Community discussions

MikroTik App

Maggus
just joined
Topic Author

Improve my set-up (extend WiFi and host a server)

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:06 am

Hello,

I have a mostly out of the box set-up with two MikroTik hAP lite devices and a router. It looks something like this

ISP ===> Router in the attic ===> hAP lite 1 (office) ===> hAP lite 2 (living room)

Router connects to hAP 1 via cable (to eth1). hAP 1 connects to hAP 2 via super long cable (eth2 to eth1).
hAP1 and hAP2 both have WiFi, but they are separate networks with different SSID. There are also wired devices connected to both. The main PC is connected to hAP 1.

I need to do two things:
1. Configure the two hAPs to broadcast the same WiFi network
2. Make the web server on my main PC accessible from outside (I want to host a Foundry VTT game)

The first one is a quality of life thing, the other is the reason I really need help. I tried googling around, but I was defeated. I'll greatly appreciate any help I can get.

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Improve my set-up (extend WiFi and host a server)

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 pm

ISP ===> Router in the attic ===> hAP lite 1 (office) ===> hAP lite 2 (living room)

2. Make the web server on my main PC accessible from outside (I want to host a Foundry VTT game)
For the above you need to find out the port number(s) (0 to 65535) and their protocol (tcp, udp etc.) [ie. in your case mostly port 80 and 443 tcp for web server]
and do port-forwarding on the first router either to the hAP1 or directly to the destination. Forwarding directly to the destination PC is simpler to config. Otherwise you would need another forward on the hAP1 etc.

Btw, on your inner routers (hAP1 and hAP2) you better should disable NAT, since the first router already does NAT by default.

bpwl
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Improve my set-up (extend WiFi and host a server)

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:50 pm

I assume you use the hAP Lite with the default AP configuration.
In that case the ether1 is the WAN link (with NAT enabled and Firewall protected) , the hAP Lite has a DHCP server , and the other ether ports and wifi are the LAN side of the configuration.

To be lazy and do a fast test. Avoid the use of the ether1 port. Then all ports are on the LAN side and directly connected via the bridge.
However now we have 3 DHCP servers: ISP router/ hAP 1 / hAP 2. There should be only one DHCP server in the LAN. So you can disable the DHCP servers on hAP 1 and hAP2.
Put a DHCP client on the bridge in hAP1 and hAP2 , or assign a different static IP address to the bridge.
The wifi SSID can be set equal. (It is the same LAN network. All devices will communicate in this unified network.)

The WAN characteristics will not be used. So NAT and firewall protection is not used.
(You can always decide to still use the hAP1 in the original way, with the WAN link ether1 on the hAP1 and DHCP server, to be fully separated and FW protected from the ISP router)

Well if you need the extra ether1, then you should clean up the config, and add the ether1 to the bridge (the DHCP client on ether1 will be disabled, and the WAN interface list will be overruled by the LAN interface list of the bridge, as the ether1 now is also a "slave" interface of the bridge)