Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pigsfoot
Topic Author

Wireless sniffing - Is this possible

Sat May 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi,

We currently use a RPI to sniff WiFi packets, all we collect is the MAC address, date & time stamp it, associate the data to a unique ID for location and send it to a cloud based server. To send the data to our cloud servers we use a RBM33 connected via ETH to the RPI

I've just been reading that the RB is capable of WiFi sniffing so i was wondering, if we swapped to something like a RB912 could we use that to connect to our cloud server and carry out the sniffing removing the need for the RPI and associated WiFi dongles, power, reduce the enclosure size etc..

I'm no developer but have read the WiKi on the sniffing module and can see it will stream the data. Unfortunately i don't have a RB handy that has WiFi and cellular or i'd test it straight away.

What i could do with knowing is what the data stream is like. As i mentioned, all i need is the MAC address, date, time and some kind of unique ID for this device as we would need to know which RB sent the data.

I don't want to involve anything like wireshark as our cloud system works as is and we have a fully operational system, i'm simply looking to see if there is a simpler way to do things by removing the RPI which means the data feed we receive will need to be pretty basic so we can extract the data we need.

Thanks in advance.

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Wireless sniffing - Is this possible

Sat May 23, 2020 5:54 pm

I believe that Wireless Sniffer uses the same protocol as Packet Sniffer to stream the data to a server. TZSP