Community discussions

MikroTik App

agnostic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

I consider ditch mikrotik

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:09 pm

As a mikrotik enthusiastic and network engineer since 2012 i have setup hundrends of clients with routerboards. I like mikrotik because it has all networking options to touch and configure. Well at 2020 i cant even make a simple pppoe bridge and some bugs which make some configurations to stop working after an upgrade made me to loose days and nights at hotels due to network down which make me consider moving to ubiquity. Less headache less pills at least no failures and everything works out of the box with least configuration. All these years i have invested over 10k euros on mikrotik products so far all good but it is impossible yet to bang my head on the wall because after an upgrade something stops working or because of a bug or change of default configuration. I'm too old for this shit.

CblP

Re: I consider ditch mikrotik

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:36 pm

surely it's not for the weak, so, are you with "team awsome", or with "team boresome"? You decide!
jokes aside, I feel you. been there. it's mikrotik. you know.

agnostic
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:59 pm

the point is i came from ubiquity to mikrotik after exploring my first rb750 with winbox. i try to use to all networking mikrotik products. as it seems there are some points where other brands qualify as it is wifi link quality and speed. mikrotik it is for building a network rack for routing and linking. every network engineer i know uses ubiquity for long distance links and mikrotik for cable connections and thats it but i dont i prefer mikrotik. one day i made the bullshit and pressed update (long term always) on one of my clients capsman controller with hotspot at a hotel. it never came back and i had 3 days and nights trying to find out WTF i had burned my brain. made new hotspot changing settings... and then i read here on forum other people had the same with that update. i downgraded and it came back after 3 days... i couldnt believe it was the update because you publish an update to solve problems not to create new ones. i am afraid to make updates to clients if it works i leave it alone it is not time for experiments.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Though my experience is only from home and relatives...I made the change from Ubiquiti to MikroTik (as well). And glad I did. The problems you run into corresponds with my Ubiquiti time: ran any firmware update (including testing) and was pretty disappointed. Never ran into these problems with MikroTik. I'm not saying their are no problems btw...

Make sure you read the release notes carefully before applying a firmware update. And test any update in a lab environment.

shiyiqiang08
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:44 pm

I don't know why, there are so many problems with the new version, so if the current version is OK, don't upgrade it. I think they have changed a group of people. The new software is too unstable.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:20 am

Hey there.

This year is my 21st year of working in computer networking professionally.

In this time, I have worked in depth with many vendors products, and I can tell you that the more in-depth you work with a variety of vendors products, the more you realize that no vendor is perfect. This is why I often go for "best of breed" rather than religiously sticking with a single vendor. Use the best product to achieve your desired outcome, stop trying to put square pegs into round holes.