Community discussions

MikroTik App

mattlach
just joined
Topic Author

SwOS Update Broke SFP+ Compatibility on CRS305-1G-4S+

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:40 am

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my CRS305-1G-4S+ to SwOS 2.12. Prior to the upgrade my SFP-GE-T 1000BaseT SFP modules were working perfectly.

They continue to work perfectly on my CRS317-1G-16S+ even on 2.12.

After upgrading to 2.12 - however - I can no longer get a link on them on the little CRS305 switch. The switch still correctly identifies the modules under the SFP tab, but plugging in a cable to them, no link is ever established.

If I move the same SFP module over to my big CRS317 it works just fine.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

Are they just finicky with third party SFP modules? Would I have better luck with the MikroTik branded ones?

Appreciate any help,
Matt

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: SwOS Update Broke SFP+ Compatibility on CRS305-1G-4S+

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:44 am

Can you see if disabling all flow control on the interfaces helps? 2.12 has an issue where flow control is not working correctly and can cause some links to remain "stuck" with pause frames.

mattlach
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:51 am

Can you see if disabling all flow control on the interfaces helps? 2.12 has an issue where flow control is not working correctly and can cause some links to remain "stuck" with pause frames.
Thank you. I will try that, and report back.

Strange that it doesn't do the same thing on my CRS317, if that is the case though.

mattlach
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:37 pm

My apologies, I got sucked into another project and haven't had the time to spend troubleshooting this one until now.

I do have an update though. At first I thought that only my little switch was affected, and that all the other switches were working fine.

Since then I have realized that I initially mischaracterized the problem. I thought that the copper SFP+ adapter just werren't working, but it was more complicated than that.

SFP+ modules plugged in prior to the firmware update still work on all switches.

SFP+ modules plugged in after the firmware upgrade do not work.

I have not tried removing a module and plugging it back in again to see if it still works, as I cannot lose that link at this time.

I will try the disabling of the flow control as suggested above, as soon as I have a chance.

Any other suggestions are most welcomed.

Thanks,
Matt

ManuEvans

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 am

I suspect I may be experiencing this issue too.
I just upgraded to SWOS 2.13 from something older, and now when in plug a new SFP it doesn't work.
My SFP is a bit exotic; It's a Ubiquiti UFiber-Instant (GPON ONU), but I've tested it in my 'Tik gear and never had any problems with it.
I may not have plugged it into this CRS305 before, but I'd be surprised for this one-off compatibility issue (works in RB5009, hEX-S, plus lots of other vendors gear).
I see the switch does note something's plugged in, but the details on the SFP tab look odd:
Vendor: [blank]
Part Number: U
Revision: 4
Serial: [blank]
So I guess that's the problem right there... but what's that about? I swapped it with another known working device, same problem, and both modules work in all other equipment I've tried.

mspencerl87
just joined

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:30 pm

SMH, just came and posted viewtopic.php?t=179672
Noticed after I submitted yours was right under mine..
I guess this means, we'll have to buy new SFP modules.. or hope its fixed in 2.14.. :(

Runage7
just joined

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:23 pm

¿Any news? I'm in 2.12 now but I'm scared to move to another version. :(

mgomulkiewicz
just joined

Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:21 pm

I have CRS 305 with firmware 2.13 (I'm using SwitchOS, not sure if that matters). I have a bunch of known working 1Gb SFPs, both fibre (Finisar's) and copper (HP's). Those were not working from the start (modules correctly detected, no link, no activity), but:

When I disabled autonegotiation on one port, and set up parameters manually, both copper and fibre modules (on that port) started to work. And now: when I enabled on this port again autonegotiation again, copper modules stopped to work, but fibre modules still work correctly (and on any port!).

YMMV.

rajkosto
just joined

Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:15 am

Have you tried forcing the link speed to 1G on them, then rebooting the SwOS, then setting it back to autonegotiate ? that makes my no-name 1G RJ45 SFP modules work on this cursed switch.