Community discussions

MikroTik App

andresq
just joined
Topic Author

tp-link extender not connecting to hAP ac lite

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi,

At home I have a hAP ac lite connected to my broadband modem. All devices connect to the hAP and none to the modem-router directly (I disabled the wifi interfaces in it). It works fine and devices (laptops, phones, etc) have internet with no problems.

I have a TP-Link wireless extender (model TL-WA850RE) that I setup, configure it to connect to my current hAP wifi to extend, but it fails to connect. Tailing the logs from the router, I see no connection established from this extender (even with wireless debug logs enabled) to mikrotik.

The strange thing is that if I configure the extender to connect to the modem-router directly, it works fine, so it seems like there is a configuration in the hAP router that is preventing the extender from connecting correctly.

I tried setting a fixed IP for the extender, disabling wifi security to rule out authentication problems, and none of it failed.

Any hints on which configuration I can check or which logs to enable to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: tp-link extender not connecting to hAP ac lite

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:28 pm

Perhaps you can share your configuration?

/interface wireless export hide-sensitive

And how is WiFi configured on the modem/router?

andresq
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:42 pm

# sep/28/2020 10:33:15 by RouterOS 6.46.7
# software id = A8NY-0LCN
#
# model = RB952Ui-5ac2nD
# serial number = CC400B1428FB
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] antenna-gain=0 band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX country=argentina disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=2437 frequency-mode=\
    manual-txpower installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik-2 station-roaming=enabled wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] antenna-gain=0 band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=argentina disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto \
    frequency-mode=manual-txpower installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik-5 station-roaming=enabled wireless-protocol=802.11
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk group-key-update=1h mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface wireless access-list
add authentication=no comment="compu 1" disabled=yes interface=wlan1 mac-address=38:DE:AD:6B:B1:24 vlan-mode=no-tag
add authentication=no comment="compu 2" disabled=yes interface=wlan1 mac-address=A0:D3:7A:09:DF:08 vlan-mode=no-tag
add authentication=no comment="celu 1" disabled=yes interface=wlan1 mac-address=94:2D:DC:93:FD:BE vlan-mode=no-tag
add authentication=no comment="celu 2" disabled=yes interface=wlan1 mac-address=94:2D:DC:93:FF:98 vlan-mode=no-tag
add interface=wlan1 vlan-mode=no-tag
The last 5 lines I added my kids devices as access lists so I can enable/disable internet for them on demand.

On the modem/router the wifi is currently disabled, I just re-enabled it to test the repeater. The configuration is the default by the ISP, I logged in to it but didn't see anything unusual.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:37 pm

How do you connect/select in the TP-link the SSID on the hAP ac Lite to connect to? Scanning for SSID? Using the WPS button ?

On the hAP ac Lite enable logging for wireless.

/system logging
add action=memory topics=wireless

andresq
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:38 pm

I connect to the extender wifi, make it scan for SSID and then choose the hap one.

This are the logs relative to the extender:
12:33:15 wireless,debug wlan1: 9E:DE:D0:72:48:BB attempts to associate 
12:33:15 wireless,debug wlan1: 9E:DE:D0:72:48:BB in local ACL, accept 
12:33:15 wireless,info 9E:DE:D0:72:48:BB@wlan1: connected, signal strength -42 
12:33:35 wireless,info 9E:DE:D0:72:48:BB@wlan1: disconnected, extensive data loss 
Note that I'm currently placing the extender about 5m from the hAP (just to set it up). After the last message, it doesn't retry to connect to hAP anymore (at least I see no further messages with that MAC)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:34 pm

So you do connect, but are disconnected 20 seconds later for "extensive data loss". The data package or the ACKnowledgement does not pass the connection.

Question is why? Interference is the first suspect.

This are the settings that matter. Most is default.

/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] antenna-gain=0 band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX country=argentina disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=2437 frequency-mode=\
manual-txpower installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik-2 station-roaming=enabled wireless-protocol=802.11

What to check?

manual-txpower and antenna-gain=0 : can set the TX power too high for a good signal.(Indoor there is a lot of reflection). Antenna -gain of a "hAP ac Lite" is 2 dBi. It should be set as such, and will reduce the TX power with 2dBm. Certainly if not manual-txpower is selected but regulatory domain the TXpower will be normallised. Normally for 2.4 GHz one reduces the TXpower with 7 dBm compared to 5 GHz. It's not uncommon to run WLAN1 at 13dBm total. (11 dBm radio+ 2 dBm antenna gain). With 6.46.7 RouterOS, the antenna gain setting is probably removed from the Winbox GUI. You can just change it in "New Terminal".

channel-width=20/40mhz-XX . Even as you set frequency=2437 you still don't know what part of the spectrum is used. It could be channel 1+6 or channel 6+11 when selecting XX. For this test reduce it to "20 MHz" then you know you are using channel 6. Verify the RF spectrum around with "Freq usage" and "Snooper" for other transmitters. Move to channel 1 or channel 11 if needed.

And the last thing is the placement of the hAP ac Lite. Metal surfaces around, or being in a corner can deteriorate the signal.
What happens (what is in the log) when you directly connect to the hAP ac Lite , ssid Mikrotik-2, with a computer or handheld device ? Does it disconnect as well ?

But the rest of your config is missing!. It could be something with the bridge (protocol mode) blocking the WLAN1 interface, or some other setting than prevents data to pass.

andresq
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 pm

Thanks @bpwl for the advice, I did some tweaking, here is the updated output of /interface wireless export hide-sensitive
# sep/28/2020 16:17:37 by RouterOS 6.46.7
# software id = A8NY-0LCN
#
# model = RB952Ui-5ac2nD
# serial number = CC400B1428FB
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n country=argentina disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik-2 \
    station-roaming=enabled wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-XXXX country=argentina disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto installation=indoor mode=\
    ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik-5 station-roaming=enabled wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk group-key-update=1h mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface wireless access-list
The router is placed on top of my desktop computer, on one end of the apartment (hence the need for a repeater). Unfortunately, it's not easy to move but I could if it's a must.

When I connect to hAP with other devices (laptops, mobile phones, etc) I can connect fine, with no disconnects (except from the devices which are far away from the router which lose signal and reconnect), for example:
16:18:26 wireless,info B0:55:08:4F:71:62@wlan1: connected, signal strength -40 
this was my phone connecting about 10 minutes ago, no further logs

thanks for your help!

andresq
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 pm

I do get from time to time logs of devices disconnecting, which I assume they do because they are too far away from the hAP (and with walls in between), for example:
16:28:45 wireless,info 38:DE:AD:6B:B1:24@wlan1: disconnected, extensive data loss 
16:28:47 wireless,info 38:DE:AD:6B:B1:24@wlan1: connected, signal strength -87 
16:38:37 wireless,info 38:DE:AD:6B:B1:24@wlan1: disconnected, extensive data loss 
16:38:39 wireless,info 38:DE:AD:6B:B1:24@wlan1: connected, signal strength -87 

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:40 am

Question is : how can this happen?
12:33:15 wireless,info 9E:DE:D0:72:48:BB@wlan1: connected, signal strength -42
12:33:35 wireless,info 9E:DE:D0:72:48:BB@wlan1: disconnected, extensive data loss

-42dBm is a very strong signal (-87 dBm is just at the point of failing), and still be disconnected? 45dB difference is a 30000 times stronger signal. The -42 dBm is the signal coming from the TP-Link. The hAP ac Lite seems to be set even stronger. The receiver of the TP-link might be saturated.

Not everything is in the log. There is a lot of real time information in the wireless "registration table". (Signal strengths, CCQ, "interface rate with speed/number of streams / short guard", etc etc.
(In winbox select "detail mode" at the right down arrow). There you can see what the connection is like during these 20 seconds. It might reveal the reason for the extensive data loss.

Don't ever trust the "auto" frequency selection. Just setting it to 2437 was a better choice.
The root cause can still be in the other part of your configuration.

vasylich
just joined

Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:45 pm

Thanks @bpwl for the advice, I did some tweaking, here is the updated output of /interface wireless export hide-sensitive

thanks for your help!
Hello!
Were you successfull in solving the problem?

I have the same issue with the combo of hap ac2 + tp link RE305. RE305 goes to reboot and I have this "extensive data loss" in mikrotik logs.
Repeater is connected only to 5GHz wifi of router, laptop connected to repeater also via 5GHz wifi.
Noticed, that they work together more stable when I limit upload speed of the "client"(eg laptop) which is behind the RE305 repeater to 30Mbps max .
here is the config discussed.
# feb/16/2022 00:26:59 by RouterOS 6.49.2
# software id = 5VK4-MTN4
#
# model = RBD52G-5HacD2HnD
# serial number = A6470A43365C
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] antenna-gain=0 band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=\
    20/40/80mhz-XXXX disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=5220 mode=ap-bridge \
    name=5GHz ssid=77MOPKOBOK station-roaming=enabled wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys \
    supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk mode=dynamic-keys name=profile1 \
    supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode \
    antenna-gain=0 band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-XX disabled=no \
    distance=indoors frequency=2422 mode=ap-bridge name=2GHz_N \
    security-profile=profile1 ssid=Sunrise station-roaming=enabled \
    wireless-protocol=802.11
overall Tx CCQ 60-90%
When connected to AP on my phone - no disconnections or rebooting (but the speed is no more then 25Mbps (limitation of mobile network in my case).
Or maybe some else found the answer.. )

Best regards.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:39 pm

#
/interface wireless
Really puzzled here: How did you set antenna-gain=0 on a hAP ac2 with release 6.49.2, and even get it exported ?
My devices insist on getting antenna-gain not less than 3.

vasylich
just joined

Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:10 am

#
/interface wireless
Really puzzled here: How did you set antenna-gain=0 on a hAP ac2 with release 6.49.2, and even get it exported ?
My devices insist on getting antenna-gain not less than 3.
That was the default value.
Just checked now: /interface wireless set antenna-gain=N works fine. Maybe its country specific or something.

Chriswm
just joined

Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:33 am

Ran into the same problem with three different TP-Link extenders that cannot connect to my 4-year old MikroTik HAP ac2 router.

Interestingly, two of these extenders had connected in the past but could not connect any more.

In the end I factory reset my MikroTik router and that solved the problem instantly with all three the extenders that can connect again.

Since I haven't touched the configuration of the router prior to this, my only conclusion is that over time some buffer/memory started to over flow or that a setting was somehow changed/lost.