Community discussions

MikroTik App

albercik
Topic Author

SXT LTE v2 looses sim card

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem with SXT LTE kit v2. In general, the device works flawlessly, the connection is stable and fast, but... from time to time the Internet goes down, and the interface status says "no sim card inserted". I can reboot it etc, but it won't help. I have to take a ladder, go to the roof, remove power, remove sim card, insert sim card back in, attach power (ethernet) and it starts to work.

There's no obvious reason for that behavior: it can happen on sunny, hot day, or during cold & rainy weather. Sometimes it works for a month without a problem, sometimes a week. I can shake it, throw it, smash it with a hammer (okay, maybe without the last one ;) ) - it will still work. And one it will loose the card again.

I think it has something to do with the poor sim card copper pads quality (they got rusty and re-inserting the card removes the rust from it), but is there anything I can do with it?

The problem is that the device is at my summer house and I'm here only during weekends, so if SXT will loose the sim card during a working-day - I'll lost monitoring (cameras, sensors, solar panels control etc.).

Any advise will be much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance,
Tom

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SXT LTE v2 looses sim card

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:41 pm

enable logs with topic=lte and share them.
You can use a office transparent tape to tape not-electrical site of simcard to do a better contact but I not have any that problems with SXTR.
Maybe try second slot ? or try clean surface of simcard ?
Do you try do usb power-reset ?

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:13 pm

RMA. I changed LtAP with defective SIM card port. A couple of time also lost Internet connection by the same reason until SIM port ended to dead.

Regards.

albercik
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi,

Thank you all for the replies. I've turned on lte logging to disk and swapped the sim card to another slot. I've also written a script that checks the status of a simcard (if it's present) and if not - it performs usb power reset. If the simcard won't be avalable after 1 minute - then it performs a full reboot of SXT.

So far so good, bu as I've mentioned before - it happens randomously. Sometimes after few days, sometimes after few weeks. I'll observe it for a month starting yesterday and I'll post a result (or logs if it will happen again).

Thank you and best regards
Tom

angriukas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:57 pm

Two times encountered loss of SIM card for "SXT 4G kit" device. It's interesting - reboot didn't help, still no SIM card. After Netinstall SIM card was recognized, later lost again.
Removed SIM, added again. Firmly press and hold, boot device - nothing helped. Already want to RMA device, but before that I have decided changed SIM slot.
No problems until now. If I remember correctly - SIM A was problematic. Very strange story...

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 pm

That a Mikrotik device looses SIM card connection it's NOT normal. Scripting probably can help to re-enable the connection but it not should why occur that. If the device have this strange behavior, simply RMA.

Regards.

albercik
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:10 pm

Unfortunately - my device is not under warranty anymore so RMA is not an option for me. As I stated before - I've moved the card to slot 2, so we'll see if it helps.

As @angriukas wrote - even reboot didn't help. We'll see if there will be any problem with the sim in second slot and if the usb power reset will help (but, if restarting the device is not helping then why the usb power reset would...?).

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:32 pm

Unfortunately - my device is not under warranty anymore so RMA is not an option for me. As I stated before - I've moved the card to slot 2, so we'll see if it helps.
So bad news :(.
Probably it is the 4th broken SIM card port posted here. It is worrying. :(

Good luck with your second SIM port!

Regards.

EVOLARE
just joined

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:23 pm

We have around 15 x SXT LTE Cat6 devices that have same issues. New SXT out of box, new 4G SIM card and after few weeks in operation it stops working showing "no sim card". Tried SIM2 slot but same issue after few weeks. SIM card is dead every time ih happens. Contacted mobile operator swapped to latest series SIM card s and same thing. Is there something we can as RMA is not option. We get new SXT devices that behave the same.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:06 pm

We have around 15 x SXT LTE Cat6 devices that have same issues. New SXT out of box, new 4G SIM card and after few weeks in operation it stops working showing "no sim card". Tried SIM2 slot but same issue after few weeks. SIM card is dead every time ih happens. Contacted mobile operator swapped to latest series SIM card s and same thing. Is there something we can as RMA is not option. We get new SXT devices that behave the same.
You MUST report that to MikroTik Support !
They can do investigation bcs. old SIM cards use differ Volt's but now this should be no problem, please write to Support !

jakubk2
just joined

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:58 am

Same issue here with RBSXTR&R11e-4G. This is super annoying as i have to climb up to the roof every time. really disappointing the quality of Mikrotik products lately.
Last edited by jakubk2 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobCat
just joined

Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:58 pm

I also been having this problem lately.

Usually happens on the very hot days.

Poor simcard design or sim port design.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:57 pm

Card dead or no contact ?

If no contact, could be simple physics.
The SIM slot has some tolerances. That's Mikrotik's responsibility.
The SIM card has some tolerances. That's for ... yeah, who ? Take your pick.
So no way to control this from A to Z.
Depending on material and temperatures, those tolerances will add up in such a way that you get contact almost all of the time. Yet sometimes not.

As indicated before (I have suggested it as well in the past in other threads) use some tape on the non-conductive side of the SIM card. The added thickness of the tape might just be sufficient.
Keep it a bit longer, makes it also easier to get the SIM out in future.
In most cases, this is all what's needed.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:38 am

First time I see post about temperature have impact on SIM slot.
But if you think it's that problem then try re-insert sim card, or clear sim card contacts with 'isopropyl alcohol' or tape a office tape on back site of sim card to get it thicker for better contact.

I know that LHGR have problems and even MikroTik do a second revision of simcard but the LHGGR use the old sim slot :( what means MikroTik not use fixed slot in new devices :(.
You should take logs/pictire and write to support@mikrotik.com because this is important to them know about your problem.

BobCat
just joined

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:03 am

I'm seeing this problem on my R11e-LTE.

It will work great until we have heatwaves and temperature hits 40'C mark.

I will try cleaning contacts with some alcohol, also will try other slot.

PS: Already tried the tape option.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:28 am

I'm seeing this problem on my R11e-LTE.
This is internal LTE unit, you probably write about SXTR who have R11e-LTE inside.
SXTR have TWO sim slots, try the second one maybe. In SXTR I never have problems with sim slot itself but with LHGR yes , a lot of times.

BobCat
just joined

Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:18 pm

Hi everybody.
Just want to let you know the SXT-LTE was faulty and i have replaced it with LHGG LTE6 kit.

The SXT-LTE does not even detect the lte interface anymore.

Think the device was doomed from the start.