Community discussions

MikroTik App

armpogart
just joined
Topic Author

IP Cloud problems (dns not working, public address working)

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:44 pm

I have a MikroTik router in local network with PPTP and L2TP server setup which is working fine in local network. MikroTik and clients are currently behind ISP router which connects to internet with PPOE connection. The ISP assigns public ip dynamically. The MikroTik's wan ip is setup as DMZ host under ISP router.

When I active IP/Cloud feature in Mikrotik under Public Address it shows correct ip address (currently assigned to ISP router) and it gives a DNS name to me. When I try to PPTP to current public address everything works, but if I try PPTP using DNS name assigned I can't connect. While using DNS name I don't see anything MikroTIk logs. I can't understand how current public address is working but dns name is not working. If current public address works it means that ISP is not blocking anything and DMZ host on ISP router is forwarding everything correctly, then how it is possible for the dns name not to work.

Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IP Cloud problems (dns not working, public address working)  [SOLVED]

Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Am I missing something?
First of all, try to just ping the DNS name from the client machine, or use nslookup your.dns.name / dig your.dns.name / put [resolve your.dns.name] depending on what the client machine is. It seems the DNS is not working properly, or you have a typo in the dns name on the VPN client configuration.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

armpogart
just joined
Topic Author

Re: IP Cloud problems (dns not working, public address working)

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:15 am

Yep, it was a problem with my DNS resolution. I have local DNS proxy (Acrylic DNS Proxy) and as soon as I have restarted it and flushed Windows DNS cache everything worked.
Sorry and Thanks.