role. So if the signal or internet connection fluctuates it may roam to the other WLAN. If the security profile is different for those SSID's then there might be a problem is connecting. Limit the security profile to WPA2-PSK and AES only (no TKIP, no WPA), if possible for your client devices.

PS: screenshots in this forum. Capture the image you want, (easy in WIN10 ... "shift-Windows-S" and cut out the part you want, save it in a file like .jpg or other) , at the bottom of the post-editor is the possibility for attachments, and they can be placed inline. Preview the post to see.
Klembord-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Atresta
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2020 5:01 pm

1. I told Win10 to forget the network, but unfortunately no dice. Still refuses to connect.

2. I added the log rule as suggested. Here they are (again from my phone).
Log 2.png
Log 3.png
Log 4.png
3. I think the security profile was already limited to WPA2 PSK and AES.
Security Profile.jpg
Thanks for the tip on screenshots. Makes life easier!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 31, 2020 6:10 pm

Also your logs are in Winbox, saves screen area for this forum. (LOG is maintained in the Mikrotik until reboot)

The only thing I see is normal reconnects. (But one device in the access list, the others are default.) No refusal to reconnect.

The "unicast key exchange timeout" may be a problem that last longer than the reconnect. It looks as if your 2.4GHz band has a lot of interference. Did you check the channel usage, before picking channel 1,6 or 11? Tools "Freq usage", and "Wireless Snooper" will help "see" the environment you are in.

viewtopic.php?t=116480