Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Tried to upgrade to rOS 7 Beta8.
RB4011iGS+
CRS125-24G-1S
RBwAP2nDr2
RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

RBcAPGo-5acD2nD
RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD

The wAP AC and the cAP AC both became unreachable after upgrade.
I managed to reach the wAP via netinstall after multiple boots, installed ros7beta8 succesfully and it also booted up. But after next reboot it was unreachable again. Never got it to show up in netinstall again.
On both wAP and cAP ethernet LED blinks and network port auto-negotiates. But cannot reach it from winbox nor netinstall. LED behaves as expected when using the reset button, tried all reset-button function several times.
Are these devices doomed, or is there anything else I can try?

Hominidae

Re: cAPac and wAPac bricked?

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:49 am

...did you try the method using the on-board backup RouterBOOT firmware? -> https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RouterBOOT

nissandata
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Yes, did try this to.

To be clear, holding reset button during start (when connecting power) and releaseing it after 1-4 seconds, before the LED light starts flashing

Hominidae

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:04 pm

not quite sure what you are saying you did....I'd gather this would reset the config of the current (possibly not working firmware) only.
You*ll have to activate the (old), backup firmware that is also present in the board,
Read the extra "Note" below the instructions.

RouterBOARD reset button
RouterBOOT reset button has three functions:

Hold this button during boot time until LED light starts flashing, release the button to reset RouterOS configuration (total 5 seconds)
Keep holding for 5 more seconds, LED turns solid, release now to turn on CAPs mode (total 10 seconds)
Or Keep holding the button for 5 more seconds until until LED turns off, then release it to make the RouterBOARD look for Netinstall servers (total 15 seconds)
Icon-note.png

Note: If you hold the button before applying power, backup RouterBOOT will be used in addition to all the above actions. To do the above actions without loading the backup loader, push the button right after applying power to the device.

...so, whichever variant you choose...press - and keep holding down - the reset-button before applying the power to the device.
I had a similar situation once, when having my first encounter with the CAP-ac...did struggle as well, and had to try several times.
Maybe using the RooterBoot method, together with netinstall option is the safest one to make sure a stable version will end up on the device.

Cappy
just joined

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:57 am

Hmm. same problem? tried dropping routeros-7.1.2-arm.npk into the files area on my wAP AC, rebooted and it never came back. was on 6.47.9. I've tried holding the button in before power up and after power up... the nic just going up, down, up, down on my pc it's connected to.

help?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:27 am

I've tried holding the button in before power up and after power up... the nic just going up, down, up, down on my pc it's connected to.

netinstall is a pretty fragile process. There are a few things to look for when doing it, one is disabling all other network interfaces that might be present on the computer (including wireless and any VM hypervisor interface), the other is potentially adding a "dumb" switch or hub between computer and router because computers take some time to configure NIC after link comes back up (and might be too late to catch those BOOTP packets emitted by router).

By all means do try a few times, even the most skilled MT admins sometimes need more than single try to get it rolling :wink:

Cappy
just joined

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:18 pm

I guess the point is here for me anyway is that how can i connect to it if the nic constantly goes up and down?

Windows 10 pc, nothing special install (no type 2 hypervisors). And what does that get me? Ive never used net install. Do i need to have my dhcp server on my network pass along boot host and file name to run ? Historically i think that is option 66 and 67.

Honestly im about ready to buy a new one and keep it on 6.x. It shouldn’t be this hard.

Just frustrated. Thanks.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:44 pm

Netinstall binary is all-in-one: BOOTP server and can send commands to router in netinstall mode. The idea is to connect a PC directly[*] to ether1 port of device, then force device into etherboot mode (usually this means pressing reset button before applying power and keeping pressing it until device appears in netinstall list of devices .... about 10-20 seconds after power-up ... and it's only too easy to release the button momentarily during that time which ruins your effort and you have to repeat). Before starting with procedure, the PC needs static IP setup.

[*] if PC doesn't seem to handle well the link up/down transitions, then use a switch/hub in between. But never the less, these two devices should be the only ones connected.

It's all well described in netinstall manual, but you really have to follow it to the point.

Cappy
just joined

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:22 am

ok.. i found the netinstall instructions for the wapac "Or Keep holding the button for 5 more seconds until LED turns off, then release it to make the RouterBOARD look for Netinstall servers (total 15 seconds).".. i did hold the button for 15s..saw the light go out and released it......this was all after following the netinstall manual link above..i gave my nic and IP/mask, enabled netbooting, gave the client ip the next host address up... it never shows up in the netinstall tool. i tried in eth1 and eth2..though i read it has to be eth1.. Additional steps.. killed the windows firewall... disabled the wifi nic.. and there were no other active nics.

i'm getting activity flashes on the AP...and it isn't bouncing up and down when i try to put it in this mode, like it is when i just let it boot outright.

so..i'm at a loss. did dropping 7.x in the file window and rebooting it just destroy it? normally i see that process just upgrade and reboot the AP.. then i bump the routerboard firmware...

not sure what's going on...ideas?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:38 am

As I wrote:
... this means pressing reset button before applying power and keeping pressing it until device appears in netinstall list of devices .... about 10-20 seconds after power-up ... and it's only too easy to release the button momentarily during that time which ruins your effort and you have to repeat ...

I should add ... inadvertently. And perhaps: if the reset button actually works.

Last time I was performing netinstall on my RB951G (a week ago, so my memory is still fresh :wink:) I was using a small flat screwdriver (the one that can be used to fasten screws on spectacles) to press the reset button. It didn't work (not sure why). Then I used a phillips screwdriver to short the reset pads on the board (the spot is accessible on RB951G without need to open the case) which on RB951G is same as pressing reset button and this time the unit switched into etherboot mode. I have two devices of same type, the trick with pressing reset button worked on the other unit.

Cappy
just joined

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:41 am

i appreciate what you are saying and i've reset sxt units a lot. the button on this WAP AC is easily pressed.. i've seriously tried this about 15 times.. i can feel the micro switch go in an out and i'm about 99.9% sure i have this thing pressed.. i've counted to 15, 20, and i've watched the lights.. it has two.. the blue one i assume indicates power. The green comes on solid for 5s, flashes for 5s, then goes solid for 5s....then it goes off. this is when i release it...nothing shows up in the window on the netinstall.. i'm going to wireshark the interface.. i should see a dhcp 255.255.255.255 request right? then a response.. i'll also try a switch to your point earlier. this could have something to do with win10.. and something i'm not thinking of. or the dell laptop nic hw. who the hell knows! lol. (truth be told i've ordered another one....then i'm going to introduce this one to my 9mm if i can't figure it out... lol)

Cappy
just joined

Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:56 pm

Solved! I did two things. First i forgot that i had 'trend micro' security turned on. It was likely blocking communication. and If that wasn't it, your recommendation about plugging it into a switch was the second thing i changed. regardless. It works! thanks for being patient with me!