Community discussions

MikroTik App

mixmixmix
just joined
Topic Author

mAP2nD factory reset, cannot access

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:43 pm

I'm trying to set up mAP2nD as an access point. In the quick start guide (https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAP2nD#fndtn-downloads) it says that "Wireless AP mode is enabled by default, you can connect to the SSID “MikroTik”.
That is not the case.
I connected via Eth2 port, but my computer doesn't get assigned IP address. I tried to set up a static IP but I still couldn't access 192.168.88.1.

I did manage to get this to work a few times in the past through restarting multiple times and holding reset button for various amount of time. Again, according to the quick start guide:
"RouterBOOT reset button has the following functions:
• Hold this button during boot time until LED light starts flashing, release the button to reset RouterOS configuration (total 5 seconds).
• Keep holding for 5 more seconds, LED turns solid, release now to turn on CAP mode. The device will now look for a CAPsMAN server (total 10 seconds).
• Or Keep holding the button for 5 more seconds until LED turns off, then release it to make the RouterBOARD look for Netinstall servers (total 15 seconds).
Regardless of the above option used, the system will load the backup RouterBOOT loader if the button is pressed before power is applied to the device. Useful for RouterBOOT debugging and recovery."

In reality though when I connect power while holding the button,
- for first 7 seconds only PWR and USR LEDs are lit up, (7s)
- next USR keeps flashing for 5 seconds and then stays lit (12s total)
- then AP/CAP keeps flashing for 10s (22s) and then both AP/CAP and USR turns off.

I would like to know how to do a factory reset so that the AP behaves in the way described in the quick start guide. If there is any documentation of this device (apart from generic routerOS one) that would also be helpful.

Thanks!

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: mAP2nD factory reset, cannot access

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:26 pm

First question: Do you see the Wifi SSID of your Mikrotik device or not? If so can you connect to it?
If not, then maybe you set the device in wrong mode (CAPS mode?).
You must hold the reset button only until LED flashes and then release it ( a bit more than 5 seconds!)
If you hold it longer then you enter wrong mode.

Once that done (you released reset button), let the device do its setup and wait until you see the SSID (might take a minute or two).

If this does not work, search for "NETINSTALL" on Mirkotik Wiki page and download the netinstall application.

mixmixmix
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Thanks for a quick response WeWi.
The AP doesn't show any wireless network. I tried what you described but I do not have any led marked "LED". The first one that flashes is marked "USR" and when I release when it is flashing it still doesn't work.

I googled NETINSTALL, it seem to be some sort of windows tool. Is Mikrotik a windows-only company? I can borrow a windows device, but I would prefer to be able to reset it without it.

Most of hardware companies provide a "factory reset" button. Is there a good reason for Mikrotik not to have this option?

mixmixmix
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:20 pm

I connected the device under a home router which gave it IP and allowed to be detected on the wired network. It appears device was "stuck" in CAP mode. I will re-iterate my question - is factory reset possible without a Windows computer?

Labora
just joined

Mon May 22, 2023 11:07 pm

Lots of contradicting information on the web and so I ended up here...

So: yes, press and hold reset, power up and after a bit more than 5 seconds, at blinking LED, release as mentioned here. No Windows required.

With an "internet cable" in ETH1 and a Linux workstation cable in ETH2 it should work. Workstation should accept and process DHCP offer of mAP2nD. In that case ping IP and ping domain should work after mAP2nD is ready. A web-browser with address 192.168.88.1 offers a web interface.