Community discussions

MikroTik App

browntrch
just joined
Topic Author

CRS305-1G-4S+in and Telus GPON SFP+

Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:17 pm

I am super new here so sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot.

I am on Telus (a ISP located in Western Canada) they are providing GPON Service with a SFP+ module. Lots of network savvy folks have been documenting there experiences all over. More info about the Nokia SFP+ module (which is provided by the ISP) is documented on this DSL Reports post https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32052 ... FP-install.

However, the SFP+ module only syncs at 2.5G and the router I am using has 1G and 10G support only. I am attempting to use the CRS305-1G-4S+in to connect with the Telus network via SFP+ at 2.5G and then connect to my router at 10G so I can get more than 1G speeds.

Anyone have tips on how I could achieve this? Thus far, I have disabled all speeds except 2.5G on auto negotiation on that port. However, I can only force 1G or 10G on the switch. When I do this it does not seem to connect with the SFP+ module. Additionally, if there is any information I can provide please let me know.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: CRS305-1G-4S+in and Telus GPON SFP+

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:52 am

Firstly, the CRS is not a router, it is a switch by design and not sure you are going to get your full speed unless in a switched config.
Secondly, IIRC, Mikrotikdoes not support GPoN SFP interfaces, so my suggestion will be:
Connect the GPoN fiber to the ISP supplied Nokia, configure Nokia in a "Bridge" mode.
Then connect your router to the Nokia device and finally your CRS to your router as access switch

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:55 am

Secondly, IIRC, Mikrotikdoes not support GPoN SFP interfaces, so my suggestion will be:
@CZFan
RouterOS v 6.47.1 now provides support for GPON running in SFP(+) Cages ... this has been tested on the RB4011 using the HUAWEI MA5671A as evidenced in the following post.

@browntrch ,,,, MikroTik SFP and SFP+ cannot sync at 2.5 Gbps... only @ 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps.

Wmillo

Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:16 pm

@browntrch ,,,, MikroTik SFP and SFP+ cannot sync at 2.5 Gbps... only @ 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps.
[/quote]
I wanted to reopen the tread and ask if there are updates: Can SFP+ sync at 2.5 Gbps with Gpon module ? Thx

micronixsolutions
just joined

Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:20 am

Same here.
I have Google Fiber 2.5Gbps service and they provide a sfp+ fiber optic gpon that's normally inserted into their router, but I've taken that out and I have it inside the sfp+ port of a mikrotik rb5009 router.

The rb5009 sfp+ port seems to only be able to negotiate a connection at 1G, and not 2.5G.
I haven't found a way to force it to sync at 2.5G. But otherwise it works great, only at 1G speeds.