Community discussions

MikroTik App

stocky789
just joined
Topic Author

The Dude - Confusion

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 am

Hey guys,

I'm very confused about The Dude and I am trying to wrap my head around it from a central management perspective.

I envisioned The Dude to be installed on a server/windows and then inside the routers tell them where the dude server is and have them lock onto the central server as a device so you can see it however turns out I am completely misunderstanding what it is.
So now I can tell that with the dude installed i connect to a router directly to it and I can see the networks/devices inside that router however that seems to be a more on demand way of monitoring a customer base since you'd still have to rely on another site file in order to find that exact routers address (thats if you can even reach them remotely, I am unsure). I was hoping to have a central application where all my customers devices are listed and I can see if they are online or offline.

I guess essentially what I want to achieve with the dude is an ACS type setup. On that note if anyone could recommend some good ACS options for the mikrotik that would be great

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: The Dude - Confusion

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 am

I usually do this with a VPN to my server. Then, as long as the remote router has access to the internet, I can see them online and connect to them, even if they put the router behind NAT

Dude itself is on-demand monitoring (server has to see clients and sends them requests, clients respond). Good thing is, that client (any mikrotik router) can act as an "agent" and faciliate communication between Dude and any device on the remote site, even if the target device is not directly visible by Dude.