Community discussions

MikroTik App

ef3t2qs
just joined
Topic Author

SwOs - Suggestion for improvements

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:53 pm

Hello together,

I don´t know if there is already such a suggestions thread, but I would start to collect with you for the Mikrotik Support any improvements, because some points are not so good. As a Software/Web-Developer I have many issues found in SwOS, for example the Change Password dialog, for me as a User, I have no Information how should be the Pattern of a Password, can it contains special character like ' or ", and how about the max length? My Passwords are most 20 characters long with special characters.
So after my first SwOS install, I just wanted to set the initial password, which at beginning none exists, only username admin. So i tried to enter the new 20 character long password:
TooLong.png

Woow a Message appears with no content, how long can It be?
So in the debugger window (F12) of your browser, you can attach to the JavaScript, and see that value is greater than 15 character long, but for normal user, this information should be on the page!

TooLong-15-length.png
Please see the HTML5 size attributes, here you can already define the max textbox value length:
https://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/att_input_size.asp

Missing in SwitchOS are Logs- & Event-Entries which are happening in background, are any plans for this??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aviper
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: SwOs - Suggestion for improvements

Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Not sure if this would be a good place to copy the feature requests from CSS6xx thread, beacuse it is SwOS Lite, not SwOS, but if Mikrotik forum administrators think that there should be two different threads they could split them:

SwOS Lite feature request:
1) SNMP v2c - with read and write mode
2) Enable/disable port by SNMP
3) Change port description by SNMP
4) Change port vlan mode and vlans by SNMP

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:29 am

That is one of my pet peeves - We won't tell you what the password requirements are - but there are requirements. Unfortunately that is VERY common!

aon
just joined

Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:03 pm

+1 on at least telling what the max length of the password is in the error message. Completely unnecessary work to have to look up this thread via Google to figure it out :-)

McSpittyDePaint
just joined

Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:47 pm

Through trial and error, the max password length is 16 which is a bit too short if you ask me.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:43 pm

keep in mind SwOS devices have very limited/scarce resources

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:02 am

I really need this fixed. Version 2.17 can not take a 20 character password that is standard in the environment. Very embarrassing.